Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised catholic
lost my faith years ago and am now agnostic
I could teach religion classes with the knowledge I have accumulated after 12 years of a catholic school
we are raising our kids catholic

my daughter asks a lot of questions and I fell like I am lying to her
especially about heaven and hell...I hate these concepts...she is so worried she is going to hell (for little stupid stuff) that I just want to tell her its ALL bulls***...there is no heaven or hell, these are fairy tale man created concepts to force people in line out of fear...

I have no problem lying about santa the easter bunny and democrats...but I feel horrible lying about religion
similar experiences???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Why are you raising your kids as Catholics?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
I'd echo Grandstander's question.

And I'll observe that your kid may well already realize that you are lying to her. Which could very well be part of her anxiety.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I was born and raised catholic
lost my faith years ago and am now agnostic
I could teach religion classes with the knowledge I have accumulated after 12 years of a catholic school
we are raising our kids catholic

my daughter asks a lot of questions and I fell like I am lying to her
especially about heaven and hell...I hate these concepts...she is so worried she is going to hell (for little stupid stuff) that I just want to tell her its ALL bulls***...there is no heaven or hell, these are fairy tale man created concepts to force people in line out of fear...

I have no problem lying about santa the easter bunny and democrats...but I feel horrible lying about religion
similar experiences???
when mine asked i told them they weren't real places. i told them that original sin meant ignorance. I did ask them what can they learn from the stories like noah.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
I wouldn't, and didn't, lie to my children about my beliefs, or lack thereof.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Mine ask "why do you make us go to ccd if you don't believe?"

i say ... go ask your mother ... no, j/k. people worry about indoctrination. I don't.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
I agree with the others. Why do this? You are an adult, you have the authority to raise your child in the way you see fit.

You may feel bad about lying about religion because it is more impactful than Santa. Kids believe in Santa for about 7 years, then they know the truth. Religion is often for life.

Don’t lie to your kids. It is a bad example to set.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Although it was not the case in my life, some couples have divergent opinions on what children should or should not be exposed to during their malleable years. Some opt for six-of-one, half-dozen of the other.

For instance, my Catholic brother alternated Sundays between his church and that of his Dutch Reformed wife. Their kids were exposed to both belief systems, more or less equally. Seems like a sensible enough approach to his pagan older brother.

I don't see why a non-believer couldn't work out an arrangement with a believing spouse. Take the kids to church with believing Dad on alternate Sundays, with non-believing Mom heating up pizza and prepping the kids for some Sunday football action on the other. Or mebbe going for a walk in a field or along a creek.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
I take it that your spouse is likely the reason behind raising the kids Catholic? In my experience the Mother In Law of the religious spouse can often be a force or engine behind having children raised in a faith, often placing pressure on her son or daughter (marital spouse) to do so.

This can leave the Agnostic spouse in somewhat of a dilemma due to the fact that if they teach the children to "stray from the path" so to speak, and the kids wind up getting in trouble, start to hang with the wrong crowd, etc. guess who gets blamed?

Mother In Law: "I knew you never should have married that *****, leading the children away from the Church!! Look what's happened now!!...

Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Buddhism says that the children should be respectfully teaching the parents the better Buddhism if they so know it. This is the highest wholesome deed. For a child to love his parent's further understanding and peace of mind. If the parent believes the child to be incorrect, they should be respectfully corrected for their child's benefit, out of parental love. Respect must be properly given to be deserved. The parents are a child's first teachers, and the children are the parents' last helpers.

Don't remember what sect or scripture that was from exactly, though.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-10-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism