Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,957 times

Advertisements

This may have been done. I don't think so. So bear with me. I have been reading a certain thread started by a proclaimed atheist and I was wondering about people and their belief systems. I was wondering if there was a reason for one's belief. Where did it begin? Have you ever sat on the other side of the fence? For the atheists; were you at once a believer? If so, what changed you? Science? Logic? A bad date? For the Christian: have you always had faith in your god or did you come to find Him through something that "happened" in your life. I am not looking for any negative input. No hate mongers, please. Be they atheist or Christian. Just a brief history, if you will. Oh, and another thought...if you also don't mind, are you married and do you have children? I know that may seem like an odd bit of information, but for me, I am always amazed at how my life as a parent can (in a very smallish way) parellel, God, the Father's life, with us. It in someway helps to clinch my understanding.

Thank you for sharing. And thank you in advance for keeping it civil. Like your mama always told you, "If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say nothing at all. And be sure to wear clean underwear when you leave the house!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 10:17 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times
I can't say I always disbelieved. I'll say that whenever I gave something some fanciful critical thought, then I came to a conclusion of disbelief. For instance, I naturally bought the Santa idea until at 4 (I think) I started asking about how he gets in if we don't have a chimney, if the doors and windows are locked, etc. My mother is a terrible liar as well so that one was probably the first to go. The rest followed after that. I held on to the tooth fairy for awhile, at least until I ran out of "money" teeth.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM

258 posts, read 790,691 times
(This was many many many years ago) I was very unhappy. I had searched every avenue for something to bring me joy but never could hold onto that happiness very long. Then one day someone wrote me, sending me this horribly demonic artwork, yet asserting he was born again. He mailed me many letters about his faith but all these pictures he was drawing were nothing any Christian I ever knew would draw. Though I knew something of religion from studies in religion, I was certainly no expert in "faith", but I thought some of his Christian ideas were twisted, for instance he kept telling me he drank blood because blood was sacred and beat himself till he was bloodied to honor Christ.

So I went to my garage where I stored unpacked boxes and began looking for some magazines that Jehovah's Witnesses had given me in the previous town we lived in. Since I was moving within days of their arrival at my door I just threw the magazines in a box and that's where they stayed for upward of a year. I went looking for them because I figured they might have some sort of information or Scriptures in them to let this guy know his ideas were a bit off.

I sat down with the magazines, one was called "Does God Really Care About Us?," another was called "What Is The Purpose Of LIfe And How Can You Find It?," and the last was called "What Does God Require Of Us?" I think it was in the first magazine that I read something like "If God created us, it is reasonable to acknowledge that as our Creator He knows what will make us happy." I was struck by that. I'd never thought of God to bring me happiness. In fact up until that moment I'd been angry at God for all the suffering in the world, especially the holocaust (a documentary of which I'd just watched on tv) and didn't really want anything to do with God for that reason. I don't know what it was that compelled me to challenge this person who was writing me either, because I didn't know him from Jack, but something was moving me to learn Scripture and looking back I think perhaps this person was just a tool used by God to draw me to Him.

Anyway, I read all the magazines and found myself moved to tears several times as I read them. After I finished I broke down thinking of all the times I'd slammed the door in Witnesses faces, hid from them, lied to them, all attempts to rudely avoid them and here all along were they people who obviously loved God. I wrote the address on the back and asked if they would send a Witness to me that I might apologise. As I waited I started studying religion again, seriously. I began taking clippings from papers on religious news and as I pieced things together I started to see that most Christian faiths were not behaving very Christlike at all.

When the Witnesses arrived at my door I had a thousand questions for them and I showed them all my clippings and asked a thousand questions about them too. I was impressed that every single thing they said they backed up with Scripture. Other Christians never seemed to do that, instead they just expressed what they "thought," what their personal opinions were, just like the guy who had written me. I had preconcieved ideas about Jehovah's Witnesses, there is a lot of prejudice against them out there and I'd unthinkingly soaked it up like a lot of people. I apologised for the nasty way I'd treated so many of them over the years past, and all the prejudice I'd myself spread about them. I was invited to their meetings so I went and was taken aback by their warm welcome. It seemed almost everyone came to talk to me. The sermon that day was about Jesus, it touched on so many of his qualities and his love that again I found myself in tears. I felt like a dope but I was so moved by what I was learning. I stayed. I studied the Bible with them and was baptised.

I find now when I post on message boards around the web I am always met with praise at my knowledge of Scripture, my ability to reason and bring things to understanding like no one they have known, I am happy for that for I know God brought this knowledge to me, however, upon revealing that I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses I am stunned and saddened to find that all those who had once praised and thanked me for the truths I was teaching, suddenly turn against me and the very things they praised.

I hope it will not be the case here. I know a lot of prejudice abounds for JWs for I was once among those spreading it. I've come to like and respect everyone here but I fear the climate will now change against me. I hope and pray that will not be the case. (taking a deep breath......... click on 'send')

Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
For instance, I naturally bought the Santa idea until at 4 (I think) I started asking about how he gets in if we don't have a chimney, if the doors and windows are locked, etc. My mother is a terrible liar as well so that one was probably the first to go.
Myself on the other hand am a masterful liar when needed. My oldest was on the verge of not believing in Santa when he was 8 and I really wanted one more year because it was the first year my youngest really understood the whole thing. So I emailed him from Santa (made up a yahoo email for Santa, and since we had been emailing our list to him for three years....) and to be sure he was pulled in I also sent one to his best friend. Well let me tell you those two boys were amazed and convinced....I have to say it was brilliant.

Weather - I'm a cradle Catholic. So as far back as I can remember I believed, but as far back as 7ish I remember knowing....I think there is a difference between the two.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

Weather - I'm a cradle Catholic. So as far back as I can remember I believed, but as far back as 7ish I remember knowing....I think there is a difference between the two.

Yes, Irish, I agree. Knowing and believing are two different animals.

Thank you everyone for your posts. Anyone else? I'm really, really interested. If you aren't comfortable for some reason posting in open forum, maybe you could DM me!? Thanks again.

TNDreamin, I always welcome the Jehovah Witness into my home. I applaud them for knocking on doors. They are a great testimony to their faith.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times
Quote:
Myself on the other hand am a masterful liar when needed. My oldest was on the verge of not believing in Santa when he was 8 and I really wanted one more year because it was the first year my youngest really understood the whole thing. So I emailed him from Santa (made up a yahoo email for Santa, and since we had been emailing our list to him for three years....) and to be sure he was pulled in I also sent one to his best friend. Well let me tell you those two boys were amazed and convinced....I have to say it was brilliant.
I suppose if you're into lying to and deluding children then yes, brilliant.

How long will that go on? How many more lies do you have ready and for how many different things?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Quote:

How long will that go on? How many more lies do you have ready and for how many different things?
Oh come on, lighten up. Give my fellow papist a break.

I know now my father would throw rocks on the roof. I thought for sure santa was up there. And we didn't even have a fireplace!!

I've been getting letters and emails since, and until this morning I still thought he was real. Thanks ALOT Irish !

Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Tennessee, I knew you were jw from your very first postings here Witnesses are just like any other group of christians or any people for that matter. Some are kind, understanding, and accepting of others opinions. Then some are insulting, hateful and self serving. I try not to judge any one person by the crowd they hang out with...Your posts show your patience and respect of others...I am glad to know you..I think the purpose of these forums is to "blend" beliefs, not force ours, and come to understand that there is really one thing we all know, and agree on..That is that we were created by a loving God and will one day find our way home. Imo, we may not all take the same route, but we will eventually find it if we can follow the directions

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-09-2007 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: content

Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
This may have been done. I don't think so. So bear with me. I have been reading a certain thread started by a proclaimed atheist and I was wondering about people and their belief systems. I was wondering if there was a reason for one's belief. Where did it begin? Have you ever sat on the other side of the fence? For the atheists; were you at once a believer? If so, what changed you? Science? Logic? A bad date? For the Christian: have you always had faith in your god or did you come to find Him through something that "happened" in your life. I am not looking for any negative input. No hate mongers, please. Be they atheist or Christian. Just a brief history, if you will. Oh, and another thought...if you also don't mind, are you married and do you have children? I know that may seem like an odd bit of information, but for me, I am always amazed at how my life as a parent can (in a very smallish way) parellel, God, the Father's life, with us. It in someway helps to clinch my understanding.

Thank you for sharing. And thank you in advance for keeping it civil. Like your mama always told you, "If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say nothing at all. And be sure to wear clean underwear when you leave the house!"
define to me, what is nice? does that mean, anyone who doesn't agree with you, isn't giving you a nice comment?

I think communication is conversation, meaning, not everyone is always going to agree with our way of thinking, and in order to participate and learn, one must be opened minded and not take a disagreement of beliefs as a personal attack against one's character, but more so, a way to learn and understand people more.

To answer your question, I can remember being a baby and laying in my crib...I can remember being aware of something much bigger then I was at the time...and I can also remember not wanting to be here...wanting to go back...to where ever it was I came from.

We lived in a one bedroom apartment...I also remember my mom giving me a bath in the sink....

I can also remembering knowsing htere was something much bigger then anything I knew that was in control of everything, and knowing there wasn't anything that wasn't possible.

God was always there...but religion, was not...or not my choice...it was something that was forced on me from a child on up...I loved religion at one time....I was intregged by it...curious and always wanting to know more....

God or I didn't find each other...he was always there....and I made a lot of mistakes....but I know, that I was never alone, and always loved.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:

WOW! I've got to say, I'm with Irishmom. We have carried on the tradition of Santa in my family. My children understand "the reason for the season", but I don't see any harm in a belief in Santa. We all grow up and figure it out eventually. We also have had a birthday fairy, a tooth fairy, little leprecauns that sneek into our room the night before St. Patty's that mess up our rooms (of course, they live permanently at my house. One year I felt sorry that they only got to celebrate their antics once a year and invited them to stay.) We have an Easter Bunny and I hear tell that fairies also live under mushrooms but you can only see them at night. We still haven't found them, but it has not stopped us from looking.

(Irish, let me know if I have missed anything.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism