Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

It just amazes me that people who probably are otherwise intelligent come across total idiots when it comes to religion.

What is it about fundamentalists of any faith that causes them to say things that normal people look at and just say WTF?

Reading some of the Commons over the religious forums just leave me shaking my head

Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
I was just thinking the same thing.

I was reading the thread about women preaching. What woman in her right mind would want to be a part of any group that thinks she is less than a man? What does having, or not having, a penis have to do with ones ability to preach?

No wonder less people claim to be religious.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 PM

634 posts, read 897,563 times
It is, uh, a bit scary, isn't it?

I stay out of the R&S forum, A&A is where everything makes sense and I'm around people that make sense.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
They appear bat stuff crazy because that is exactly what they are!!!!!!

Be right with God. Be right with your fellow humans. Gain eternal life! It's THAT simple

Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 PM

542 posts, read 692,204 times
I have often wondered this. My best friend and I used to work at the same place, and we'd often complain to each other about how stupid customers could be. She's a smart girl with intelligent, well-reasoned thoughts about many things. And yet she's a creationist and doesn't believe in evolution. I think that when you grow up with someone telling you a belief, it's hard to see outside of it. I can only imagine that for her, creationism is all she's known and it's something her family believes, too, so it's hard to break away from it. I try to think of how I believed in Santa as a kid - what if my parents had kept instilling the belief year after year? Would I be any different? (I hope I'd come to my senses).

In college, my roommate was a new Christian. She was very liberal, and often scolded another Christian friend about his anti-homosexual beliefs. Then one day he opened his bible and pointed out a line where gays are condemned, and she said, "Oh, it really is evil." And she changed her tune after that. And that was a powerful moment for me - I was amazed that you could literally change someone's mind by having them read a line out of a book, saying that God said it was so, without explanation or context.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I have often wondered this. My best friend and I used to work at the same place, and we'd often complain to each other about how stupid customers could be. She's a smart girl with intelligent, well-reasoned thoughts about many things. And yet she's a creationist and doesn't believe in evolution. I think that when you grow up with someone telling you a belief, it's hard to see outside of it. I can only imagine that for her, creationism is all she's known and it's something her family believes, too, so it's hard to break away from it. I try to think of how I believed in Santa as a kid - what if my parents had kept instilling the belief year after year? Would I be any different? (I hope I'd come to my senses).

In college, my roommate was a new Christian. She was very liberal, and often scolded another Christian friend about his anti-homosexual beliefs. Then one day he opened his bible and pointed out a line where gays are condemned, and she said, "Oh, it really is evil." And she changed her tune after that. And that was a powerful moment for me - I was amazed that you could literally change someone's mind by having them read a line out of a book, saying that God said it was so, without explanation or context.

See, that's when I would request to take a look at the Bible, myself, point out Lev. 19:19, and then LMAO as she freaked out trying to read the label on her shirt without taking it off. Of course, it would be sad if she then went on a hunger strike, because most farms produce more than one kind of plant, and most modern beef cows are the result of breeding between different species. Then again, one less nutcase!

Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
"Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely."​—Col 3:13.
The Bible provides a wealth of practical advice on cleanliness, communication, industriousness, coping with poverty, and many other aspects of life. Millions can testify that the difference between success and failure in their lives has depended on the degree to which they have applied Bible principles, even regarding those who may seem unreasonable at best, helping them to manifest wisdom.

Common sense enables us to do this beyond simply follow a set of detailed instructions or rules. It helps us to fulfill our responsibilities. However, common sense is not a substitute for taking in knowledge. "A wise person will listen and take in more instruction," says Proverbs 1:5. We have to learn to analyze the information we gather, drawing proper conclusions from it. This helps us to patiently 'walk in wisdom' when it comes do dealing with say, 'drastic' personalities.—Proverbs 28:26.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You must be reading my mind since I just read this over on the R&S forum:

It's a post so ridiculous it's not even worth a response. I just shook my head, chuckled to myself and moved on. I have no idea how 'otherwise intelligent' this Supine is, but even supposing hell existed (yes I'm really using my imagination here) how long can one body burn?
60 trillion years apparently . We could solve the energy crisis very quickly with this line of thinking.

In my experience, orgasm and tranquility are at odds with each other.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It just amazes me that people who probably are otherwise intelligent come across total idiots when it comes to religion.

What is it about fundamentalists of any faith that causes them to say things that normal people look at and just say WTF?

Reading some of the Commons over the religious forums just leave me shaking my head

Amazingly enough people who are batpoo crazy people is not limited to those people who are also religious. You should go read some of the threads in relationships, some of those will make you scratch your head as well as shake it.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You must be reading my mind since I just read this over on the R&S forum:

It's a post so ridiculous it's not even worth a response. I just shook my head, chuckled to myself and moved on. I have no idea how 'otherwise intelligent' this Supine is, but even supposing hell existed (yes I'm really using my imagination here) how long can one body burn?
60 trillion years apparently . We could solve the energy crisis very quickly with this line of thinking.
He forgot to carry the 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism