Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM

37 posts, read 31,846 times

Advertisements

No mongoloid race on Noah's Ark.
'God' had not yet encountered them.
Neither had the Jewish writers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The stories in the Bible are not supposed to be considered history . . . but you are correct that many do. The Communion ritual is not supposed to be considered real either . . . though the Catholics uniformly are told it is. It is something to be done simply to bring to our remembrance the achievement of Christ for us all as our "designated hitter." The existence of irrational beliefs in the religions is probably deserving of ridicule on some level . . . but the underlying belief in God is not. We are only human and our errors do not define God or the possibility of God. If you know there is no God . . . perhaps you should present it. Your ridicule of the absurdities in religious belief won't work for that purpose. People are not focused on the stories when they worship God. They are focused on love . . . not a bad focus even if it is temporary. Too bad it is so often followed by intolerance and bigotry in supposed defense of what they think God wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So we should all be like you, eh? Believe only what you tell us is worth believing in this bible of yours and about this god of yours?
Take your word and perceived "facts" and base a belief system on them? I don't think so. You have flip flopped on this forum to many times to be given credence on these issues and shown "bigotry" towards those who do not follow you blindly.
It appears that, to you, only your beliefs (of the moment) are worth anything. To many they are worthless and not to given consideration as to having any veracity at all.
Wow. Well hi there. Guess you are not a fan. To the topic, though . . . what are your thoughts on Noah and the other stories in the Bible?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Quote:
Wow. Well hi there. Guess you are not a fan. To the topic, though . . . what are your thoughts on Noah and the other stories in the Bible?
Those stories are politically (population manipulation) created and based on prior myths. AT this point there has been no proof, other than statements of faith, to support them. The bible has been rewritten countless times in an effort to match the agenda of those rewriting it.

Thoughts on the stories? Pure imagination of the tellers part, and manipulation of oral tradition.

That, and it appears that you continue to proselytize in a forum that forbids it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
The stories in the Bible are not supposed to be considered history . . . but you are correct that many do. The Communion ritual is not supposed to be considered real either . . . though the Catholics uniformly are told it is. It is something to be done simply to bring to our remembrance the achievement of Christ for us all as our "designated hitter." The existence of irrational beliefs in the religions is probably deserving of ridicule on some level . . . but the underlying belief in God is not. We are only human and our errors do not define God or the possibility of God. If you know there is no God . . . perhaps you should present it. Your ridicule of the absurdities in religious belief won't work for that purpose. People are not focused on the stories when they worship God. They are focused on love . . . not a bad focus even if it is temporary. Too bad it is so often followed by intolerance and bigotry in supposed defense of what they think God wants.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Those stories are politically (population manipulation) created and based on prior myths. AT this point there has been no proof, other than statements of faith, to support them. The bible has been rewritten countless times in an effort to match the agenda of those rewriting it.
Thoughts on the stories? Pure imagination of the tellers part, and manipulation of oral tradition.
That, and it appears that you continue to proselytize in a forum that forbids it.
Sorry . . . but defensive explanation of blatant ridicule is not proselytizing. It is just clarification.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM

500 posts, read 318,930 times
Quote:
When bible stories and religious beliefs are in fact ridiculous, they are richly deserving of being ridiculed!

All the nonsense is believed because of fear, not love or worship. It is not rational to love and/or worship an imaginary personality who supposedly can and will toss you into an imaginary pit (or lake; take your choice) of fire for ever and ever, amen.

Think about it.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
I'm sure there are a fair number of folks over on the Christian forum who think I dont belong there. Why? Because I believe the bible is a book of faith, myth, history, maybe more. The problem is what passages are which ...

Having read The Epic of Gilgamesh, and having educated myself on at least some of Mesopotamian mythology, I take the story of Noah for what it is - myth. Not sure it reaches into the realm of legend.

To me, all that matters in the bible is the message of Jesus. I can take or leave any of the rest.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Quote:
Sorry . . . but defensive explanation of blatant ridicule is not proselytizing. It is just clarification.
But promoting your religious stance in this particular forum is.

Take it to a religious forum and you may not get challenged so much, but here it is proclaiming your versions of religion as the only viable stance. That, in this forum especially, is indeed proselytizing.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'm sure there are a fair number of folks over on the Christian forum who think I dont belong there. Why? Because I believe the bible is a book of faith, myth, history, maybe more. The problem is what passages are which ...

Having read The Epic of Gilgamesh, and having educated myself on at least some of Mesopotamian mythology, I take the story of Noah for what it is - myth. Not sure it reaches into the realm of legend.

To me, all that matters in the bible is the message of Jesus. I can take or leave any of the rest.

Just out of curiosity. Is it just the message of Jesus that matters? Can you toss the immaculate conception, virgin birth and resurrection?
And if so, is it then necessary to believe that Jesus was inspired by any deity at all rather than just appreciate him as a philosopher

Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,043,982 times
I skipped it after finding out how the director or writer turned Noah into what is essentially an eco-terrorist with martial arts abilities ha ha! The whole thing might as well have been produced by Greenpeace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

I would KILL to see a faithful adaptation of the Gilgamesh Epic for film - that story really is timeless with it's blatant rejection of an afterlife; it's almost too modern for its time. There's one film floating around out there (a low budget student film), but it is terrible. Now what version of Gilgamesh to use? Hmmm, I want the fullest one. With the story of the older Flood myth. The Flood doesn't need it's own movie..

I am extremely disappointed that they didn't adopt other ANE myths of the Flood and use some of those ideas in the Noah film. It would have been much more interesting.

By the way, in the film - was the ark round perchance? There was a recently collated cuneiform tablet that filled in some of this information, as well as the whole two by two thing that the later Israelite version adopted into their own "adaptation". In fact, an interesting book about the new find and the subject in general just came out this year: The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood by Irving Finkel.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,447,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I skipped it after finding out how the director or writer turned Noah into what is essentially an eco-terrorist with martial arts abilities ha ha! The whole thing might as well have been produced by Greenpeace.

I would KILL to see a faithful adaptation of the Gilgamesh Epic for film - that story really is timeless with it's blatant rejection of an afterlife; it's almost too modern for its time.
cine-terrorist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism