Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 10:43 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
it wasn't a great joke and now you you'll get me to destroy it. Well there have been accusations of there being a Transponder gang, which is nonsense; I merely have a few paid shills. But going along with it I quipped that I issued a Fatwah...but I'm not actually fat....(waits for laughs, not a sossidge).

Glad to know that Raffs is still rockin' and observing suitable distance. Yes, Mordant's posts are always a pleasure to read. I shall have to make a mental note to post 'Wanted' notices if you seem to be getting scarce.

Odd thing. The habitual 'God Bless you' when you buy the magazine 'written by tramps' has now in the present Situation and bearing in mind that we say it when one sneezes, has taken on a connotation of 'May you go down with the virus'.
Oh I must have missed all of this. I don't drop in often enough to have been aware of said 'Transponder gang', mythical or otherwise.

Who is leader of the atheists anyway? I guess we are the only worldview (cant say religion) without a leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 05:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Thinking about Shirina. Not heard from a long time. Also Raffa.
Busy working on the revolution my dear old sprout. Boris is first against the wall.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:11 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Oh I must have missed all of this. I don't drop in often enough to have been aware of said 'Transponder gang', mythical or otherwise.

Who is leader of the atheists anyway? I guess we are the only worldview (cant say religion) without a leader.
No leaders! No Popes! No spokesbods! No Diktats, Doctrines or Dogmas! Stand up, comrades, for your right to be wishy -washy! To the barriers! Raise high the blank banner of doubt and question! We gotta dream, non citizens or patriots, and we look to the day! The peddlers of the Prosperity doctrine, the televangelist, faith-healer and Bible - kissing politician and coke -sniffing debauchee who rants about sin to public acclaim trail the world around by the rope of religion through its' nose and grow fat on the flesh of fools. Bros and sistas, the cattle trucks stand idle on the rusting rails and the walls cry out for new pockmarks. Tear down the rotten old world and dance the Ramwong on the ruins! Let us, armed with the ..uh....armour of apologetics and the rapiers of reason, march in lockdown..bugga , I mean Lockstep towards a glorious sundown of pointy -eared androgynous androidism.

Support our cause and don't forget to hit the button, dig deep and stint not! The rant is worth a rich reward. Or I'll settle for the odd Rep.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
No leaders! No Popes! No spokesbods! No Diktats, Doctrines or Dogmas! Stand up, comrades, for your right to be wishy -washy! To the barriers! Raise high the blank banner of doubt and question! We gotta dream, non citizens or patriots, and we look to the day! The peddlers of the Prosperity doctrine, the televangelist, faith-healer and Bible - kissing politician and coke -sniffing debauchee who rants about sin to public acclaim trail the world around by the rope of religion through its' nose and grow fat on the flesh of fools. Bros and sistas, the cattle trucks stand idle on the rusting rails and the walls cry out for new pockmarks. Tear down the rotten old world and dance the Ramwong on the ruins! Let us, armed with the ..uh....armour of apologetics and the rapiers of reason, march in lockdown..bugga , I mean Lockstep towards a glorious sundown of pointy -eared androgynous androidism.

Support our cause and don't forget to hit the button, dig deep and stint not! The rant is worth a rich reward. Or I'll settle for the odd Rep.
Bravo! Well said my dear old wart!

Old 07-31-2020, 05:34 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Busy working on the revolution my dear old sprout. Boris is first against the wall.

I suspect we all know the top three on the list.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Working from home means I can keep the garden clear of weeds before it becomes a problem, my young daughter looks after the two lawns, and my grandmother looks after the vegetable garden while my wife is away.
Harry old bean. How are you on driving regulations in Germany. I'm having a discussion about negotiating roundabouts. The guy says that, in Germany, if you are taking a left turn on a roundabout, or going all the way around to go back the way you came, you take the outside lane all the way around. I say it's the same as the rest of Europe in that you enter the roundabout and move to the inside lane. You stay in the inside lane until you pass the exit before the one you intend to take and then move to the outside lane to exit. Which is correct?

Old 08-05-2020, 12:36 PM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Harry old bean. How are you on driving regulations in Germany. I'm having a discussion about negotiating roundabouts. The guy says that, in Germany, if you are taking a left turn on a roundabout, or going all the way around to go back the way you came, you take the outside lane all the way around. I say it's the same as the rest of Europe in that you enter the roundabout and move to the inside lane. You stay in the inside lane until you pass the exit before the one you intend to take and then move to the outside lane to exit. Which is correct?
My experience has been that it depends on the traffic conditions...

When there is a lot of traffic, the best approach is to enter to the outside and stay there until you exit the roundabout. When there is little-to-no traffic, going to the inside is more of an option if wanting to make it to your exit ASAP and/or avoid others coming into the roundabout. Of course the size of the roundabout makes a difference too. I've not heard there is different direction along these lines depending on which country you are in.

One thing I can also pass along. Don't exceed the speed limit even by just a little in the tunnels in Germany! I was amazed at how everyone was driving at exactly the same speed limit, and curious about the white flashes I kept seeing as I was driving just a bit faster than the others (while my wife was asleep in the passenger seat). Not too long after getting back, I overheard my wife on the phone arguing with the car rental company about us paying for tickets we never got while driving in Germany.

Suddenly it occurred to me what those flashes were all about...

Old 08-06-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
My experience has been that it depends on the traffic conditions...

When there is a lot of traffic, the best approach is to enter to the outside and stay there until you exit the roundabout. When there is little-to-no traffic, going to the inside is more of an option if wanting to make it to your exit ASAP and/or avoid others coming into the roundabout. Of course the size of the roundabout makes a difference too. I've not heard there is different direction along these lines depending on which country you are in.

One thing I can also pass along. Don't exceed the speed limit even by just a little in the tunnels in Germany! I was amazed at how everyone was driving at exactly the same speed limit, and curious about the white flashes I kept seeing as I was driving just a bit faster than the others (while my wife was asleep in the passenger seat). Not too long after getting back, I overheard my wife on the phone arguing with the car rental company about us paying for tickets we never got while driving in Germany.

Suddenly it occurred to me what those flashes were all about...
I would argue that, the more traffic there is, the more reason to do it correctly. Staying in the right-hand for going all the way around the roundabout defies all logic, reason and common sense and risks you getting T-boned by another car that is exiting whilst you are passing across it's exit.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
I would argue that, the more traffic there is, the more reason to do it correctly. Staying in the right-hand for going all the way around the roundabout defies all logic, reason and common sense and risks you getting T-boned by another car that is exiting whilst you are passing across it's exit.
Crossing lanes is what tends to cause trouble, especially if there is a lot of traffic. We happen to have a few where I live here, so I'm in and out of them pretty much every day...

Obviously, if you stay in the outer lane at a reasonable speed, there really should be no cause for concern unless someone else doesn't know how to drive in a roundabout. Are you suggesting they are simply going to drive into you because you happen to be in their way? That pretty well defies the whole right-of-way approach to a roundabout. If that's the case, they'll drive into you no matter what you are doing if you are in their way.

Not a whole lot of logic, reason or common sense needed as much as just a bit of good, safe driving, that involves yielding to others as appropriate.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:48 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Sounds like your friend doesn't understand roundabouts.
Of course take the inside lane. If you only ever used one lane, what would be the point in having 2 lanes?
It would only make sense if the roundabout only had one lane, then it would work.
Of course I live in America where roundabouts are referred to as traffic circles and nobody knows how to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism