Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:28 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,818,958 times

Advertisements

Do atheists have people they regard as martyrs - people who died for their lack of faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:45 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do atheists have people they regard as martyrs - people who died for their lack of faith?
Lots of people have been slaughtered because of their refusal to support a specific faith, but most of them were clinging to their own specific faiths, not asserting an absence.

Are there existing records from the Inquisition? If so, and if the Inquisitors kept track of the type of apostate they were killing, distinguishing between rival faiths and no faith at all, then there we would find our martyrs.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:32 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,127,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Lots of people have been slaughtered because of their refusal to support a specific faith, but most of them were clinging to their own specific faiths, not asserting an absence.

Are there existing records from the Inquisition? If so, and if the Inquisitors kept track of the type of apostate they were killing, distinguishing between rival faiths and no faith at all, then there we would find our martyrs.
The Spanish Inquisition was politically motivated, a move to consolidate the power of the newly victorious Catholic King and Queen. Anyone not a Catholic was eventually targeted: Jews, the remaining Muslims, Protestants. I know of no mention of atheists. Whether they would have been targeted is unclear. Was the intention to persecute those who were actively against the Spanish power base or those who were not actively for it?

On the other hand, the Roman Inquisition only had authority over baptized Catholics and as far as I know they stuck with that. It was all about protecting the faith against changes.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
The Spanish Inquisition was politically motivated, a move to consolidate the power of the newly victorious Catholic King and Queen. Anyone not a Catholic was eventually targeted: Jews, the remaining Muslims, Protestants. I know of no mention of atheists. Whether they would have been targeted is unclear. Was the intention to persecute those who were actively against the Spanish power base or those who were not actively for it?

On the other hand, the Roman Inquisition only had authority over baptized Catholics and as far as I know they stuck with that. It was all about protecting the faith against changes.
In that era it seems to me that anyone who denied God was probably equally in jeopardy of their life whether from Catholic, Protestant, or Muslim. As such I would think the Inquisition would not have felt the need to bother to target them, or would have considered a case of atheism an incidental open-and-shut case quickly dispensed with.

I think that prior to the last century or two most atheists, particularly if they weren't wealthy or famous enough to feel "protected", simply feigned to be some minimally compliant theist. Perhaps a deist or an impious Christian.

Indeed, I'm given to understand that the first people who openly identified as atheists lived in the 18th century. Prior to that I wonder if it was even something people permitted themselves to see themselves as. Some thoughts aren't even thinkable until some pioneering soul braves the notion openly. Until that happened, perhaps people just compartmentalized, following the outward form of some accepted religion while not actually internalizing it.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:26 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Well, keep in mind that the early Christians were considered atheists by the Roman authorities, because they did not believe in the Roman gods.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quite a few Islamic countries have laws that condemn atheists to death or prison.

Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study | Reuters

Quote:
A first survey of 60 countries last year showed just seven where death, often by public beheading, is the punishment for either blasphemy or apostasy - renouncing belief or switching to another religion which is also protected under U.N. accords.

But this year's more comprehensive study showed six more, bringing the full list to Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Quite a few Islamic countries have laws that condemn atheists to death or prison.

........Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen
You know last summer when I went on the Atheist's Middle Eastern Package Tour, I was wondering why we skipped all of those nations.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Really? Malaysia? Death sentence for atheism?

Ah. It seems that applies only to the Malay people - "Bhumiputra" - who are expected to be Muslims and are subject to Shariya law. For non -Malays - Chinese, Indians and of course, western tourists, secular law applies and so the death penalty for atheism would not apply to them.

Singapore, the island state stuck on the end of the Malay peninsula, is tolerating of all religions or none. There are one or two atheist societies angling for some premises to be put at their disposal, for atheist promulgation purposes, like the other religions (religion here refers to the rights appertaining to a a religious viewpoint) but I imagine that atheism has to increase its global visibility before such requests are taken seriously.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-17-2015 at 03:19 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
add martyr's to the duck list. Can't wait for the temple.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Maybe the Buddhists of India who were killed by Muslim invaders because the Buddhists weren't theists, whereas the Hindus were, even if their religion was considered not worthy of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism