Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:48 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
which moral credit in specific you talking about given to Christianity which it did not deserve?

I think I would rather agree with you if you wanted to say what I believe in the following sense.

Perhaps the credit given to the morals in the "MESSAGE" of Christianity is not wrong, but *ALL* the followers of Christianity may not adhere to the message of Christianity - SO, "Judge a religion or it's moral code by it's message and NOT by the followers of that religion" ----- Just like what some Buddhists are doing in Burma does not represent Buddhism

There are many Christians who do not represent the message of Christianity or it's moral code.

Read your own sentence again.

How can religion eject anyone?
Religion is not a law enforcement with police and army. It's only a message.
Whoever wants to follow it, use or abuse it, will have to stand in the court of God on the judgement day.

If there is a pedophile priest, then it's the LAW of the land that should bring him under the weight of justice - AND anyone else who supports such priests.

"Religion" can't eject anyone from anywhere. It's only a message with a choice to follow or not?

Can Buddhism eject the killers looters and rapists Buddhists in Burma?

And mind you, I am not a Christian; however, I do respect all faiths and their message.
1. Christians heap upon themselves a great deal of praise upon themselves about things they take credit for. That's undeserved and unbecoming.

2. So you would agree with me if I said what you believey. Duh! You say what you want to say, but don't put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself.

3. No. What is happening in Burma represents one face of Buddhism UNTIL some people make it stop.

4. Don't tell me what to do. I know what I wrote. I meant what I wrote. Get off your high horse.

5. It would appear to me that you don't know the difference between a belief system and an organized religion. For example, priests who sexually abuse children should be excommunicated. They may, of course, continue to hold whatever belief system they wish. Same for Buddhist monks or lay people who intentionally abuse Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 10:50 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Christians heap upon themselves a great deal of praise upon themselves about things they take credit for. That's undeserved and unbecoming.
Yet, many Atheists believe that they are EVEN BETTER than Christians - ironic isn't it.

Quote:
2. So you would agree with me if I said what you believey. Duh! You say what you want to say, but don't put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself.
I don't agree with you in the words you are uttering.

Quote:
3. No. What is happening in Burma represents one face of Buddhism UNTIL some people make it stop.
So you agree that one face of Buddhism DOES allow raping women, tossing small children into fire in front of their parents, kill innocent civilians people by scores, burn their house, destroy their villages and indulge in all kinds of man slaughter and atrocities against humanity. Perhaps this is the true face of Buddhism?

Quote:
4. Don't tell me what to do. I know what I wrote. I meant what I wrote. Get off your high horse.
You are not that important and worth my time to tell you what to do and what not to do. This is a public forum. Everyone is allowed to write freely as long as he/she doesn't break the TOS. Yes, I know some people don't understand this concept.

Quote:
5. It would appear to me that you don't know the difference between a belief system and an organized religion. For example, priests who sexually abuse children should be excommunicated. They may, of course, continue to hold whatever belief system they wish. Same for Buddhist monks or lay people who intentionally abuse Muslims.
Yeah, I may not know the difference between a belief system and organized religion.
So, in the light of blue text above, tell me what is Buddhism, a belief system and an organized religion?

Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Yet, many Atheists believe that they are EVEN BETTER than Christians - ironic isn't it.

I can't speak for all atheists. Here I speak for myself and the atheists I know personally.

I don't agree with you in the words you are uttering.

Frankly Scarlett!

So you agree that one face of Buddhism DOES allow raping women, tossing small children into fire in front of their parents, kill innocent civilians people by scores, burn their house, destroy their villages and indulge in all kinds of man slaughter and atrocities against humanity. Perhaps this is the true face of Buddhism?
Until the religion cleanses itself of those deficiencies, it is part of the current face of Buddhism.

You are not that important and worth my time to tell you what to do and what not to do. This is a public forum. Everyone is allowed to write freely as long as he/she doesn't break the TOS. Yes, I know some people don't understand this concept.

Yeah, I may not know the difference between a believe system and organized religion.
So, in the light of blue text above, tell me what is Buddhism, a believe system and organized religion?

Buddhism is both. Christianity is both. Hinduism is both. Since I mentioned in an earlier post about Catholic priests who have abused children, they can always -- as individuals -- have a Catholic belief system. That does not mean that they should be able to actively participate in the organized church as priests, or in my view, even as lay people receiving sacraments until they have fully cleansed themselves.

My responses above in blue.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Atheists don't condone genocide, while Jesus not only condoned it, he participated in it.

Atheists don't condone rape, yet Jesus did.

Atheists don't condone slavery, but Jesus did.

Atheists show more respect toward women, and treat women as equals, but Jesus did not.

Atheists believe in democracy, while Jesus supported and even instituted dictatorships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
--- That's a silly argument (made by many). Matthew, Mark, Luke and John wrote down the words of Christ (not Christ himself) -- They did so under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, just like Paul. Either the Bible is the inspired Word of God (based on a ton of evidence) ... or it's not (based on human opinions).
Matthew, Mark and Luke state Jesus went once, and only once, to Jerusalem, where he over-turned the tables of the money-changers and was subsequently arrested and tried.

John claims Jesus went to Jerusalem twice. The first time Jesus went to Jerusalem, he over-turned the tables of the money-changers in the Temple, then went on to minister for about a year, then returned to Jerusalem a second time, where he was arrested and tried.

Very obviously, the Holy Spirit doesn't have a clue as to what actually took place.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Atheists don't condone genocide, while Jesus not only condoned it, he participated in it.

Atheists show more respect toward women, and treat women as equals, but Jesus did not.

Atheists believe in democracy, while Jesus supported and even instituted dictatorships.
Yet there are 2.2 billion people in the world today who call themselves Christians, projected to be 2.9 billion by 2050. So Jesus must have done something to inspire such an enormous and long-lasting following.

What have you accomplished?

Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Yet there are 2.2 billion people in the world today who call themselves Christians, projected to be 2.9 billion by 2050. So Jesus must have done something to inspire such an enormous and long-lasting following.

What have you accomplished?
It's as if you're saying the majority rules. Except that means that more than half the world disagrees with the Christian perspective.

But also...you first...what have you accomplished?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
The validity of a belief is measured by whether or not it is true, not how popular it is. Once nearly everyone in the Roman empire was a pagan, does that mean that Mars and Jupiter "must have done something to inspire such enormous and long lasting following?"

Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Matthew, Mark and Luke state Jesus went once, and only once, to Jerusalem, where he over-turned the tables of the money-changers and was subsequently arrested and tried.

John claims Jesus went to Jerusalem twice. The first time Jesus went to Jerusalem, he over-turned the tables of the money-changers in the Temple, then went on to minister for about a year, then returned to Jerusalem a second time, where he was arrested and tried.

Very obviously, the Holy Spirit doesn't have a clue as to what actually took place.

The only thing "very obvious" here is that you have your own pre-conceived notions and don't want to allow facts or truth to get in the way. -- Some of what you say is a matter of interpretation; most of it is simply based on Spiritual and Biblical ignorance (aka: 'blindness')

Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
If we keep the topic in mind (Religion has done more harm than good), the trend of the thread is towards what (I think) counts more than the total brownie points vs. smears (the recent scandal in Oxfam shows that secularism can't claim that much moral high ground) and that is, what's true, and that really comes down to whether the Bible is credible or not.

Accusations of biblical ignorance (Blindness) is little more than an appeal to faith and inversion of the rejection of facts or truth accusation you level at us. Interpretation has been seen for what it is - ignoring the problems and either making something up and saying it must be true because it makes the story work or shrugging off grotesque contradictions as slips of memory and appeal to the 'witnesses don't always agree' apologetic, or claiming that two virtually identical events happened twice at quite different times, and never mind that none of the evangelists know of both the events, or if all else fails 'just have faith'.

This will not do for us, nor for anyone who cares that their beliefs make sense.

In that respect, Mircea is on the right lines in showing that only real bit of Evidence Christianity has - the NT - is not credible, no more than your accusations of ignorance and 'blindness'.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
There are far more Muslims than Christians in this world, now and projected in the future. Looks like Jesus isn't very good at spreading the gospel. Allah seems to be embarrassing him right now effortlessly. His followers are so fanatical they're willing to kill, what are you willing to do for your Jesus besides type on a keyboard?

Back on topic, Christianity is fine if adults are doing it and keeping it to themselves.

The massive problem is all the religious childhood indoctrination being forced upon kids by their Christian parents, this practice should be illegal. I have Christian friends who I highly respect and admire, perhaps their religion has helped them become who they are today. But sadly they will just continue the practice of forcing this same religion upon their kids who will be too young to comprehend such a concept until it's too late.

So at the end of the day, when billions of people are wasting years of their lives attending church, erasing evolution and science, praying, discriminating against gays, hating abortion doctors, and worshiping a deity who clearly wouldn't stop a mass shooting if you asked nicely, it is self-evident that Christianity has done more harm than good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism