Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times

Advertisements

@Mircea: I hope you're not including me in the category of believers? I'm too enamored of Bertrand Russell, Dawkins, Hitch, Harris, et. al.

I used to carry Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian around with me on the schoolbus, just to annoy people. I really do love his prose style and I agree with his perspective. And have for 50+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 08:24 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I wish people would stop fighting, as they seem to be doing on all the active threads. It's just such an awful bore.
Would you prefer if we simply start listing all the actively negative things christians do?

Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Would you prefer if we simply start listing all the actively negative things christians do?
No, I would prefer it if we just ignored them. Never argue with a fool, as they say.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:14 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
No, I would prefer it if we just ignored them. Never argue with a fool, as they say.
No. This is serious stuff. This isn't just people spouting off for the fun of it. This is a struggle for not only personal respect, but for what this nation will be. Silence is not an option.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
@Mircea: I hope you're not including me in the category of believers? I'm too enamored of Bertrand Russell, Dawkins, Hitch, Harris, et. al.

I used to carry Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian around with me on the schoolbus, just to annoy people. I really do love his prose style and I agree with his perspective. And have for 50+ years.
It's easy to mistake sometimes who is on what side. I Imagine that Mircea was misled by your trying to bring the classroom to order. Fact is that it's the Theist side who tend to play the 'let's all play nice' card - when they are losing.

Quote:
No. This is serious stuff. This isn't just people spouting off for the fun of it. This is a struggle for not only personal respect, but for what this nation will be. Silence is not an option.
Yes. That's what it has been about since the New atheism and "New" Evangelism (a heady mix of Bible literalism and creationism) formed up and sent the skirmishers forward. Probably what we do here is a tiny bit of what the other accomplish with Books, sites, TV shows and their own Forums, but somebody is watching me 6-10,000 hits a day (they can't all be hackers looking for Bank Details) and I'm hoping they'l pick up some wriggles from the discussions, debates and Pearl harbour re-enactments (1) that go on here.

(1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccuWFidUYI

They did an excellent re-enactment of Kassrine pass with flying teapots.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-23-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Okay, well, I see your point.

@Transformer: never really got into Monty Python. Prefer George Carlin and Richard Pryor.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:36 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
And dishonest things. I can not ignore the dishonest things they say.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:38 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
But the fools are spouting dishonest and stupid things.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, well, I see your point.

@Transformer: never really got into Monty Python. Prefer George Carlin and Richard Pryor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ucaIb0_ZE

Old 11-24-2018, 08:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
I totally agree!

I'd rep you if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism