Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 PM

23 posts, read 23,715 times

Advertisements

Worst thing to say: The glory of god and his infinite wisdom took your loved one and He has a glorious exciting plan for you but you need to know His word before you can go on the path of righteousness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbangeo View Post
Worst thing to say: The glory of god and his infinite wisdom took your loved one and He has a glorious exciting plan for you but you need to know His word before you can go on the path of righteousness
How about this: "The glory of god and his infinite wisdom took your loved one and now your loved one is in a better place. It is my most fervent hope that you will also be dead soon. Amen!"

Old 08-10-2015, 06:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
How about this: "The glory of god and his infinite wisdom took your loved one and now your loved one is in a better place. It is my most fervent hope that you will also be dead soon. Amen!"
I have bitten my tongue a few times when I hear that so & so is "in a better place now"

I just can't help but to think "well if it's better...why are we still here?"

Old 08-11-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
I have bitten my tongue a few times when I hear that so & so is "in a better place now"

Since their loved one is in a better place, doesn't only make sense to tell a grieving believer that we hope they join their loved one soon, and the sooner the better? After all, most religions are simply one huge death wish anyway; eager to get to paradise and pausing in this life only long enough to condemn it for it's depraved evil.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post

If it is indeed a better place, one is left wondering why so many of us continue to opt for living on the surface of the earth rather than under it.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If it is indeed a better place, one is left wondering why so many of us continue to opt for living on the surface of the earth rather than under it.
Yeh, sometimes this world sucks heh heh.

Personally, I could care less if some religious person gives me a consolation wish that is imbued with their own personal touch, which sometimes includes religion.

It's called toleration and empathy. I'm not that prideful about how I expect others to "respect" my own personal beliefs that I feel I should be angry at a friend for being him/herself with their own beliefs. To his or her own. They really are doing what they feel is most helpful, whether it is or not.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:30 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
A person that has lived their life resisting God is not headed for a better place.
To give a false statment is a lie we are accountabe to before God on that day, for all that we say.
A mans poor example of life is not one to be celibrated, but morned because it is a most serious loss having sealed his own fate resisting God.
Those surviving have the opurtunity to take action, and do something about their own fate, and make things right before God .
Offending some one worse, is lieing and saying they haae no need to make things right with God before they die.
It is appointed to man once to die, and after that the judgment.
God makes the examination of a persons life , and judgment will include all those that have been affected by that life.
God may make a determination during judgment the sevirety of one's offences to mankind, and offences to God Himself.
God knows the heart and ones motivations ,so His judgment is thurough .
God will hand pick those He want's for heaven ,which has a limited population.
As for hell, it is still expanding.
As for some other preperation (paradise )there is not a load lmit .I would hesitate to specualte.
Whether one is good, or not, is God's determination not ours ,
Ideally though, having made provision through Jesus, to proide believer the Holy Spiit so that we can obey God ,His preference is to those the choose to love and obey Him.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
A person that has lived their life resisting God is not headed for a better place.
To give a false statment is a lie we are accountabe to before God on that day, for all that we say.
A mans poor example of life is not one to be celibrated, but morned because it is a most serious loss having sealed his own fate resisting God.
Those surviving have the opurtunity to take action, and do something about their own fate, and make things right before God .
Offending some one worse, is lieing and saying they haae no need to make things right with God before they die.
It is appointed to man once to die, and after that the judgment.
God makes the examination of a persons life , and judgment will include all those that have been affected by that life.
God may make a determination during judgment the sevirety of one's offences to mankind, and offences to God Himself.
God knows the heart and ones motivations ,so His judgment is thurough .
God will hand pick those He want's for heaven ,which has a limited population.
As for hell, it is still expanding.
As for some other preperation (paradise )there is not a load lmit .I would hesitate to specualte.
Whether one is good, or not, is God's determination not ours ,
Ideally though, having made provision through Jesus, to proide believer the Holy Spiit so that we can obey God ,His preference is to those the choose to love and obey Him.
We live our lives resisting Santa Claus too Arleigh. And we all end up exactly in the same place.

If you want to hurl charges and make declarations of your beliefs, then you should be prepared to defend those beliefs. I offered you a perfect opportunity to do just that here:
Quote:
@
And here:
Quote:
@
If you are unable or unwilling to defend your beliefs, then you shouldn't really expect to find that anyone takes them or you very seriously, should you!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
belief is irrelevant. only in the sense that it may help us be a little nicer to each other at various points in time. so weather Omni dude is the motivator or because you believe we only have each other so its a duty to help each other (which is mine) a belief can make a better life.

What ever it takes to be nicer is the key. telling people "their way of nice" isn't right is just funny to me.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:52 PM

138 posts, read 129,697 times
Quote:
Nobody is asking you to make a false statement, unless saying you're sorry for someone's loss of a loved one is a false statement (maybe it is for you). This thread is about what to say to a grieving non-believer, not how to go about "saving" someone's soul and getting them "right with God" as they suffer after a terrible loss.

You should ask yourself what your primary motivation is when speaking to someone who is grieving. Is it not usually to offer comfort and show kindness and empathy? If so, how does saying something religious to someone who is not religious fit into that? They gain no comfort from your words. Having shown them no kindness and empathy, they will probably not even want to be around you anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism