Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times

Advertisements

By a higher thinking possibly "alien" race of beings? Does that make you an atheist?

I tend to believe this more than anything...

Holy Bible Aliens » mauro biglino

I believe truth is stranger than fiction and we as human beings have been and are being lied to about our past and where we came from. I believe theories about mankind ala Zacharia Sitchin make a hell of a lot more sense and would explain a lot more than any religion. It also would be a lot scarier than any religious hell we can imagine. IF we were just a species that was created as we do with dogs by higher beings who have outlived our purpose and have been left to our own devices? Scary and enlightening altogether.

Do any of you atheists entertain this type of thinking or leaning towards man's creation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
It would just mean that aliens made us, not god.

BTW, I don't think aliens made humans... maybe aliens could have seeded the primordial earth with simple life forms billions of years ago, but humanity really does fit within natural evolution perfectly despite the holes in the fossil record. There is no evidence we were genetically tampered with at anytime in the past.

The "smoking gun "of Sitchen's theory (aside from written Sumerian Mythology) is the fact the Sumerians seemed to spring out of nowhere as a fully-formed advanced civilization.

That does NOT mean aliens were at work, however. I think that is just evidence even earlier civilizations once existed that we know nothing about, perhaps even going as far back as 50,000 years. After all, 50,000 year old humans were biologically identical to ourselves and we just can't expect much to remain after so much time, geologically speaking. Even 5000 years ago is a very long time; perhaps the reason we find the oldest known civilizations in the Middle East may simply because the environment there is favorable for long-term preservation, not because it's truly the "Cradle of Civilization".

Not to mention Sitchens made stuff up and called it ancient translation; when pressed on certain "translations" he failed to provide the ancient sources, and the accuracy translations themselves are often challenged by scholars.

Anway, what we DON'T know about ourself and origins probably does outweigh what we do, but we don't need to turn to alien explanations to fill in the gaps.

My "supernatural B.S." detector usually goes off when the supposed "supernatural" phenomenon is acting according to human psychology, and genetically creating a slave race to mine gold for you while you pretent to be their gods is something humans would do, not hyper-advanced extraterrestrial beings who can traverse the galaxy.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
By a higher thinking possibly "alien" race of beings? Does that make you an atheist?

I believe truth is stranger than fiction and we as human beings have been and are being lied to about our past and where we came from. I believe theories about mankind ala Zacharia Sitchin make a hell of a lot more sense and would explain a lot more than any religion. It also would be a lot scarier than any religious hell we can imagine. IF we were just a species that was created as we do with dogs by higher beings who have outlived our purpose and have been left to our own devices? Scary and enlightening altogether.

Do any of you atheists entertain this type of thinking or leaning towards man's creation?
In short. No. I might as well accept something like Scientology.

South Park Proved Right About Scientology XENU Story - YouTube

Well hey Scientology's myths just as strange as any other myths.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

BTW, I don't think aliens made humans... maybe aliens could have seeded the primordial earth with simple life forms billions of years ago, but humanity really does fit within natural evolution perfectly despite the holes in the fossil record. There is no evidence we were genetically tampered with at anytime in the past.

Star Trek The Next Generation (The Chase 1993) - YouTube

Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
And all this time I thought it was because there was no CGI and facial prosthetics were easy on the budget.

People don't give science fiction writers enough credit though. If there was a god, that is what he/she/it would be like.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

The "smoking gun "of Sitchen's theory (aside from written Sumerian Mythology) is the fact the Sumerians seemed to spring out of nowhere as a fully-formed advanced civilization.

That does NOT mean aliens were at work, however. I think that is just evidence even earlier civilizations once existed that we know nothing about, perhaps even going as far back as 50,000 years. After all, 50,000 year old humans were biologically identical to ourselves and we just can't expect much to remain after so much time, geologically speaking. Even 5000 years ago is a very long time; perhaps the reason we find the oldest known civilizations in the Middle East may simply because the environment there is favorable for long-term preservation, not because it's truly the "Cradle of Civilization".

Not to mention Sitchens made stuff up and called it ancient translation; when pressed on certain "translations" he failed to provide the ancient sources, and the accuracy translations themselves are often challenged by scholars.

Anway, what we DON'T know about ourself and origins probably does outweigh what we do, but we don't need to turn to alien explanations to fill in the gaps.

My "supernatural B.S." detector usually goes off when the supposed "supernatural" phenomenon is acting according to human psychology, and genetically creating a slave race to mine gold for you while you pretent to be their gods is something humans would do, not hyper-advanced extraterrestrial beings who can traverse the galaxy.
That ancient pre-Sumerian civilization was actually discovered, I'm always surprised by how poorly information about this has diffused among the general population, but good on you for intuiting this without even knowing! A site called Gobekli Tepe in Eastern Turkey was uncovered where a 12 thousand year old masonry temple was discovered covered in fairly sophisticated stone statues and bas reliefs. The culture that built it was apparently pre-agrarian, overturning the idea that agriculture lead to civilized, sedentary towns. It seems that there's a good chance that in the middle east the towns and temples came first, and agriculture followed afterwards. It should be noted, however, that while the apparently hunter gatherer society that constructed the temple clearly had skilled artisans who'd had enough time to develop and master a tradition of engineering and stone carving, the techniques used were still not more advanced than those of (much) later Sumeria. Likely, something of this much older culture and it's heritage survived to influence Sumerian ways of doing things.

Anyhow, I have degrees in the field of human biology and can attest to the idea that there doesn't appear to have been any tampering with our DNA, it very consistently follows the evolutionary path and is filled with regional idiosyncracies, transposons, and other silly artifacts that don't suggest the genome was intelligently designed. I'd believe it if there was sufficient evidence, but I'd take convincing. Indeed, it does seem like it'd be easier to prove than a deity, but that's not really saying a whole lot.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 04-10-2012 at 02:22 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post

Though the possibility is so extremely improbable, it is still more plausible than some mythical deity doing an abracadabra routine.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:43 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Wink "An" hovering Le Creuset Crock Pot! Quick! Run Fur Yur Lives!

It is interesting that those who happily posit some ancient but highly advanced civilization (aka: George Noory every night on C2C AM Radio..) or talk of visiting hyper-intelligent alien beings, are always pointing to well-formed stone pyramids or nicely-surfaced rocks and carvings that only lightly suggest some alien spacecraft or helicopter, and saying: "See?".

Now, if I had the technical ability to warp time & space in terms of millions of light years, and could construct a space-craft out of immensely strong but ultra-light and radar-invisible fabricants, why on earth would I be tinkering with stone construction? Why not an indestructible black obelisk? (as with 2001; A Space Odyssey)

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=uoan860n.Cy

Just to impress the ancient goat-herd peons or their eventual descendants some thousands of years later (us...), when we at least fully understand and can make such things as carbon-fiber structures and advanced zero-g-formed alloys?

A spacecraft made of well-formed stoneware? A sort of Crock-Pot with an anti-Grav drive unit on board?

Sure, I get it!

Image Detail for - http://athome.kimvallee.com/images/blog_kimvallee_com/WindowsLiveWriter/TheChallengersL.EmileHenryFlameTopTagine_D4B2/lecreuset_moroccantagine%5B16%5D.jpg

Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Now, if I had the technical ability to warp time & space in terms of millions of light years, and could construct a space-craft out of immensely strong but ultra-light and radar-invisible fabricants, why on earth would I be tinkering with stone construction? Why not an indestructible black obelisk? (as with 2001; A Space Odyssey)
Duh! The earth was like what Australia was like to England when they sent their prisoners there. Hello!

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 04-16-2012 at 01:13 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I agree with Chango, in that the climate in the Middle East has a lot to do with preservation. It's not that humans didn't live in the Americas 50thousand years ago, it's also because too much time passed to find anything plus so much was probably destroyed by other humans setting up camp and passing through and natural causes.
I don't think aliens seeded earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism