Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:52 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times

Advertisements

It was at least useful that the OP started this thread, thereby demonstrating that he has no idea how basic logic works.

Evidence is needed for for affirmative belief. Evidence is not needed for a lack of affirmative belief. Luke Skywalker, orcs, dragons, sasquatches, etc. - the default position is non-belief until compelling evidence is presented. Ancient books are not compelling evidence, nor are personal revelations (just as the claims of those claiming to be UFO abductees are meaningless).

This is apparently news to the OP. Sometimes, I wonder how people like him manage to function in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Raffs law. They only apply back -to -front thinking when it comes to religious beliefs.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It was at least useful that the OP started this thread, thereby demonstrating that he has no idea how basic logic works.

Evidence is needed for for affirmative belief. Evidence is not needed for a lack of affirmative belief. Luke Skywalker, orcs, dragons, sasquatches, etc. - the default position is non-belief until compelling evidence is presented. Ancient books are not compelling evidence, nor are personal revelations (just as the claims of those claiming to be UFO abductees are meaningless).

This is apparently news to the OP. Sometimes, I wonder how people like him manage to function in the real world.
Let alone counsel others in how to do so - as apparently he has done. He has claimed to be a retired social worker.

I feel sorry for the clients of some Christian "professionals."

Old 03-18-2019, 07:09 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Come on, just for my OCD, English Lit Minor self....can't you please correct the title? *begging emoji*
SUFFER!!!!

Looks as if mensa beat me to it.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Judge: "Decision for the defendant and upheld due to anyone's lack of ability to explain away the irreducible"....
The fact is none of us know what lies beyond. Atheists have an easier time because until a Deity shows him/her/itself or someone "reports back" from the afterlife, our earthly demise is "evidenced by lack of evidence" as "game over".

We are organic machines with engines/heating-cooling systems/drive trains/etc. not unlike a self driving car with an on board "talking" navigation/safety system. The difference is we have an independent self evolving consciousness/intelligence/personality and emotion program that indeed is "more than the sum of our parts", and is quite difficult (or maybe impossible) to fully account for/explain by earthly measures and human intelligence.

As such, it may lead some of us to ponder/speculate that our consciousness/intelligence/personality may have a "life of it's own" or is borne from properties nor fully understood/known to us. So can we fully claim and be 100% confident this element/life/set of properties ends when what we know or think of "ourselves" as a flesh and blood earthly being dies and decays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Come on, just for my OCD English Lit Minor self....can't you please correct the title? *begging emoji*
"Oxford Christian Dictionary"...

Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
SUFFER!!!!

Looks as if mensa beat me to it.
I was hoping that it would be changed to "Do Atheism have evidence?"

Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Typical. Atheist must insult theist on a personal level. I guess that is part of the atheist creed. So to repeat to the reading comprehension challenged (please carefully read post #1). My simple question was??? A virtual prize awaits for the correct answer!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Typical. Atheist must insult theist on a personal level. I guess that is part of the atheist creed. So to repeat to the reading comprehension challenged (please carefully read post #1). My simple question was??? A virtual prize awaits for the correct answer!
Insults looks like your creed too.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Insults looks like your creed too.
Hypocrites never see themselves as others see them.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hypocrites never see themselves as others see them.
I wonder if they aren't seeing others as they themselves are. The most negative people I run across are always complaining about how rude other people are. Did you notice how he had to hone in on one comment in order to validate his bigotry of atheists? "typical atheist"? what does that even mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism