Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on "killing in the name of their God or Gods".
I'll start:
During the Pequot War in 1637, five hundred Indian men, woman and children died. They were burned alive along with their homes and personal belongings. Who did this? An angry, vengeful Puritan militia intent on doing God's will. "We must burn them!" they cried. Indians are close to Satan. Purging the land of the devils people was thought a sane thing to do.
Amazing, isn't it!!

Feel free to add your own acts of killing or harming others in the name of God. You can include wars, acts of violence, long term traditional religious practices that harm humans. It just has to be for religious reasons, justified through a belief in God, or Gods.

Crazy people kill or harm people everyday but I've never seen anything like the "Lord" influence such a large group of people to condone heinous crimes.

So, let me know, which acts of harm justified by a the "God" freaks you out? Also, as a side note, did any of these acts or all have an influence on why you continue to protect yourself from believers in politics or any other form of governing or law making?

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-26-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM

294 posts, read 191,672 times
Let's be fair and I will include this fact.

Quote made by Vladimir Lenin:
Religion is the opium of the people: this saying of Marx is the cornerstone of the entire ideology of Marxism about religion. All modern religions and churches, all and of every kind of religious organizations are always considered by Marxism as the organs of bourgeois reaction, used for the protection of the exploitation and the stupefaction of the working class.

He used this idea to institute what is known as gosateizm or State Atheism.

Lenin and Trotsky killed at least 4 million people - men, women and children - by mass executions, death camps, and state-caused famine

The Bolsheviks destroyed Russia's economy. By 1920 the ruble had lost 96 percent of its value.
Lenin and Trotsky's oppression became ferocious as the cities ran out of food due to the collapse of the economy, caused by themselves and their stupid Marxist ideas. Innocent rural Russia was robbed of its food and butchered and starved by the parasitical (literally) urban communists.
The Bolsheviks started a massive program of confiscating the food of the countryside, and starved them into submission.
The monsters Lenin and Trotsky deliberately started a famine as a political weapon. They caused the massive famine of 1921-2, deliberately killing 2.5 million men, women and little children by some estimates or 5 million, according to others.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post

Religion is the opium of the people: this saying of Marx is the cornerstone of the entire ideology of Marxism about religion. All modern religions and churches, all and of every kind of religious organizations are always considered by Marxism as the organs of bourgeois reaction, used for the protection of the exploitation and the stupefaction of the working class.

Lenin and Trotsky killed at least 4 million people - men, women and children - by mass executions, death camps, and state-caused famine

The Bolsheviks destroyed Russia's economy. By 1920 the ruble had lost 96 percent of its value.
Lenin and Trotsky's oppression became ferocious as the cities ran out of food due to the collapse of the economy, caused by themselves and their stupid Marxist ideas. Innocent rural Russia was robbed of its food and butchered and starved by the parasitical (literally) urban communists.
The Bolsheviks started a massive program of confiscating the food of the countryside, and starved them into submission.
The monsters Lenin and Trotsky deliberately started a famine as a political weapon. They caused the massive famine of 1921-2, deliberately killing 2.5 million men, women and little children by some estimates or 5 million, according to others.
The problem with this is that none of the killings were done because of atheism. The killings had political motives, not religious ones.

People kill because of what they believe, not because of what they do not believe in. Stalin was a paranoid who killed millions to consolidate his power. Totalitarianism, not atheism, was the driving force. Those who claim he was killing because of atheism conveniently ignore facts that show their claim to be bogus. He killed lots of people, not just Christians. He killed other atheists who disagreed with him. He went after the Orthodox Church not because of their beliefs, but because they were a political power and he wanted all the power in his own hands.

Stalin killed for political reasons, not because he was an atheist

Quote:
Between 1945 and 1959 under Stalin’s leadership the official organization of the church was greatly expanded, although individual members of the clergy were occasionally arrested and exiled. The number of open churches went from about 500 to 25,000. By 1957 about 22,000 Russian Orthodox churches had become active.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with this is that none of the killings were done because of atheism. The killings had political motives, not religious ones.

People kill because of what they believe, not because of what they do not believe in. Stalin was a paranoid who killed millions to consolidate his power. Totalitarianism, not atheism, was the driving force. Those who claim he was killing because of atheism conveniently ignore facts that show their claim to be bogus. He killed lots of people, not just Christians. He killed other atheists who disagreed with him. He went after the Orthodox Church not because of their beliefs, but because they were a political power and he wanted all the power in his own hands.

Stalin killed for political reasons, not because he was an atheist

I quoted Lenin not Stalin. Those figures were also for Lenin.

Atheism breeds a lack of respect for the sanctity of life. Which can easily lead to a person doing whatever he wants, since there is no God anyway.

He may not have went around screaming "ATHEISM" at the top of his lungs, but make no mistake, atheism was a big factor in his make-up.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:

That had nothing to do with atheism.

Just people adhering to doctrine/manifesto, much like what happens in religion.

Communism isn't an aspect of atheism, that should be an easy concept to grasp.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That had nothing to do with atheism.

Just people adhering to doctrine/manifesto, much like what happens in religion.

Communism isn't an aspect of atheism, that should be an easy concept to grasp.

Unlike reading?

Lenin made Russia an "Atheist State". It was the "national religion" for lack of a better term.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Unlike reading?

Lenin made Russia an "Atheist State". It was the "national religion" for lack of a better term.
Atheism is not a religion, pure and simple, and nor will you be able to show that it is.

Communism/marxism was the "religion" (for lack of a better word).

By accepting Lenin's corruption of a word, you are perhaps showing a willingness to accept anything your leaders say, as a fact. The sign of a true believer.

You would make a good communist I suspect.

Last edited by Joe90; 03-27-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM

120 posts, read 124,401 times
Let's not cloud issues here, folks. If we're going to demand that theists accept the evils committed by other theists, then it's only fair that we accept that evils have been committed by atheists, as well.

The question is what was done in the name of what. None of the religious evils were done in the name of Theism, but instead done on the name of religions such as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

By the same token, none of the evils committed by atheists were done in the name of Atheism, but in the name of political philosophies like Communism.

It's also helpful to note the inspiration behind the dictators. Yes, Lenin and Stalin were atheists, but only because the idea of God was a threat to their god-complexes. What they were trying to institute was a state religion in which they were the gods everyone worshiped. But that people like this become atheists does not mean that this is a problem endemic to atheism.

Quote:
Atheism breeds a lack of respect for the sanctity of life.
Hi. I'm an atheist. I'm vocal about it. I don't "respect religion", and I'm not a "faitheist" or an "accomodationist".

I'm also a Secular Humanist and Darwinist. This means that life is extremely important to me. I am against the taking of life whenever possible, and I fully believe in human rights and total egalitarianism.

Atheism breeds nothing, and I mean nothing. It is an answer to the question "do you believe in god(s)?". That's it. Nothing more. It is the lack of Theism and that's it.

Can people please recognize and accept this? I'm getting annoyed at having to repeat myself about it...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM

What happened in Russia happened in the name of economic theory. There is no logical connection to atheism.

Communism isn't atheism, and vice versa.

A connection of atheism to communism/marxism could only be possible by a true believer in communism/marxism.

Therefore those that believe the two are one and the same, must be communists/marxists.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:

I am so glad you brought this up. I knew the thread would be hi jacked by a theist and I was pretty sure they'd use this old stand by.
I'll tell you the puzzling difference. Lenin and Trotsky weren't Gods, they were people with real power to hurt and influence people to kill others. I get that one, I get that people could be so afraid of these other people in power that they might kill to not be killed.
What I don't get is doing it for an imaginary God that you have free will of. I don't get killing or mutilating people for something you can't see, touch, see or hear. Something that only you believe in. That is what I cannot wrap my head around.
In my logical mind I think theist are just liars, using their belief in a God to do their own will. But, they deny this to the end. So, do you know of any acts done by people for the will of their God? Because their God thinks others are doing evil things? If not then this isn't the thread for you.

But just as note: I feel horrible for anyone brutally murdered. It just isn't what this thread is about. It's about doing these things for something I can't see, hear or touch. Something you can make up and get will from to murder people. While the guy preaching Gods will might be crazy, are the followers crazy as well? Their lives aren't threatened by anything but their imaginary fear of the devil. Scary stuff, IMO. Not to mention wacking little boys and girls private parts off in the name of it. Depending which God you're listening to. Yikes!!

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-27-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism