Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,302,229 times

Advertisements

Hi,
so, i was wondering............
if i was to have twins, wouldn't it be 'interesting' if i raised one of them as an Atheist child (as all children are by default), and the other child,....., wait for it......, brought up believing in Thor and Poseidon!

can you imagine? a 30 year old guy who believes in the hammer of thor and the prongs of poseidon?! lol
just to prove a point, that you 'typically' grow to believe what you're brought up in....

ok ok, i know this probably isn't the best idea...in fact it can be argued to be a very stupid one , but i was thinking about it the other day and thought i'd get you crazzzzies' thoughts on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,613,072 times
I'm sure you could just find one of both at 30 in our society and compare the nuts and bolts. lol

Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
ok ok, i know this probably isn't the best idea...in fact it can be argued to be a very stupid one , but i was thinking about it the other day and thought i'd get you crazzzzies' thoughts on it!
No more stupid than raising them as Christian or any other modern mainstream religion. After all, Thor and Poseidon were mainstream at one point.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
Hi,
if i was to have twins, wouldn't it be 'interesting' if i raised one of them as an Atheist child (as all children are by default), and the other child,....., wait for it......, brought up believing in Thor and Poseidon!

can you imagine? a 30 year old guy who believes in the hammer of thor and the prongs of poseidon?! lol
just to prove a point, that you 'typically' grow to believe what you're brought up in....

Well, the major flaw is how will you raise them both with two separate ideologies? One will be jealous of the other. In particular, the atheist child will wonder why you are giving his sibling a cool god. This may work until they were maybe 3 or 4. But by the time they were 5 or so someone like Thor would definitely seem cool to them. The atheist child would question the differential treatment and will probably wonder why s/he does not deserve a god, too.

I understand your point but your experiment will not work.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, the major flaw is how will you raise them both with two separate ideologies? One will be jealous of the other. In particular, the atheist child will wonder why you are giving his sibling a cool god. This may work until they were maybe 3 or 4. But by the time they were 5 or so someone like Thor would definitely seem cool to them. The atheist child would question the differential treatment and will probably wonder why s/he does not deserve a god, too.

I understand your point but your experiment will not work.
Oh, that's simple......I plan on keeping one of them in the attic where the mice live.....

hehe

no but seriously, i know what you mean and of course this is not a serious thing i'm considering....
my point being that it would be 'interesting' to see the 'devotion' of a kid/adult to a 'forgotten' god like thor, as proof that you will most likely grow to believe in any god you were brought up believing in. I just get a giggle when i think about the irony of that adult arguing with a christy for the existence of his 'Hammer God' and the christy mocking him because 'he's not believing in the right god'

Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,613,072 times
Quote:
Oh, that's simple......I plan on keeping one of them in the attic where the mice live.....

hehe

no but seriously, i know what you mean and of course this is not a serious thing i'm considering....
my point being that it would be 'interesting' to see the 'devotion' of a kid/adult to a 'forgotten' god like thor, as proof that you will most likely grow to believe in any god you were brought up believing in. I just get a giggle when i think about the irony of that adult arguing with a christy for the existence of his 'Hammer God' and the christy mocking him because 'he's not believing in the right god'
Well, one would definitely be devoted to Thor, and the other would be devoted to himself and others. In that case the atheist child would have to just hope Thor saw him in a good light. lol Or else, you might lose one of the twins along the way. I imagine, Thor as all other Gods, acts through his followers.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,399,446 times
Quote:
Hi,

I would argue that all children aren't Atheist by default though.... I think that humans have always had a need/desire to believe in or create something greather than themselves or have a belief in something after this life - that's why there have always been Gods since the beginning of our history...

Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I would argue that all children aren't Atheist by default though.... I think that humans have always had a need/desire to believe in or create something greather than themselves or have a belief in something after this life - that's why there have always been Gods since the beginning of our history...
I don't disagree on your latter point, but all children ARE by default atheists because they don't have the 'fears' (like fear of death) that as you mentioned brings about the 'need or desire' to believe in an afterlife or super natural care taker....

just my opinion of course and i don't have any data to back this up. although this is what makes logical sense to me. it would make for a nice study though, i tell you that!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Thor and Poseidon are from two separate historical belief systems -neither of which dogmatically insisted that a literal belief in the gods was necessary, I might add- with conflicting worldviews and enough comparative relationships to be really confusing and totally mess up a kid. What are you, Wiccan, or something? Sheesh!

:-)

Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I also don't disagree on your suggestion and there is a germ of truth in this 'divine instinct' idea. What I do recall from my infancy and from those I associated with was a complete lack of any belief in anything that might be called gods, let alone any organized theistic idea until they were given in the form of religious instruction.
To that extent, we are all born atheist and we are taught various forms of theism later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism