Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 AM

134 posts, read 253,161 times

Advertisements

I was raised in the church and throughout my adolescent years, I never wanted to rebel from church. I had no interest in going out to parties and my parents were very strict and never allowed that sort of thing anyway. Now I am almost 30 and I still go to church mainly because I am so used to it and don't really know where else to go. Sometimes, it's fine. I like the socialization, sometimes the music is really good and I enjoy it. Other times, it's just a long miserable and depressing day listening to nonsensical sermons and me wondering why I still attend. Every now and then if I put off church, I end up bored and return to church the following week. And figuring out something besides church is daunting because I'm not the most social person, most people I'm close to go to church, and doing something else means making some new friends. How do you distance yourself from church when you have gotten this comfortable there yet get so depressed when you're there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,217,482 times
What do you do with your life when you aren't going to church?

Do more of that.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:40 AM

20,141 posts, read 13,585,734 times
There is a whole world of things to do, so I'm not sure how you even COULD be bored, and I sure don't see how going to church would solve that.

Are you extroverted, and very social? If so you are probably one of those people who gets antsy if you don't have enough Other People stimulating you. If that's true, then once you recognize that church is meeting a social need, you can find alternatives.

One that I don't consider "church" in other than a superficial sense, but which provides most of the trappings and social opportunities, are Unitarian Universalist societies, which are welcoming to all beliefs and unbeliefs. Others include volunteering for secular charities, political campaigns, community food banks, and so forth. You can make friends through joining an exercise class or a secular meditation group.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,814,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
I was raised in the church and throughout my adolescent years, I never wanted to rebel from church. I had no interest in going out to parties and my parents were very strict and never allowed that sort of thing anyway. Now I am almost 30 and I still go to church mainly because I am so used to it and don't really know where else to go. Sometimes, it's fine. I like the socialization, sometimes the music is really good and I enjoy it. Other times, it's just a long miserable and depressing day listening to nonsensical sermons and me wondering why I still attend. Every now and then if I put off church, I end up bored and return to church the following week. And figuring out something besides church is daunting because I'm not the most social person, most people I'm close to go to church, and doing something else means making some new friends. How do you distance yourself from church when you have gotten this comfortable there yet get so depressed when you're there?

Really? Church is the only thing that can get you off your duff and out of the house? Maybe you should rethink this agnostic/atheist thing.

Look up your local chamber of commerce. It will have a long list of organizations that you could join and/or volunteer for. Pick one. Pick three.

Spend more time at the library. Their bulletin board will be full of current local activities. Take names and phone numbers.

Register at meetup.com. See who is meeting about what in your area.

What makes for an interesting person that other people would like to know? A person who is *interested*. Your problem isn't church. It's your own ennui.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,951,713 times
I go fishing, hunting, boating, hiking, visiting with family, or having more sex than I would if I will go to church.

Pick which one is more applicable at the point in time.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,228,715 times
Quote:
What do you do with yourself when you stop going to church?
Try volunteering or getting involved in your community, or spend time developing yourself through art, hobbies, education or leisure activities.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,796,835 times
Quote:
So my experience my have been a bit different from yours. when I left the faith, I was married and my wife and I both left at the same time. We replaced the time we spent at church with sleeping in on a Sunday, or working on our home improvement projects. It has been many years since we left, but we still end up with some "rituals"

Currently, Sunday morning we go to my in-laws house for biscuits and gravy, and a couple games of dominoes. If my wife's folks didn't live up here, my Sunday morning would consist of running 6-10 miles with my running buddies and breakfast afterwards. In a couple weeks, my Sunday afternoon will be filled by volleyball at the local Y. The time I would have previously spent on religion in one form or another, which probably added up to 15 or 20 hours a week, I now spend on my family, my friends, my hobbies, and my home improvement tasks ( I always have a ton of those!).

-NoCapo

Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,255,272 times
I garden, play with my dogs, work in the shop, paint, make things, clean the house, do netflix marathons, have dinner parties with friends, go to the park and feed the ducks, go grocery shopping (really quiet during church hours in my town), wash the car, bake a cake, go to the farm down the street, make jam, etc.

Pretty much whatever I want to do on any given day. This Sunday we're doing a Dr Who marathon with some friends and maybe a couple games of pool or air hockey (I love my gameroom)

Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM

7,257 posts, read 7,120,326 times
This question worries me a lot. Just how much time were you wasting at church anyway?

In my mind, church is two hours Sunday morning.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,223,480 times
Eat roast beef hash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism