Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,384,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
This forum has the following rule: This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert atheists or agnostics I'm just trying to follow that rule.
By all means start a thread on the Religion and Spirituality subforum. Or enter into one of the MANY already existing ones. I never once said I would only engage with you on THIS forum. I just said I would not engage with your behind closed doors in private messaging.

Quote:
What is your idea of the fate of a wicked man? What is your idea of the fate of a righteous man?
I do not understand the question. I have no idea what you are asking me. Nor do I see it's relevance to the post you quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,384,153 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: The quoted post has been deleted.
So the relevance has nothing to do with the post you replied to then. You just replied to my post written to someone else to make a totally unrelated point about the forum rules. As I said, we are not confined to this forum.

There is nothing wrong with talking Christianity in this forum. That is not the same thing as proselytizing.

And finally I still do not understand the question. What "Ultimate Fate" are you referring to. I see no reason at this time to think anyone's "Ultimate Fate" differs that wildly from anyone elses, in that we all appear to live, get born, and die.

If you have substantive evidence or argument that anything other than this is the case I am certainly all ears/eyes.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-15-2015 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: The quoted post has been deleted.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:49 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Arrgh!!! Pet Peeve alert! Most of us are both agnostic and atheist. The categories are not mutually exclusive.

Secondly, quite a lot of us have been believers, we know what Christianity is. That is why we left!

-NoCapo
Yes. Of course, Gibson -player is using the terms to mean "Someone who isn't as closed -minded as a card -carrying Atheist and can be persuaded to believe in God, with the right arguments."

So, Gibson-player to whom I am now addressing my post...Just who will explain to them the real character of God?

Don't tell me the Bible. Start on the Bible and first off you get to Eden. Then your open -minded agnostic says: "But that was a stitch up! God set the whole thing up to guarantee that Adam would disobey! And he lied - and the snake told the truth. And God punished it for doing what he needed it to do, anyway! And he wished their spunishment on all the descendents! What a bastard! And this is the swine you want me to worship?"

That's what reading the Bible will give your Agnostic. So what do you do? Explain? Guide him to the nicer bits? A bit of Biblical cherry picking?

Or what would you do about it?

Quote:
"Real Christian" Def. "Someone who hasn't left Christianity...yet"

Gibsondude, I like you already! So far I reckon you are 'Explaining' not Prosetylizing..however one spells it.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-15-2015 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: The quoted post has been deleted.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I had this all ready

Quote:
Let me suggest the answer you will get here- we live, we die. Over to you.

If you are deemed by the mods to have crossed the line to prosetylizing, the thread will be closed or moved. So you might consider what you want to talk to us about and making that the subject of a Religion/Spirituality thread. Up to you.

So the answer will , I predict, be "for all we can tell, our bodies will disassemble into the component elements from which it was composed and we will cease to exist other than in whatever we have done of value in order to be remembered." Or words to that effect.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-15-2015 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: The quoted post has been deleted.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:42 AM

273 posts, read 211,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I had this all ready

Let me suggest the answer you will get here- we live, we die. Over to you.

If you are deemed by the mods to have crossed the line to prosetylizing, the thread will be closed or moved. So you might consider what you want to talk to us about and making that the subject of a Religion/Spirituality thread. Up to you.

So the answer will , I predict, be "for all we can tell, our bodies will disassemble into the component elements from which it was composed and we will cease to exist other than in whatever we have done of value in order to be remembered." Or words to that effect.
Thank you. I suspect the answer would be along those lines. I didn't want to assume that.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
A man made imaginary supersize copy of himself (or at least his own social group) invented to explain everything he doesn't have answers for -and a few other handy roles .
So you don't believe that sculpture of a bird or a dog or a tree or a rock can be considered gods also, correct? It must be a "copy of himself"?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So you don't believe that sculpture of a bird or a dog or a tree or a rock can be considered gods also, correct? It must be a "copy of himself"?
I'm impressed That is a good response. Let me put it this way. Of all the religions (and mythologies) you can think of - which one has as the Top God any critter other than a human, and male, at that?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm impressed That is a good response. Let me put it this way. Of all the religions (and mythologies) you can think of - which one has as the Top God any critter other than a human, and male, at that?
I don't know the answer to that.

But let's go with it. So at this point you took my question about what do you believe a god is and changed is to mean what you believe a Top god is. So let's remove TOP gods from the question. What do you believe A god is? What is your definition that you would apply to a top god or a lesser god defining simply what a "god" is to you.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:30 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,043,717 times
Quote:
In July 2002, the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine (IOM) Immunization Safety Committee convened a study into SV40 and cancer which culminated in a report published in October 2002. According to the IOM report “SV40 Contamination of Polio Vaccine and Cancer”:
The committee concludes that the biological evidence is strong that SV40 is a transforming [i.e., cancer-causing] virus, . . . that the biological evidence is of moderate strength that SV40 exposure could lead to cancer in humans under natural conditions, [and] that the biological evidence is of moderate strength that SV40 exposure from the polio vaccine is related to SV40 infection in humans

SV40-Cancer-Polio Vaccine Link
Don't be a tool - show the ENTIRE story vs. taking quotes out of context, as true believers are so fond of doing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SV40

"SV-40 discovery revealed that between 1955 and 1963 around 90% of children and 60% of adults in USA were inoculated with SV40-contaminated polio vaccines.[1]"

Okay, so possibly something went wrong with some vaccines. That is hardly a logical argument that ALL polio vaccines cause problems - heck, they aren't even sure if SV40 causes cancer - nor an argument against vaccination in general. Based on that sad excuse for "logic," I guess you also don't: eat any food because sometimes it can be contaminated with illnesses causing bacteria, breath any air because it might contain toxins, or drink any water for the same reason. You don't use cars or roads because sometimes something goes wrong with them, and so on.

I'm tired of this - your arguments are groundless, you have zero supporting evidence for anything you've said so far, and you quickly frankly don't give a rat's behind about anyone else if you think it's okay for people to skip vaccinations for idiotic "religious" reasons and thus put the lives of others at risk.

This thread has drifted way off topic because of your nonsense, and you're also trying to ramrod your religion down the throats of others, which is expressly forbidden in this forum. Quite frankly, this thread should be closed since there's nothing left to be said. Nobody here cares a bit about your "reasoning" and laughable "debate skills." Grow up.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know the answer to that.

But let's go with it. So at this point you took my question about what do you believe a god is and changed is to mean what you believe a Top god is. So let's remove TOP gods from the question. What do you believe A god is? What is your definition that you would apply to a top god or a lesser god defining simply what a "god" is to you.
Well, I already gave you that and you introduced the idea of gods that were non -human.

My point is that a god is "A man made imaginary supersize copy of himself (or at least his own social group) invented to explain everything he doesn't have answers for -" and I must add, since YOU introduced the ideas of gods that were non- human -not me - helpers of the god or gods that are in charge. If they need a steed, a divine horse with wings. If a messenger, a divine eagle. If something to do with the sea, well, it still needs a human top -god though he may have a fish -tail as part of the costume.

As below, so above. The gods we have are human. They may have animal heads, but that is usually through some misadventure. They can have divine critters and pets around as animal gods, too.

But the main response is the same. A god in the sense we normally think of it is going to be what I said. Introducing supernatural animals, whether or not we regard them as gods or not, is really beside the point.

In any meaningful way, my answer stands. A god is a divinized copy of ourselves and divine or supernatural animal helpers do not really alter my view on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism