Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,906 times

Advertisements

Such a silly OP. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 34 years. I would have 0 problem being abstinent and taking care of her.

OP, you are seriously dillusional and should seek help.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
The amusing thing is that the OP apparently hangs around the Relationships forum, giving other people advice. Eeek.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:40 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
more christian whack jobs killing their children with prayer.

Faith-healing couple charged with murder following newborn baby's death

Quote:
OREGON CITY, Ore. — The faith-healing parents of a baby who died earlier this year just hours after she was born have been charged with murder in connection to her death.
Sarah Mitchell, 24, gave birth to twin girls March 5 at her parents' Oregon City home. She and her husband, 21-year-old Travis Mitchell, are part of the Followers of Christ church - a group that doesn't believe in medical care and instead relies on prayer and anointment with oil for healing.
One of the infants, Ginnifer, died just hours after birth due to
http://katu.com/news/local/faith-hea...rn-babys-death

Where'd you go Jobster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KRDp65glU

Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
A reminder that freedom of religion is not absolute. According to the article, the mother and husband have been charged with murder...and the mother's sister is currently serving time on a murder conviction for doing the same thing with her child.

I'm not certain that murder charges are appropriate in such cases, the real crime here is gross stupidity.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A reminder that freedom of religion is not absolute. According to the article, the mother and husband have been charged with murder...and the mother's sister is currently serving time on a murder conviction for doing the same thing with her child.

I'm not certain that murder charges are appropriate in such cases, the real crime here is gross stupidity.
Gross stupidity makes it sound like the parents can't help it.

Willful and deliberate negligence comes closer.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

If they have brains which are so tiny that they embrace the faith healing concept at the expense of accepting modern medicine, then in that sense they cannot help it. I'm working under the assumption that they wanted their babies to live rather than die, and if that is correct, these people are the victims of circumstances...as in whatever circumstances caused them to adhere to so stupid a doctrine.

Suppose that you had a set of parents with a critically ill child. One doctor recommends immediate surgery, another doctor says that the child could not possibly survive the surgery and that treatment with internal medicines was the only hope. The parents of course lack the medical background to be able to critique either recommendation, but they must choose one. Let us say that whichever they chose, it was the wrong choice because the child dies. Do we charge those parents with murder for picking the wrong treatment? Or do we acknowledge that they were incapable of distinguishing which treatment was best?

In the case before us, it is not that different. Here is a couple with one recommendation from doctors, and another from their church. If they aren't smart enough to be able to distinguish one as the best chance for their child, in this case medicine over faith, then how are they different from the couple in my above example?

Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Based on the legal definitions, I don't think you could get a conviction on a murder charge. Negligent homicide or voluntary manslaughter would probably be charges that would end up with the parents in prison. The church leadership who counseled them to withhold medical treatment should be charged as accessories.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:12 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
...I'm simply reciprocating. I guess I just feel like the point of atheism would be to create a heaven in this existence because this is the only one you have.

So why would anyone make such sacrifices if ultimately those sacrifices are meaningless and your quality of life suffers tremendously for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That last sentence just shows you are the one not understanding the concept of love. Your whole original post shows you don't get it. If you love someone it's not a sacrifice.

A couple questions, Jobster...

To whom would it be meaningless?

What, in your mind, defines "quality of life" and "heaven in this existence" if not, in large part, loving others?

Old 06-07-2017, 05:00 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Work out what the charge would be for a religio who drove a car without any lessons because they believed they could drive perfectly through Divine Inspiration. Until they hit someone fatally. Murder, wilful negligence or manslaughter. The crime and the charge would be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Based on the legal definitions, I don't think you could get a conviction on a murder charge. Negligent homicide or voluntary manslaughter would probably be charges that would end up with the parents in prison. The church leadership who counseled them to withhold medical treatment should be charged as accessories.
Thank you. I was thinking that a mitigating factor in the charge would be diminished responsibility, not through being crazy, but though believing crazy things. And let's say someone became crazy because a local company put stuff in the water. They would be accessories. So I was thinking too, the jerks who taught them to think in that crazy way are to take some of the blame for the craziness as accessories.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:48 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Sounds irrational. I thought the premise of atheism was logic and rationality, so the concept of "love" doesn't make any sense to me if I were to view the world through atheist' lens.
You are arguing in a circle because you pre-suppose that there is some logical "law" that one must be selfish, and then using it to argue that one must be selfish. You cannot "prove" that selfishness is more rational than empathy, without presupposing it to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism