Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:57 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Concrete. Hard. Solid. Things to actually do. I think we should come up with a list of actions and behaviors.

This is not debate points.

Suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Short of killing all the faithful, I don't see how we can "keep religion out of daily life." Before going further, perhaps some definitions, particularly of what is meant by "daily life" would be in order.

I'm for keeping religion out of government, and we have the backing of the first amendment for that. But keeping it out of daily life? How is that different from simply persecuting the religious until they renounce their faith?

I keep it out of my own daily life by not being religious and not attending any religious oriented events. I don't raise it as a subject when talking with people I don't know well. None of my really close friends are believers, so there is no problem there.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:12 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm for keeping religion out of government, and we have the backing of the first amendment for that. But keeping it out of daily life? How is that different from simply persecuting the religious until they renounce their faith?
Now there's a plan! After all, the Christians have made good use of doing that over the last 2000 years. It's certainly worked for them.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
the vid that was posted (maybe I can find it again) said that it wasn't imposition or coercion but education.

what makes us think that it falls to us to educate anyone? Because we have the better case. That's what wining here is about - not Ego or bragging or Flag -waving; just knowing that the Religion case can't stand up to it.

So what we do is keep talking. Wider, on the internet and yet more Atheist TV (I believe there are two channels now) and let people make up their minds.

I don't think it is for us to go into the family. Society has to change and then the family will change, too.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:15 PM

So here's one of mine for the very near future. I'm moving to Phoenix about a month from now, and I'm going to look up local groups that support atheism and join ones I feel comfortable with. In addition to more formal groups, there are also many listed in meetup.com.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Well, if you're trying to keep Religion from being a part of your daily life, I'd suggest limiting your exposure to intentionally debating with Christians online. That would be a start. You seem to spend a great deal of your free time on here, exposing yourself to Christian beliefs on purpose.

Also, maybe an atheist meet up isn't a great idea - again, you'd be spending your time very conscious of religion, which you claim to be trying to avoid, and likely making jeering remarks about those who have faith reminding yourself the whole meet up of the very thing you state you wish to not come in contact with.

I myself don't really care for football. I think interest in it is overblown, and i think it's really, really boring. And UT football colors are ugly, and you really see them everywhere around here.

So as a result I don't spend my free time on football websites, and I wouldn't join an anti football meetup where we all discuss that we don't care for football, and specifically what we dislike about it.

If you're sincerely trying to reduce your exposure to something in your life, OP, you have the oddest way of going about it. A bit like a moth to the flame, if you ask me.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, if you're trying to keep Religion from being a part of your daily life, I'd suggest limiting your exposure to intentionally debating with Christians online. That would be a start. You seem to spend a great deal of your free time on here, exposing yourself to Christian beliefs on purpose.

Also, maybe an atheist meet up isn't a great idea - again, you'd be spending your time very conscious of religion, which you claim to be trying to avoid, and likely making jeering remarks about those who have faith reminding yourself the whole meet up of the very thing you state you wish to not come in contact with.

I myself don't really care for football. I think interest in it is overblown, and i think it's really, really boring. And UT football colors are ugly, and you really see them everywhere around here.

So as a result I don't spend my free time on football websites, and I wouldn't join an anti football meetup where we all discuss that we don't care for football, and specifically what we dislike about it.

If you're sincerely trying to reduce your exposure to something in your life, OP, you have the oddest way of going about it. A bit like a moth to the flame, if you ask me.
Then let me rephrase it: keep it out of daily American life.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then let me rephrase it: keep it out of daily American life.
I guess what other people do isn't really under your control. For example, I wish I could walk into HEB on football game days and not see all that burnt orange all over the place.

But really, it's not my business how others choose to run their lives, is it?

It seems really very controlling that you want to keep any mention of Christianity out of the county, but you spend really a GREAT deal of your time purposely placing yourself in the company of very vocal Christians.

Kind of odd, that.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I guess what other people do isn't really under your control. For example, I wish I could walk into HEB on football game days and not see all that burnt orange all over the place.

But really, it's not my business how others choose to run their lives, is it?

It seems really very controlling that you want to keep any mention of Christianity out of the county, but you spend really a GREAT deal of your time purposely placing yourself in the company of very vocal Christians.

Kind of odd, that.
Oh my...you're comparing the importance of football colors to religion?

Well, through your preaching here, you seem to be suggesting to others how they should live their lives.

You're free to worship in your home. You're free to worship in your church. No problem with any of that.

And here you are in the atheism/agnosticism part of the forum.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh my...you're comparing the importance of football colors to religion?

Well, through your preaching here, you seem to be suggesting to others how they should live their lives.

You're free to worship in your home. You're free to worship in your church. No problem with any of that.

And here you are in the atheism/agnosticism part of the forum.
I'm free to worship on the street corner, and in the mall, also.

And I'm not the one saying please, please spare me from frank discussions about religion, and spare me atheists.

You are the one who, seemingly, doesn't appear to understand that much of your contact with the religious is your own purposeful doing.

If you would like not to be reminded that there are Christians in the world, and in the country, maybe best to not put yourself in our near constant presence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism