Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you react?
Say nothing and go home 22 70.97%
Confront after noticing it. Tell them they shoudln't do that to young minds, and throw candy back. 5 16.13%
Embrace it as a nice gesture 4 12.90%
I'm too weak minded or to politically correct to have an opinion 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:22 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Atheists should be actually brave enough to tell their kids not to celebrate Halloween since there is no such thing as Ghosts, spirits, demons etc, just as there is no Santa and no God so celebration of Christmas is a foolish act.
No one who celebrates Halloween is claiming they are real. The purpose isn't to worship such things but to have fun scaring each other. But then FUNdamentalists don't have much of an understanding of fun, particularly other people's fun, so they tend to want to be controlling about it as usual.

Alas, I lack the circuitry to think that it's either scary or fun so even as a child I simply was indifferent to it and let other people do their thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No one who celebrates Halloween is claiming they are real. The purpose isn't to worship such things but to have fun scaring each other. But then FUNdamentalists don't have much of an understanding of fun, particularly other people's fun, so they tend to want to be controlling about it as usual.

Alas, I lack the circuitry to think that it's either scary or fun so even as a child I simply was indifferent to it and let other people do their thing.
May be its also "fun" for some people to feel happy and content when they worship?

Will "fun" be defined by Atheist only?

By the way, why would an Athiest get scared by Halloween costumes, Ghosts, spirits and demons etc when he believes these things don't exist just as he wont worship because he thinks God doesn't exist?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:

By the way, why would an Athiest get scared by Halloween costumes, Ghosts, spirits and demons etc when he believes these things don't exist just as he wont worship because he thinks God doesn't exist?
"I don't believe in ghosts, but I've been afraid of them all my life.-" -Charles A. Dana (1819-1897), U.S. journalist

It's instinctive - like religious belief. It requires education and mental discipline to begin to get over it.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Atheists should be actually brave enough to tell their kids not to celebrate Halloween since there is no such thing as Ghosts, spirits, demons etc, just as there is no Santa and no God so celebration of Christmas is a foolish act.
Oh you've got to be kidding me...

Do you really think anyone is really out there because they want to draw off spirits??? They are there because it's a fun party. Kids love dressing up and happen to be fond of candy. Adults dress up for their own parties, not for any religious reasons.

Whereas Christmas ....

Old 11-04-2015, 10:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
How would you react if at all? Take the poll!
If you're going to have your children pound on their door and beg for candy, you deserve whatever you get.

Maybe she should have given you a chill pill.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:44 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
I would have taked the candy, ripped the tracts and thrown the pieces back on their lawn.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I knew someone who mixed her psych meds in with the Smartees. Kids and parents did not see the difference and a few children were hospitalized.
I hope she went to jail.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:03 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
May be its also "fun" for some people to feel happy and content when they worship?

Will "fun" be defined by Atheist only?

Come now, you're smarter than that.

I never said anything about it being wrong for people to enjoy worshiping their deity of choice. Or that atheists are the sole arbiters of fun. I even admitted that I am personally indifferent to Halloween, so I as an atheist certainly don't advance it as a "fun" or "scary" activity. But I do understand why many people engage in it.

Humans have had Halloween and similar things since time immemorial. Humans have watched horror movies and read horror novels, etc. for multiple reasons. People enjoy it. It doesn't necessarily mean they believe in or fear actual ghosts. Fright is a surprise response to something unexpected. It is reassuring to feel a sense of control over the unexpected, to have some understanding of our fear responses, and to deliberately mess around with it.

Stephen King once wrote that his job is to put his characters through the wringer so that the reader won't think his own fears and tribulations to be nearly so bad by comparison. That is another aspect of the psychology of fright.

Fundamentalism tends to overthink such things and makes the mistake of confusing people's role playing with fundamentalisms own belief in the demonic. It is therefore largely projection on the part of fundamentalists. The actual fear belongs TO the fundamentalists.

I have always found it ironic that fundamentalism is so afraid of Satan and gives so much glory and credit to this character ... often more than they give to their own deity. It is a modern version of genuflecting or spitting at the evil eye to ward off the influence of evil spirits. And just as superstitious.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
How would you react if at all? Take the poll!
yeah, giving a message of hope is bad. Sure its limited, but was was her intent. Being nice?

I do agree with "fundamentalist do have a lot of fear, focusing on the "mental" center of the word gives its nature away. The mentals. Fear of that non-existent Omni-dude or the imaginary boogey man religion (spaghetti-dude). Neither are real But like a zebra can only think like a zebra, these fundy's can only think literally. Like little kids they can't think any other way. they can change, but it's hard. The very first step is honesty, and of course, get off the booze or drugs for a year and think.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I hope she went to jail.
She was found incompetent, and admitted to a hospital where she remains today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism