Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's face it -- he's got nothing.
He has Something, and it probably matters. To him, anyway. I already hinted at what I suspect it is - wanting to keep the options of God open - and he sees us as trying to 'disprove God', which we can't do -only give reasons to not believe - which as an atheist is where he already is.

The other is perhaps an attachment to religion as part of society.

Or both. Perhaps he will tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Let's face it -- he's got nothing.
See post 689

Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The comment was said in regard to people believing the battle is in the forum (against individuals). It was not to give you a basis to probe my life, identity, or involvement in the community in a public forum. Are you crazy?
The attempt to break out, Raffs.
CC, let's not get personal, or pretend that this was about poking into your personal affairs (Raff's Q about your age aside (1). Nor was it about individuals on the forum. It was about 'anti -theists' as a group and their methods. If you take issue with what they are doing, it is reasonable to ask what you would propose as an improvement.

(1) the fact is that Raffs was wondering whether allowances ought to be made for youth. I tend to talk to everyone the same, for my part.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
The comment was said in regard to people believing the battle is in the forum (against individuals). It was not to give you a basis to probe my life, identity, or involvement in the community in a public forum. Are you crazy?
I am NOT asking about your life, or your identity, or what you have done. So get over that.

You keep talking about keeping religion out of daily life. How do you propose atheists (in general) do that?

Either you've got some strategies in mind, or you're just an empty talker.

It is time to put some cards on the table. Otherwise, you're just wasting our time.

I'm going to start a thread for concrete suggestions for atheists on how to remove religion from daily life. I hope you will NOT post in it.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He has Something, and it probably matters. To him, anyway. I already hinted at what I suspect it is - wanting to keep the options of God open - and he sees us as trying to 'disprove God', which we can't do -only give reasons to not believe - which as an atheist is where he already is.

The other is perhaps an attachment to religion as part of society.

Or both. Perhaps he will tell us.
I don’t believe in God - and I know all of your attempts to insult, call me a believer, whatever - are an attempt to prove you are ‘right’. You may post more and have more time to devote to a forum than I do, but that doesn’t mean you ‘won’ anything. In fact, if you were involved with atheists who are trying to make a difference in a constructive way, you would realize most atheists are not anti-theistic. But let’s be real. You are here to feed your own ego (not to address national causes) - to spread around your ‘logic’ and prove you are right to all those who are bored enough to read it; because that is more important to you than any cause of atheism. Bottom line - I don’t care what your opinion is; you shouldn’t care so much about mine. Go focus on spreading your anti-theistic dogma to Christians. I’m an atheist - my ‘soul’ doesn’t need saving by you, so you are losing valuable preaching time!

Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 PM

This is merely persisting in avoiding the question put to you. Please list the ways that you would go about achieving the aims that - as atheists- we (you and I and most that post here) share in a way that would be better than the way 'anti -theists' do it. More efforts to evade, start a row, change the subject will only make it clear that you realise that your prejudices are based on something other than all the reasons that you have given so far.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I am NOT asking about your life, or your identity, or what you have done. So get over that.

You keep talking about keeping religion out of daily life. How do you propose atheists (in general) do that?

Either you've got some strategies in mind, or you're just an empty talker.

It is time to put some cards on the table. Otherwise, you're just wasting our time.

I'm going to start a thread for concrete suggestions for atheists on how to remove religion from daily life. I hope you will NOT post in it.

You are wasting your own time with constant petty battles over any individual’s personal beliefs/disbeliefs.

You are also being narrow-minded not to see you are doing the same thing as Christians do when they don’t accept we are atheists.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Your atheist credentials have been validated. That is not an issue, merely a pretext for evasion of the question you keep avoiding.

Ask yourself and tell us, what is your actual problem with 'anti -theist' atheists? Bite the bullet.
By the way - trying to find those vids again, you said anti theism was this:
"to clarify, I was classifying an ‘anti-theist’ as an ‘extreme view’ of atheism. I believe only a small percentage of atheists are also anti-theistic."

What is this 'extreme view' of atheism. What's the problem with what 'we' are doing and what would you suggest would be better?further, perhaos this is part of it (aside the personals, which I left in to give a bit of context) "Christianity transcends logic - and to continuously approach it in an anti-theistic way shoving atheism down people’s throats because they are ‘stupid’ serves no purpose other than feeding your own feelings of superiority". (emphasis mine)

Perhaps it would nudge your thinking on this a bit.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-04-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 01:21 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
You are wasting your own time with constant petty battles over any individual’s personal beliefs/disbeliefs.

You are also being narrow-minded not to see you are doing the same thing as Christians do when they don’t accept we are atheists.
I've never dealt with a person in your profession -- which you list in your public profile -- who isn't aware of the word "strategies".

Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I have lived in DFW the past couple of yrs cause of my ex's relo. So true...it was the biggest adjustment I had to make.
I bet. I don't know how anyone can say (especially living in the South) that they have never had a problem with the religious. Apparently, they're just not paying attention or just don't care what the religious think, say or do. Personally, I don't like being compared to a satan worshiper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism