Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 04:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times

Advertisements

Fort Wayne, Indiana. I cannot fathom what this teacher was thinking. Child was in 2nd grade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...elieve-in-god/

Quote:
[The teacher] asked A.B. if he went to church, whether his family went to church, and whether his mother knew how he felt about God.

She also asked A.B. if he believed that maybe God exists
Quote:
On the day of the incident and for an additional two days thereafter, [the teacher] required that A.B. sit by himself during lunch and told him he should not talk to the other students and stated that this was because he had offended them. This served to reinforce A.B.’s feeling that he had committed some transgression that justified his exclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
That teacher should be fired.

Then, the principal should talk to all of the children and tell them it is perfectly acceptable for people to have different beliefs and that their teacher was wrong.

The little boy should also get a public apology in front of all of the other students.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:07 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,352,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Fort Wayne, Indiana. I cannot fathom what this teacher was thinking. Child was in 2nd grade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...elieve-in-god/
When I was in 3rd grade, circa 1956, one of my classmates remarked out loud in class that God spelled backwards was dog. The teacher slapped his face and told the boy that he had blasphemed the Lord. Sixty later and some teachers are still ignorant demigods.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
From the article:
Quote:
9. On or about February 23, 2015, A.B. and his classmates were on the playground during the school day immediately before lunch when A.B. was asked by one of his classmates if he attended church.

10. A.B. responded by stating that he did not go to church and did not believe in God. He also stated that it was fine with him if his inquiring classmate believed in God.

11. The classmate said that A.B. had hurt her feelings by saying that he did not believe in God and started to cry.
So A.B. is the well-adjusted one who just responded factually with solicited information, while making sure that the other classmate knew that A.B. was totally cool with the other classmate's belief...

...and the other classmate had a "My feelings are hurt!" breakdown?

We're talking second graders here. The other child really is not to blame at all - the indoctrinators obviously got to him/her early, did their job thoroughly, and have already instilled an impressive persecution-complex.

And as for the teachers? There are many teachers who more than earn the title of public servant. Sadly, there are also some who subvert both curriculum and the law in order to peddle their religious nonsense.

Quote:
Teaching creationism in public schools has consistently been ruled unconstitutional in federal courts, but according to a national survey of more than 900 public high school biology teachers, it continues to flourish in the nation’s classrooms.

Researchers found that only 28 percent of biology teachers consistently follow the recommendations of the National Research Council to describe straightforwardly the evidence for evolution and explain the ways in which it is a unifying theme in all of biology. At the other extreme, 13 percent explicitly advocate creationism, and spend at least an hour of class time presenting it in a positive light.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/sc...nism.html?_r=0

Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 AM

689 posts, read 495,294 times
If the story is true, the teacher should be fired and never permitted to teach anywhere ever again!

Old 08-19-2015, 05:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
I had a quick look to see how this was going ..

http://www.wthr.com/story/29411211/f...ts-on-religion

...and the comments were interesting. Most said that the teacher was out of line, but of course atheists might be more inclined to respond. Apart from one stupid or trolling comment, there were two arguing for the Other side and, interestingly, showed staggering ineptitude or denial. One suggested the pupil made the whole thing up and the other suggested that he 'should have been kind'. Other commenters saw this as a papered -over demand that we pay lip -service to religion in order not to offend the faithful.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:55 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
When my daughter was in the 5th grade, at a parent/teacher conference it was brought up that my daughter was obsessed with the "occult"...this was after a weekend visit to a psychic fair, and she was just talking about the crystals, tarots, aura readings, etc., which she thought was cool. The teacher thought otherwise. My family is just heavily interested in the paranormal...we go on ghost hunts/haunted house tours...my brother can see orbs and auras. You'd think that made her demonic or something for being exposed a little bit to it, instead of being dragged to Sunday school.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-20-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 01:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
When my daughter was in the 5th grade, at a parent/teacher conference it was brought up that my daughter was obsessed with the "occult"...this was after a weekend visit to a psychic fair, and she was just talking about the crystals, tarots, aura readings, etc., which she thought was cool. The teacher thought otherwise. My family is just heavily interested in the paranormal...we go on ghost hunts/haunted house tours...my brother can see orbs and auras. You'd think that made her demonic or something for being exposed a little bit to it, instead of being dragged to Sunday school.

The superstition level in this country is getting ridiculous. At one time there was NO contradiction between an interest in the paranormal or astrology or you-name-it and even really hardcore religious belief. Now I see stuff like "yoga should be outlawed because it was created by a false god" and "I got kicked out of my church for life because my daughter asked a kid in Sunday school if she was an Aries" -- it would make a cat laugh.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I am sooooooo glad, that in Elementary School in the 1960s I had science teachers that taught *science*, scientific method and critical thinking, and debunked stuff like 'astrology' and other 'paranormal'/'occult' crap. This was grades 1-6, there is no good reason that this is not a standard that *all* schools should be held to.

It boggles my mind that there are still any schools teaching anything differently.

Religion, *any* religion, has no place in public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism