Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 04:17 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
A years' undergrowth. I've been cutting my way to the back wall, ever since the rainy season ended.
One half of our garden is undergrowth with trees, other than the path, we leave it for the animals. It is on the border of one of our local parks, which helps with the animal diversity, especially the birds. It is often visited by the park foxes, who have to walk through the garden to get there.

Working from home means I can keep the garden clear of weeds before it becomes a problem, my young daughter looks after the two lawns, and my grandmother looks after the vegetable garden while my wife is away. It was a lesson from my grandfather, if you want to do the work later, you finish by doing more work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 04:59 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
One half of our garden is undergrowth with trees, other than the path, we leave it for the animals. It is on the border of one of our local parks, which helps with the animal diversity, especially the birds. It is often visited by the park foxes, who have to walk through the garden to get there.

Working from home means I can keep the garden clear of weeds before it becomes a problem, my young daughter looks after the two lawns, and my grandmother looks after the vegetable garden while my wife is away. It was a lesson from my grandfather, if you want to do the work later, you finish by doing more work.
True. Keeping up with the work to save work later on is a good way of working. It is a method I've never learned.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:29 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We are up to our necks in redwoods. The ones across the street from me obviously enjoyed no special protections. They are all lumber or firewood now.
We were just in the Redwoods yesterday, walking an eerily empty UCSC campus that is just up the road from us. (What a beautiful campus too)...

Grew up in L.A. and moved to the Bay Area to get learned during my college years. Day I got here I knew there was no going back for me. Lived in San Francisco during one of those years, commuting to/from Berkeley. Then another year after I graduated, and no doubt that afternoon fog micro-climate is one I used to really enjoy, along with some beautifully clear blue-sky days as well. Later with family, the City doesn't work so well, so moved out to the East Bay. Last house before this one had two good sized Redwoods in the front yard...

Fast forward and now we've got the Redwoods all around us. Lots of open space and farm country that I love as well. A never-ending menagerie of where to go, where to walk and what to see here along the Monterey Bay. Part of our retirement dream come true. Had in mind to have a second home in Tahoe which is one of my other favorite spots on the planet, but decided the drive there when the mood strikes is good enough. We're always very thankful during these shelter-in-place no travel times that we live where we do.

Other than the four years we lived in Hawaii (where our second was born), I've lived in California all my life and have never had any intention of leaving. No matter the higher cost of living. Well worth it far as we are concerned.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:14 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We were just in the Redwoods yesterday, walking an eerily empty UCSC campus that is just up the road from us. (What a beautiful campus too)...

Grew up in L.A. and moved to the Bay Area to get learned during my college years. Day I got here I knew there was no going back for me. Lived in San Francisco during one of those years, commuting to/from Berkeley. Then another year after I graduated, and no doubt that afternoon fog micro-climate is one I used to really enjoy, along with some beautifully clear blue-sky days as well. Later with family, the City doesn't work so well, so moved out to the East Bay. Last house before this one had two good sized Redwoods in the front yard...

Fast forward and now we've got the Redwoods all around us. Lots of open space and farm country that I love as well. A never-ending menagerie of where to go, where to walk and what to see here along the Monterey Bay. Part of our retirement dream come true. Had in mind to have a second home in Tahoe which is one of my other favorite spots on the planet, but decided the drive there when the mood strikes is good enough. We're always very thankful during these shelter-in-place no travel times that we live where we do.

Other than the four years we lived in Hawaii (where our second was born), I've lived in California all my life and have never had any intention of leaving. No matter the higher cost of living. Well worth it far as we are concerned.

I thought I got a California vibe. Did you see my previous post?
I also lived in the Bay Area for a while.
You're definitely in the best part of California in my opinion Monterey / Santa Cruz area. Reminds me of home (UK).
Very nice.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:58 PM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I thought I got a California vibe. Did you see my previous post?
I also lived in the Bay Area for a while.
You're definitely in the best part of California in my opinion Monterey / Santa Cruz area. Reminds me of home (UK).
Very nice.
The UK is hard to beat as well...

My parents used to have a second home in the Cotswolds, Stratton Audley to be more precise. My wife and I honeymooned there (also Paris). My family are all big fans of England, and I'm glad to say I've been able to visit a few times over the years, so I've seen a fair amount of the country, but not enough! Hard to see the congestion taking it's toll on so many of those beautiful country towns though. I guess that sort of thing is inevitable. More recently we were in Ireland and Scotland, both drop dead beautiful places with similar vibe as well...

If you know the Monterey Bay, then you probably know Carmel-by-the-Sea, not too far from us. Maybe even the Tuck Box?

https://www.tuckbox.com/

You can see by the picture why my parents were big fans of this place too, beginning many years ago when I was just a kid. Owner of the Tuck Box was recently in the news as well...

https://www.thecalifornian.com/story...ce/3192674001/

Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
I used to live in Salem, Oregon. It has a very small city park, which consists of a single giant sequoia planted in 1872. Which makes it just barely a teen-ager. Never heard what the city plans to do when the inevitable happens...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_Park

Right this minute, I am comfortably ensconced in my van at Rialto Beach, in Washington. https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/rialto-beach,-wa.html

It's going to be a scorching 65 degrees or so today.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The UK is hard to beat as well...

My parents used to have a second home in the Cotswolds, Stratton Audley to be more precise. My wife and I honeymooned there (also Paris). My family are all big fans of England, and I'm glad to say I've been able to visit a few times over the years, so I've seen a fair amount of the country, but not enough! Hard to see the congestion taking it's toll on so many of those beautiful country towns though. I guess that sort of thing is inevitable. More recently we were in Ireland and Scotland, both drop dead beautiful places with similar vibe as well...

If you know the Monterey Bay, then you probably know Carmel-by-the-Sea, not too far from us. Maybe even the Tuck Box?

https://www.tuckbox.com/

You can see by the picture why my parents were big fans of this place too, beginning many years ago when I was just a kid. Owner of the Tuck Box was recently in the news as well...

https://www.thecalifornian.com/story...ce/3192674001/
Yeah I forget how bad the congestion can be until I go back to visit.
It's not like that everywhere though.
I've lived all over the UK. If you live in some of the more rural towns the worst congestion you get is sitting behind a slow moving tractor on narrow country roads.
Its frightening how much the traffic has increased in the cities since I was a kid though. I grew up in Liverpool. As kids we literally played in the middle of the street, only moving when an occasional car passed through. There was a street game called British Bulldog that we played all the time in the road. Makes me sound like I'm about 125. I'm only 52.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yeah I forget how bad the congestion can be until I go back to visit.
It's not like that everywhere though.
I've lived all over the UK. If you live in some of the more rural towns the worst congestion you get is sitting behind a slow moving tractor on narrow country roads.
Its frightening how much the traffic has increased in the cities since I was a kid though. I grew up in Liverpool. As kids we literally played in the middle of the street, only moving when an occasional car passed through. There was a street game called British Bulldog that we played all the time in the road. Makes me sound like I'm about 125. I'm only 52.
Same here, only we played something called kickball, it was in northern New Jersey about 30 miles northwest of NYC, and I'm 62. Or will be very shortly. The traffic in New Jersey has increased exponentially since I was a child. As a matter of fact, ten years ago I moved down here near to the Jersey shore, and in that ten years it has gotten worse here, too.

But then, there are mornings like today when I left my house at 7 a.m. to walk the mile and back along the boardwalk in my nearest beach town, after which I removed my shoes, walked through the sand, and stood for a while in the ocean, not thinking, just being, and I remember why I chose to move down here.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here, only we played something called kickball, it was in northern New Jersey about 30 miles northwest of NYC, and I'm 62. Or will be very shortly. The traffic in New Jersey has increased exponentially since I was a child. As a matter of fact, ten years ago I moved down here near to the Jersey shore, and in that ten years it has gotten worse here, too.

But then, there are mornings like today when I left my house at 7 a.m. to walk the mile and back along the boardwalk in my nearest beach town, after which I removed my shoes, walked through the sand, and stood for a while in the ocean, not thinking, just being, and I remember why I chose to move down here.
Have to admit I have yet to visit the Jersey shore and you're not all that far from me.
Any areas on particular you would recommend for a visit?
Anywhere not too touristy?
Could I take my kids for a day trip?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
For those who have a cat. I am cleaning out the litter box. Sable (my cat's name) sits quietly about two feet away intensely watching the proceedings. I finish and get up to toss away the bag of "stuff". As soon as I do so, and I start to walk towards the trash can, Sable gets in the box and does his business. Does anyone else have a cat that helps you out in a like manner?
Yep, I have one (of three) that does the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism