Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times

Advertisements

Hi,
One of my really close friends in LA is pro life and believes that marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman. He professes atheism. A few months ago I started a thread here asking if there were pro life atheists and if they received any flack for their stance, and some said that they did, while others said it wasn't an issue amongst their atheist friends. So, I was just wondering, is their any tension between socially and fiscally conservative atheists and more liberally minded ones? Just curious. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Hmmm, I don't know about atheists, but I am agnostic and a conservative, so pretty close. But it truly is how one defines conservative. I am of the Libertarian view. I believe highly in fiscal conservatism and also think the government should be small and stay out of people's way. On the social side, I think people should be left alone to do pretty much what they want so long as they are not breaking laws. As what conservatism has come to mean today, then I am not a conservative, yet at the same time, I am not a liberal. Libertarianism, is much closer to what conservatism originally meant and definitely what republicanism (notice the little "r") meant when Jefferson was President.

Do I clash with atheist liberals? Certainly and it's the same clash I have with Christian conservatives. Liberals, to me, are the opposite side of the same coin as Christian conservatives. Liberals want to tell everybody what they should say, what to think, whether or not you should smoke, what you should eat, whether or not you should own firearms, how you HAVE to accept this or that (not realizing the difference between tolerance and acceptance), how you should worship (or not actually), how the government should do everything and BTW hard-working tax payer, you have to pay for it all. I see no real difference in them and the Christian conservative...they just have a different slant on it.

"I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work" -- George Carlin

Old 01-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Hmmm, I don't know about atheists, but I am agnostic and a conservative. But it truly is how one defines conservative. I am of the Libertarian view. I believe highly in fiscal conservatism and also think the government should be small and stay out of people's way. On the social side, I think people should be left alone to do pretty much what they want so long as they are not breaking laws. As what conservatism has come to mean today, then I am not a conservative, yet at the same time, I am not a liberal. Libertarianism, is much closer to what conservatism originally meant and definitely what republicanism (notice the little "r") meant when Jefferson was President.

Do I clash with atheist liberals? Certainly and it's the same clash I have with Christian conservatives. Liberals, to me, are the opposite side of the same coin as Christian conservatives. Liberals want to tell everybody what they should say, what to think, whether or not you should smoke, what you should eat, whether or not you should own firearms, how you HAVE to accept this or that (not realizing the difference between tolerance and acceptance), how you should worship (or not actually), how the government should do everything and BTW hard-working tax payer, you have to pay for it all. I see no real difference in them and the Christian conservative...they just have a different slant on it.

"I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work" -- George Carlin
Thank you for your answer

Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Most atheists I know are pretty liberal.
I am sure there are some conservatives ones out there but I don't see why Atheism makes one liberal or conservative. It just means you don't believe in god, nothing more, nothing less.

As a liberal, I don't think I'm like conservative Christians even though some people may feel that way.

I have conflict with most Conservatives and Republicans and them being atheist wouldn't change that.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Most atheists I know are pretty liberal.
I am sure there are some conservatives ones out there but I don't see why Atheism makes one liberal or conservative. It just means you don't believe in god, nothing more, nothing less.

As a liberal, I don't think I'm like conservative Christians even though some people may feel that way.
Good first point! Unfortunately the Religious Right tends to lump atheist = liberal together don't they? On the other side, I hear many liberals equate Conservative = Religious. Neither of those are true, obviously. The atheist/agnostics I know tend to be more Libertarian...IOW, social issues are not of anybody elses' business and certainly not the damn government's. It could be because of my neck of the woods though. I will never understand why some folks get all bent out of shape about things that do not directly affect them.

Touche! Call it the Uber-Left then. I should have defined that better.

I suppose it's that when I think of the word "liberal", I see Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barak Obama, Barney Frank, and the Hollywood and academic elitists. I do not like them telling me what to do or what's best for me anymore than I like Pat Robertson and his kind doing it. That's what I meant by all that.

Last edited by Fullback32; 01-22-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Good first point! Unfortunately the Religious Right tends to lump atheist = liberal together don't they?

Touche! Call it the Uber-Left then. I should have defined that better.
There are professing Christians that are liberal and professing Christians that are conservative and truth be told, there are conflicts between the two and I was wondering if the same holds true in atheist circles, just wanted raw, honest dialogue. I was just curious; no agenda.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Yes there is. I've been in nearly knock-down drag-out fights with other atheists over politics, usually gun control, health care, taxes, and the like.

I'm a classical liberal in the European sense so I clash with both sides of American politics, conservative and (American) liberalism.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
There are professing Christians that are liberal and professing Christians that are conservative and truth be told, there are conflicts between the two and I was wondering if the same holds true in atheist circles, just wanted raw, honest dialogue. I was just curious; no agenda.

Didn't think you had one at all. I think scamrig said it best. It's over the politics, so Left and Right will clash over those things for sure regardless of religious stance.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Yes there is. I've been in nearly knock-down drag-out fights with other atheists over politics, usually gun control, health care, taxes, and the like.

I'm a classical liberal in the European sense so I clash with both sides of American politics, conservative and (American) liberalism.
Thanks for your answer

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Didn't think you had one at all. I think scamrig said it best. It's over the politics, so Left and Right will clash over those things for sure regardless of religious stance.
Oh, okay, sorry, sometimes intent is hard to read online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism