Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:16 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
that doesn't really answer it does it. The guy gave people that don't give the whole truth, but aren't really lying either, the name "obscurist". it fits.

It didn't bother me at first, in fact I didn't care at all. then they start accusing some theist of doing the exact same thing. why is ok for my statement of belief to be doing that? but when another statement of belief about god does it they jump all over it.

then when comparing statements of beliefs about god to come up with a relative validity list, with holding information "so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell" just didn't seem remotely close to the best we can do.

it dawned on me, after a little experiment, that it wasn't the belief driving this behavior, its personality that drives the expression of belief. sick people have sick beliefs. weather god or otherwise.
Then you answered your own question which fits right with the topic of the thread. I didn't answer because I haven't seen the comments about "making atheism harder to sell." If I saw that, then I would be interested. What I have seen is an attempt to recruit especially people who articulate themselves quite well. But I don't put much stock in it.

I do agree with you about personality driving the expression of belief.

Last edited by elyn02; 06-07-2019 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Then you answered your own question which fits right with the topic of the thread. I didn't answer because I haven't seen the comments about "making atheism harder to sell." If I saw that, then I would be interested. What I have seen is an attempt to recruit especially people who articulate themselves quite well. But I don't put much stock in it.

yup,

I should of saved them. I mean it was so clear what they were doing. They were so utterly focused on "evil religious people" that they lost sight. He stopped engaging me as soon as I focused on that tactic and discussing atheism "sales" terms of "obscurantism" and that I felt that is kind of deceitful.

I always believed that when selling a product, we should watch out for the person we are selling to. Always keep in mind that they may be bringing your product into their homes. I am a lousy sales man.

They have changed their tune since then though. I would love for trans to give us the ''"some of us feel that religion is so dangerous ..." speech again. In relation to the our discussion when I told him that stating we are surrounded by life, as apposed to non life is more valid than just saying its "natural".

that speech is shows the diference in our atheism. I am not in that sect of atheism.

maybe Ill go and look a bit ...

yes personality, that is at the root core. why focus on the final product? if a person keeps getting cut, why not address what is actually doing the cutting? it aint the bible?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:21 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call it anything publicly and, in the end, it wouldn't bother me.
What is he on about? I'm aware of Arach's 'Living Universe' mantra and I simply don't care. The ban on discussing science is only when it gets off topic and becomes just a science -discussion. Mordant and I have no say in this.

The 'not one of us' point (if it means anything at all' is rather the other way around - 'New' atheists are 'the wrong kind of atheist'. It is something we hear quite a bit of. Also Arach, because his thinking seems often so damnably poor, becomes an embarrassment to atheism.

Quote:

It's all out of his own head. he's a bugger for taking quotes out of context. I explained about why I (or we) have to make a stand on a 'Creator' even if it isn't really relevant to the religion - debate. We know that the tactic is to wangle anything theism can pin the 'god' label onto into some kind of acceptance, and use that as a springboard to Biblegod (the leap pf Faith). "Springboard" in another term that Arach seized on and was screaming 'Springboard is the mantra of these emotion -driven atheist Fundies'. It doesn't even make any sense.

Trying to explain the tactics behind what is in fact a logically coherent position (the claim of a Creator' has not met its' burden of proof') falls on deaf ears. He doesn't want to understand - only bash.

Actually he is unimportant. I find Kara on Russell far more interesting .

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-08-2019 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 05:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
So your comment about him being cold-blooded motivated me to find the quote. I did so after using the search function more effectively. It was in the thread about the intelligent being abused.

"Affection is not created; it can only be liberated"

This was your reply.

The quote resonated for me and I am not sure I can adequately explain why. I probably need to read it from the beginning to really understand his purpose for stating it but I can apply it outside of his context.
What was the date of this interchange, by the way?

Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
What was the date of this interchange, by the way?
It is dated 12-17-18. Here is the link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...s-general.html

I started reading the link you provided but I have to warn you that non-fiction tends to help me go to sleep. Therefore, it takes me a while to finish.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It is dated 12-17-18. Here is the link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...s-general.html

I started reading the link you provided but I have to warn you that non-fiction tends to help me go to sleep. Therefore, it takes me a while to finish.
Oh, okay; thanks. I remember all that now. Not the first time I've been accused of being negative about men. It's really perfectly justified, but you'd have to have been aware of being on the receiving end of this particular variety of discrimination to have any clue. "Blaming the victim" is a subject of many feminist essays.

I'm the opposite; most (contemporary) fiction bores me.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM

I found this quote from one of his works titled Portraits from Memory. Here is the link https://archive.org/stream/portraits...49mbp_djvu.txt

"Pages" 213 and 214.

Quote:
Take the statement: "Some people marry
their deceased wives' sisters." I can express this in language
which only becomes intelligible after years of study, and this
gives me freedom. I suggest to young professors that their first
work should be written in a jargon only to be understood

by the erudite few. With that behind them, they can ever
after say what they have to say in a language a understanded
of the people."

Mr. Russell doesn't strike me as a person who would stubbornly use the word obscurantism. Sure, if we had a basic education that allowed us to recognize the root word 'obscure' we could then have an idea of its meaning. However, I still rely on context to fully understand the personality behind the use of the word. Is the person being obscure in order to be taken seriously by universities? Is the person being obscure because they don't live according to what they preach? Or do they only want the attention of a certain audience? If a person can understand why somebody is being obscure, I would much prefer that than the actual use of the word.

Going a bit off topic, I am going to quote Mr. Russell from the YouTube video provided in the original post.

Quote:
All human activity is prompted by desire. There is a wholly fallacious theory advanced by some earnest moralists to the effect that it is possible to resist desire in the interest of duty and moral principal. I say this is fallacious not because no man ever acts from a sense of duty but because duty has no hold on him unless he desire to be dutiful.
I like this quote and wanted to comment on it but don't have the time to. I also didn't want to delete it.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I found this quote from one of his works titled Portraits from Memory. Here is the link https://archive.org/stream/portraits...49mbp_djvu.txt

"Pages" 213 and 214.

Mr. Russell doesn't strike me as a person who would stubbornly use the word obscurantism. Sure, if we had a basic education that allowed us to recognize the root word 'obscure' we could then have an idea of its meaning. However, I still rely on context to fully understand the personality behind the use of the word. Is the person being obscure in order to be taken seriously by universities? Is the person being obscure because they don't live according to what they preach? Or do they only want the attention of a certain audience? If a person can understand why somebody is being obscure, I would much prefer that than the actual use of the word.

Going a bit off topic, I am going to quote Mr. Russell from the YouTube video provided in the original post.

I like this quote and wanted to comment on it but don't have the time to. I also didn't want to delete it.
I know you didn't suggest this, but Russell wasn't being disingenuous, manipulative or intentionally obscure. His early education was framed by the Victorian era and he wrote in that language, consistent with his education and family history (he was an Earl). To understand him, you have to put him in that context.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I know you didn't suggest this, but Russell wasn't being disingenuous, manipulative or intentionally obscure. His early education was framed by the Victorian era and he wrote in that language, consistent with his education and family history (he was an Earl). To understand him, you have to put him in that context.
Yes. He was determined to be understood, so I like that about him.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Yes. He was determined to be understood, so I like that about him.
I like him, too. I had read him for many years before hearing a recording of his voice. It was not what I expected, but a voice from another age and culture and very odd, since my experience of hearing Continental English speakers was zero. It's still a bit off-putting, but I was born in Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism