Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Mystic, the problem with tooting one's own horn is that it's hard to tell, without evidence, whether you are displaying the cognitive bias of illusory superiority (see Dunning–Kruger effect) or just a simple lack of modesty.
I guess it's because of this difficulty in reading people that internet forums generally follow the Law of Jante, in particular 'You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
Your pompous not so subtle accusation is far more likely to evidence a Dunning-Kruger effect. I simply witnessed to my life experiences. YOU choose to consider it tooting one's own horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,823 times
The way I see it, the value of intellect comes from its application. Wherever intellect is applied in a most productive, efficient, and helpful to fellow earthlings way - there lies a trophy.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
One thing I've had to try to develop is not to be easily offended, which only proves the person criticizing you is right. After all, if I were completely sure they were wrong, it wouldn't bother me. And I wouldn't feel compelled to defend myself, versus letting the whole thing pass and refusing to engage in pointless arguments.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'd rep you but the program won't let me. The Dunning–Kruger effect scares me, to be frank. Not unrelated to the Imposter Syndrome but sort of the flipside of it. How can you accurately perceive your own intellect, relative to others and realistically? Not an easy task. Degrees, publications, awards, income. It all seems illusory.
This post exposes a significant lack of knowledge of the rigor of mental measurements probably the result of the deliberate denigration of IQ to protect the self-esteem of those of low IQ from discrimination under a PC regime.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 05-23-2019 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,823 times
Oh, Mystic, you are incorrigible

Old 05-23-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This post exposes a significant lack of knowledge of the rigor of mental measurements probably the result of the deliberate denigration of IQ to protect the self-esteem of those of low IQ from discrimination under a PC regime.
I may be mistaken, but intellect is different from IQ. Standardized tests have been discredited to some degree. Emotional and Multiple Intelligences have moved into the conversation. If you're relying on the old paradigm your thinking is outdated.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I may be mistaken, but intellect is different from IQ. Standardized tests have been discredited to some degree. Emotional and Multiple Intelligences have moved into the conversation. If you're relying on the old paradigm your thinking is outdated.
IQ tests have not been discredited because the underlying g-factor is a robust measure of intelligence. The existence of other mental abilities do not in any way detract from the measure of IQ.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:26 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
I think the central issue is that language is an art form: logic, beauty, symmetry, culture, form, shape, evocations. Looking at language through the lens of anti-intellectualism is a sad and pathetic joke, without much humor.

But pretending to be profound based on reading (and perhaps half-understanding) works by better writers, genuine philosophers and creative writers, is also sad. It's okay to start by imitation but in later years, it's not very interesting.

Caveat: depending on where your family is from, where you went to school and a host of other issues, *English* English can strike one as being snotty and superior. Even when it isn't, even when it is not intended to be. You can't avoid these cultural clashes.
Art is subjective, though. Throughout my high school years, I had multiple English instructors trying to impress upon me the idea that Ernest Hemingway was a 'writer for the ages'. I found his writing mediocre relative to the writing of my classmates. He was merely prolific. There are plenty of such cases; in fact every case can be debated.

I would've never said the same about his contemporary George Orwell, though.

(And all these years later I have some respect for Hemingway knowing the rough contours of how he lived and died, an alcoholic atheist who had the courage to pull the trigger)

Old 05-24-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Art is subjective, though. Throughout my high school years, I had multiple English instructors trying to impress upon me the idea that Ernest Hemingway was a 'writer for the ages'. I found his writing mediocre relative to the writing of my classmates. He was merely prolific. There are plenty of such cases; in fact every case can be debated.

I would've never said the same about his contemporary George Orwell, though.

(And all these years later I have some respect for Hemingway knowing the rough contours of how he lived and died, an alcoholic atheist who had the courage to pull the trigger)
I don't have any profound admiration for Hemingway. Lots of other novelists, however: Virginia Woolf, Tolstoy, Joyce, Dostoevsky, Vonnegut, Proust, Henry Miller, Rushdide, Samuel Butler. Lots and lots. Hemingway, not so much appeal.

You wrote "Art is subjective, though." Doesn't that go with saying? Not following, sorry.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
I don't have any profound admiration for Hemingway. Lots of other novelists, however: Virginia Woolf, Tolstoy, Joyce, Dostoevsky, Vonnegut, Proust, Henry Miller, Rushdide, Samuel Butler. Lots and lots. Hemingway, not so much appeal.

You wrote "Art is subjective, though." Doesn't that go with saying? Not following, sorry.
I thought I mistakenly went to the book forum. And now art?
The connection here to atheism ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism