Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Amen I think it's just the semi-religious/religious folks arguing about never being asked about church, because they are doing it themselves or don't want to shed a bad light on the South. There's no other reason to make claims like that unless you're just wanting to argue for the sake of argument or someone is just wanting to downplay the fact that it happens - and frequently.

I find it easier if confronted about why I don't go to church or someone wanting to start a religious conversation to just say "I'm not religious" rather than saying I'm an atheist - there's something about the word 'atheist" that scares the <<bleep>> out of the bible belt.
I wondered about that, because it is so often complained about by the irreligious (and some others) that denial that it ever happens is a bit...puzzlimg.

When those in Union territory say it never happens, I can believe it. It never happens in the Uk. Never. We just don't care about religion here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,803,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I wondered about that, because it is so often complained about by the irreligious (and some others) that denial that it ever happens is a bit...puzzlimg.

When those in Union territory say it never happens, I can believe it. It never happens in the Uk. Never. We just don't care about religion here.
Well I'm moving to Spain with Rafius or the Uk with you because it's driving me to insanity I can't imagine living some place where the focus actually isn't on god, god, god all the time. What a wonderful world that would be!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Well I'm moving to Spain with Rafius or the Uk with you because it's driving me to insanity I can't imagine living some place where the focus actually isn't on god, god, god all the time. What a wonderful world that would be!
I find it hard to imagine. Anyone here who talked about religion much in general conversation would soon find they had no friends. Not because we are boycotting religion or the religious, but we (and here that is an irreligious majority - it can be done) don't want the believers pushing it in our faces. We are simply Not Interested.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:19 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
In this country we do not discuss religion, or lack of religion as a general rule. I know some of my neighbors are church goers, but no idea what churches they attend.

As a Christian, non church goer, I would not care to hear about your atheism, and I would not try to convince you you are wrong. There are evangelical Christians who are told that their role is to convert you. These people even annoy me, but they are free to do it.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:21 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

What about Northern Ireland? It seemed very weird that they are still divided by religion.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Come and live in Spain girl. Nobody gives a toss here.
Or New Jersey, which is a bit closer. Nobody gives a toss here, either.

It's expensive, though. Espana is probably cheaper.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,874,037 times
Quote:
What do you think Trans. Six months each?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Come and live in Spain girl. Nobody gives a toss here.
you are proof that isn't true.

and I bet you aint the only one.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,018,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you are proof that isn't true.

and I bet you aint the only one.
Good point.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,874,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Good point.
Explain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism