Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times

Advertisements

it is a fact, AshevilleNative...and very kind of you to actually offer to DO something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. [/color] I know it doesn't play well with those that practice self delusion, but none the less, it is a fact.
Wow, I like that! That is exactly how I feel. Hmm...thinking maybe I need to hang out more in this forum. It's nice to know that I am not alone on my feelings regarding this.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
I've come across the prayer request from friends/family members on multiple occasions. If it's from someone far away I just usually state "my thoughts are with you" etc and then I'll send them an appropriate card or note. If it's from someone close by I'll offer my help (versus saying I'll pray for you) then I'll go and help them with meals, errands, pick up/drop off their kids or help them with household chores. So basically I skirt around the "I'll pray for you" niceties in action versus words if I can.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I've come across the prayer request from friends/family members on multiple occasions. If it's from someone far away I just usually state "my thoughts are with you" etc and then I'll send them an appropriate card or note. If it's from someone close by I'll offer my help (versus saying I'll pray for you) then I'll go and help them with meals, errands, pick up/drop off their kids or help them with household chores. So basically I skirt around the "I'll pray for you" niceties in action versus words if I can.
Society would be a better place if the shallow and lazy didn't skirt helping others by platitudes of "I'll pray for you" (if they actually do), and actually did SOMETHING. I suspect many are sincere, but I suspect many use it as a brush off to do absolutely nothing, not that it matters, for both are equally effective.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I don't usually spend much time in this forum because honestly I do not know much about religion nor do I have a specific label for myself. I am pretty sure there isn't a god. I have nothing against anyone that attends church and most of my friends are spiritual. So my question is, how do you politely deal with when people ask you to pray for them or a loved one? Recently quite a few of my friends are dealing the stress of family illnesses. I care about my friends but do not feel comfortable saying, "yes, I will pray for you and your family." I usually get around it by saying things like, "My thoughts are with you and your family" Or "Sending best wishes your way." Both responses feel like I am trying to avoid or does not seem very heart felt because I know they want to hear that I will pray for them. I guess I could lie but that seems silly as well.

So just curious what others would do in these situations?
Those answers are pretty shallow and meaningless, just as "you are in our prayers" is shallow and meaningless. It absolves people of guilt and responsibility.

I try not to get involved in situations like that. When people ask me to pray with\for them, I'll often respond with "no thanks." I've often been in situations where people would prayer in my vicinity, such as Thanksgiving, where some fifty members of my family gather, I'll simply be quiet while they pray. Then we all get to eat.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
I usually give out a very unenthusiastic "yeah, sure" or something along those lines. I'll opt for silence when I can get away with it. Most people who know me know I'm not exactly the religious type, so I don't get asked very often to do such a thing. It's been years since the last time I was asked to pray for anybody.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Those answers are pretty shallow and meaningless, just as "you are in our prayers" is shallow and meaningless. It absolves people of guilt and responsibility.

I try not to get involved in situations like that. When people ask me to pray with\for them, I'll often respond with "no thanks." I've often been in situations where people would prayer in my vicinity, such as Thanksgiving, where some fifty members of my family gather, I'll simply be quiet while they pray. Then we all get to eat.
Honestly, I feel that way as well. Every time I say "My thoughts are with you" I feel like some sort of Star Wars Jedi. "Let the force be with you." When I say, "I am sorry you are going through this. Is there anything I can do?" feels real to me and well...it is. I truly mean it. The whole prayer thing at Thanksgiving really irks me. I know family members that only do this on Thanksgiving. What about every other meal?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 AM

431 posts, read 474,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Honestly, I feel that way as well. Every time I say "My thoughts are with you" I feel like some sort of Star Wars Jedi. "Let the force be with you." When I say, "I am sorry you are going through this. Is there anything I can do?" feels real to me and well...it is. I truly mean it. The whole prayer thing at Thanksgiving really irks me. I know family members that only do this on Thanksgiving. What about every other meal?
some of our family pray before eating i just keep quite until they have finished and then get on with eating the meal .

it makes them happy does me no harm why bother to object

if im asked to pray for a loved one who is sick i say ill send you some karma

saying the pledge of alleigence i skip the words under god sometimes replacing them with *under dog *

fuuniest thing i heard was

im a atheist i swear by god i am

ill agree to teaching religion in schools if they agree to teach maths in church

Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,211 times
When Christians ask you to pray, just agree then say a prayer to the Earth Mother, the sun, or some other pagan non-Christian deity. You can find some good ones online.

I guarantee they won't ask you to pray again.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
ill agree to teaching religion in schools if they agree to teach maths in church
Sorry, but I have a higher price tag for such a travesty. They'd have to teach legitimate science (including evolution), legitimate U.S. and world history, rational thinking and the true history of The Bible and Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism