Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times

Advertisements

What's that old quote, the trouble with Christianity is all of the Christians.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM

66 posts, read 95,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticAge View Post
Most atheists live their lives based on a "live and let live" principle/philosophy.

Most religious people do not.
Ha! Most athiests I know go on and on and on promoting their own agendas on Facebook. People complain about Christians doing that (and some do- it's true) BUT many athiests do the same thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Ha! Most athiests I know go on and on and on promoting their own agendas on Facebook. People complain about Christians doing that (and some do- it's true) BUT many athiests do the same thing.
Facebook is not exactly helping your claims. Anyone can say anything without a fact check.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 AM

282 posts, read 820,238 times
Quote:
Those damned militant atheists getting all opinionated on people's facebook feeds.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:03 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Hitchens' MO was attacking religionists with his second hand cigarette smoke, pretty dastardly really.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:00 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Yeah, fear that internet.

Where once atheists had no voice whatsoever, the internet has provided them with one.

And then you fault them for using it?

I'm pretty sure that if your "agenda" had been silenced for the last 8,000 or so years, you would be itching to be heard, too, when the time came.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:34 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Atheists as a group are pretty tolerant. As an atheist, if I had to drive by a billboard promoting Christianity umpteen times on my way to work (which I've had to do, by the way), I'd just shrug and ignore it. I've grown up with that stuff around me and what good would it do to get my bowels in an uproar? My take on it is we all think differently. However, when an atheist billboard gets put up, Christians do NOT ignore it. They go into we're-being-persecuted overdrive.

I'm with some of the other posters here. Religion has no place in politics. What is it someone said? Religion is like a penis. It's good to have one, and fine to be proud of it. Just don't try to shove it down my throat.

But when people are trying to impose laws on me, control how I live, what I do, what I can't do, because of what THEIR moral compass dictates, then they're trying to shove their religion down my throat and yes, that's when I become angry. What on earth makes those people think they have the right to tell me how to live my life just because of how they feel? If those people thought like my mom, they'd have laws passed to make it mandatory that I wear a scarf when they feel cold. And how dumb is that?

I've said if before and I'll say it again, when churches start paying taxes, then and only then can they get involved in politics. Until then, hands off and don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out. And if churches and religions feel they MUST dabble in politics, read the part in the Bible about rendering unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's, and then do it.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But when people are trying to impose laws on me, control how I live, what I do, what I can't do, because of what THEIR moral compass dictates, then they're trying to shove their religion down my throat and yes, that's when I become angry. What on earth makes those people think they have the right to tell me how to live my life just because of how they feel? If those people thought like my mom, they'd have laws passed to make it mandatory that I wear a scarf when they feel cold. And how dumb is that?
I don't think many Christians are even aware of how often their religion does try to control people. Most of the time, it happens at a local level and never makes the news.

I have a lot of experience with this while working in a library. There was always some Christian group or another charging into the library making demands that this or that book be pulled from the shelves. Usually it was a book that promoted or explained things like homosexuality, atheism, other religions, art that depicted nudity, magic and witchcraft, and any book that criticized Christianity.

I had to really restrain myself when confronted by these Christian busybodies because I represented the library. It's a good thing they never encountered me as a simple library patron.

Because I would have said, "Just where do you get off deciding for ME what books I am allowed to read? If you don't like it, then don't read it. But you have absolutely NO right and NO authority to make decisions on my behalf. I don't want to be protected from naughty things as if I were an incompetent child unable to decide for myself what I am exposed to."

Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
I remember once when Christians demanded a library worker, who read to younger children on a regular basis, be fired. The library simply took her off the reading program. The reason? In her personal life, the library reader was a white witch. Can you imagine the Christian response if someone demanded they were fired because of their religion?

I have to admire librarians. In the face of everything, books have remained on the shelf and available to be checked out, even when it seems the whole world wanted one or the other taken off the shelves because people hated that certain books didn't agree with their point of view.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 AM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
Scientology?
. I do enjoy the Science Fiction books though. Love it when a Science 'Fiction' writer creates a religian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism