Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

It is likely that I am not learned enough to understand this, as are some of the posters in this forum. By it appears to me that if you read Sam Harris, spiritual development is possible within the context of a-theism. Not based on dogma or any deities, but some idea of the human spirit. Soul may not be the right word.

Who besides Harris supports this, I wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 12:30 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
I honestly do not think one would have to run any A-Theistic spiritual development past others they may consider more learned, nor necessarily even be familiar with Sam Harris to take/develop that journey.

All religions and non religious beliefs had to start somewhere, and I'm guessing it was likely an individual or collective that launched them all. Think of something you can easily do yourself better than most anyone else, but you may not gain employment for it over another that has a "degree". Or you legally have to have another "licensed" to perform some task it would take you two minutes...

IMO, of course any A-Theist or Agnostic can develop spirituality without running it by officials/academics/etc. and these developments may likely be personal and/or private. Paganism worships Mother Nature/The Moon and Sun/Earth Cycles/Animals/etc. and an A-Theist may find some of these elements spiritual. Or one could manifest a simple spirituality on dark matter helping bind the universe, the perfection of "fractals" and how certain things seem extra-scientific and maybe not fully accounted for or explained by science, yet one does not assign same to a Deity.

Are you old enough to remember Bruce Brown's legendary surf documentary "Endless Summer"? In the movie, the two surfers he follows are continually told by everybody "Everyone Knows There's No Surf In Tahiti" When they get there, there of course is surf, the children of the Villages, having never seen surfing before, start ripping shutters off shacks, grabbing boards and planks and joyously joining the surfers in riding the waves. One surfer states the following:

"They looked like they were having such a good time, I simply didn't have the heart to tell them there was no surf in Tahiti!"...

Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I've never understood what was supposed to be the distinction between being emotional and being spiritual. Spiritualism is a bogus concept, it does not exist save for the religious.

When someone says that they are "a very spiritual person", and it isn't a religious reference, I then anticipate being bored with this person's descriptions of how they feel about things as though their "spiritual" feelings meant anything more than just how they felt about stuff.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I've never understood what was supposed to be the distinction between being emotional and being spiritual. Spiritualism is a bogus concept, it does not exist save for the religious.

When someone says that they are "a very spiritual person", and it isn't a religious reference, I then anticipate being bored with this person's descriptions of how they feel about things as though their "spiritual" feelings meant anything more than just how they felt about stuff.
I usually interpret it to mean they have those moments when they sense they are a part of or feel a connection with the rest of the natural world.
Just my opinion, of course.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I usually interpret it to mean they have those moments when they sense they are a part of or feel a connection with the rest of the natural world.
Just my opinion, of course.
Okay, but what distinguishes that as spiritualism rather than just how they feel?

Old 03-08-2019, 01:45 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Okay, but what distinguishes that as spiritualism rather than just how they feel?
Is there a difference?
If so, you maybe can tell us what it is.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It is likely that I am not learned enough to understand this, as are some of the posters in this forum. By it appears to me that if you read Sam Harris, spiritual development is possible within the context of a-theism. Not based on dogma or any deities, but some idea of the human spirit. Soul may not be the right word.

Who besides Harris supports this, I wonder.
atheist is just no gods. so yeah, they can develop using any number of avenues for 'spiritual growth". we tend not to use magic.

remember, the anti-theist sect does not determine what atheism is. any more than the Fundy theist is all of theism.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is there a difference?
If so, you maybe can tell us what it is.
I'm the one saying that there isn't a difference, so why would you be asking me what it is?

I'm asking those who believe in spiritualism to explain how it is supposed to be different.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:33 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:

The term 'spiritual' is hopelessly vague and nebulous. As such, it means whatever you want it to mean. But, yes, it's mostly just a fancy label to slap on emotion.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
I'm the one saying that there isn't a difference, so why would you be asking me what it is?

I'm asking those who believe in spiritualism to explain how it is supposed to be different.
its not. the question is should we be minimizing all the connections people have to everything around them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism