Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,649,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I'm afraid I need some clarification on the last 2 paragraphs.
What I am pointing to is for a complex issue like 'God exists?' we cannot resolve it merely by any simple syllogism or arguments.

What we need is a framework and system that will take into account all relevant variables and tackle the problem holistically. My proposal for such is a Critical Philosophical Framework and System. My main source of such a framework is from Kantian philosophy.

Because the Framework is VERY extensive and deep, it is not practical for me at present to provide the full details. I am hoping someone can sense what I am trying to do and contribute/discuss certain aspects of it.

Quote:
But as for lying and absolutes: Lying is relative because our experience of reality is relative. Even when we are experiencing something absolute, by the time we are experiencing it its already subjective. We essentially make a recording of it in our memory and when we record those accounts in writing, electronic recording etc, we are making a copy of a copy of what really happened. We could have all the facts but it still loses reality as soon as we experience then share that experience to verify it. Whatever the truth is, it gets slightly diluted with just a pinch of lie by default. The flip side of lies being relative is that the truth is also. Even if accounts about god are true, they are diluted by our subjectivity.
I agree experience is relative.
However the 'reality' that is experienced is also relative.
I do not agree with the 'Correspondence Theory of Truth' where it is postulated there is an independent reality out there to be corresponded with.

Even if accounts about god are true, they are diluted by our subjectivity.
In the above case, we cannot even use "if" because God is an impossibility.
There is no point in speculating 'if square circle is true' or 3+1 =10 is true.

The fact is 'God exists' is brought to thought because it is psychologically necessary to the individual for a internal security and peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism