Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. The 'ganging up' situation has been noted before. It can be a problem. I have (in the past) suggested a request for a 1-to -one discussion with others keeping out of it. But that is like suggesting that one pigeon be given the breadcrust -rights.

Mind you, the points made to CC have all been pretty much the same. He could have copied a circular to each of us.
I have explained repeatedly why I have an opinion against anti-theism and the differences between being atheist and anti-theist. I sincerely don’t understand how you are still confused; but it is past the point to agree we disagree. As an atheist, we should be promoting independent thought (not anti-religion). It is not effective (or realistic) to attempt to remove religion by (basically what amounts to) an attempt of an emotional beatdown of posters who do not agree. We can be atheists, and not believe in gods, and want religion kept out of our schools and education - but at the same time not oppose the belief by others. We can be activists without being anti-theistic as well. In anti-theism - and what is clearly evident by the posts of a few, they are motivated by personal anger or the hatred of religion and it controls their thought process and daily lives in the same way religion controls the thought process of Christians. This is why I feel Pleroo’s quote hit the nail on the head. It is not so much our individual beliefs or disbeliefs which matter, it’s the extent to which either controls us. (I paraphrased her words.). Yes, I oppose religion in the schools/government - and someone asked how is that any different? It’s very simple - I’m not opposing or fighting someone about their personal religion, and I’m not opposing religion in itself out of a personal vendetta - because freedom of religion is part of who we are in this country. And freedom to be an atheist. But even more importantly, education and a healthy mind prevails over anger/hate every time.

As I mentioned in another post, I have thought for a very long time basic critical thinking skills and psychology should be taught earlier than college. It’s about education and atheism, not anti-theism. It’s about the encouragement of independent thinking - not just expecting the jump from one bandwagon to another.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-05-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 08:34 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I have explained repeatedly why I have an opinion against anti-theism and the differences between being atheist and anti-theist. I sincerely don’t understand how you are still confused; but it is past the point to agree we disagree. As an atheist, we should be promoting independent thought (not anti-religion). It is not effective (or realistic) to attempt to remove religion by (basically what amounts to) an attempt of an emotional beatdown of posters who do not agree. We can be atheists, and not believe in gods, and want religion kept out of our schools and education - but at the same time not oppose the belief by others. In anti-theism - and what is clearly evident by the posts of a few, they are motivated by personal anger or the hatred of religion and it controls their thought process and daily lives in the same way religion controls the thought process of some Christians. This is why I feel Pleroo’s quote hit the nail on the head. It is not so much our individual beliefs or disbeliefs which matter, it’s the extent to which either controls us. (I paraphrased her words.). Yes, I oppose religion in the schools/government - and someone asked how is that any different? It’s very simple - I’m not opposing or fighting someone about their personal religion, and I’m not opposing religion in itself - because freedom of religion is part of who we are in this country. And freedom to be an atheist.

As I mentioned in another post, I have thought for a very long time basic critical thinking skills and psychology should be taught earlier than college. It’s about education, not anti-theism.
...and still you don't answer the question...'How would you do it differently?' You claim you are too busy to answer yet you have made, I think 5 posts since telling you are to busy to answer the question, any one of which could have been an explanation of how YOU would do it differently.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It is not effective (or realistic) to attempt to remove religion by (basically what amounts to) an attempt of an emotional beatdown of posters who do not agree. We can be atheists, and not believe in gods, and want religion kept out of our schools and education - but at the same time not oppose the belief by others.
So in your world, the way to stop bull-fighting is to say that people should be allowed to go bull-fighting and to not upset fans of bull-fighting by showing what an unacceptable and barbaric practice it is?

Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Some cowboys are all hat and no cattle.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and still you don't answer the question...'How would you do it differently?' You claim you are too busy to answer yet you have made, I think 5 posts since telling you are to busy to answer the question, any one of which could have been an explanation of how YOU would do it differently.
You have it right, Raffs. Our pal CC is reiterating his explanations (all dealt with) and avoids the nub question of his antipathy towards 'anti -theists'.

Sorry -duped the post. It happens.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-05-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
You have it right, Raffs. Our pal CC is reiterating his explanations (all dealt with) and avoids the nub question of his antipathy towards 'anti -theists'.

Quote:
It is not effective (or realistic) to attempt to remove religion by (basically what amounts to) an attempt of an emotional beatdown of posters who do not agree. We can be atheists, and not believe in gods, and want religion kept out of our schools and education - but at the same time not oppose the belief by others.
Aside from the well poisoning terms 'emotional beatdown' which is not, in fact, what we do, I argue that one either argues the case or doesn't. If you don't want to argue the case, fine. Just don't fight those who are fighting for your right to be atheist. If you are willing to argue the case, what is different from what we are doing? You imply that we are being too brutal about it. Sorry, but discussion with Christians gets intense - as you may find if you get into discussion with them - but that in itself does not make what we are doing wrong or unacceptable. It has already been explained that our methods are, in fact, effective. And getting us a more respectful hearing from Some Christians, at least.

What your problem is with anti theism still eludes us as your 'explanations' really do not stand up to scrutiny. And you still refuse to answer the question that would make your beef with 'anti -theism' clear.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-05-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry -duped the post. It happens.
You can remove posts my dear old salt.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You can remove posts my dear old salt.
I was looking for something to replace it with...maybe some more music

Here's something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZVgZbr3Tk

I don't think CC OR myself would find serious fault with this. I don't see any real conflict here. Just an imaginary one that CC has sharked up to validate a prejudice that I don't get. And he doesn't explain it - despite what he says.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-05-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
No antipathy! Maybe you should read it again!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
No antipathy! Maybe you should read it again!
Still avoiding the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism