Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:50 AM

50,782 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

This is a charge that is made weekly, if not almost daily, by some christian and even a warped atheist. So for the rest of us atheists, is that your goal -- to "stop" or "end" religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:18 PM

86 posts, read 65,781 times
No.

Nor do I want religion to end or stop of its own volition.

But I wouldn't miss fundamentalist or socially backward (anti-science, racist, anti-gay, etc.) religion if it went away.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:33 PM

15,863 posts, read 6,317,575 times
I seem to have the same problem with religion that many other theists with my worldview have. I have no desire to see belief in God end even if I had the power to do so. I would like to see harmful and anti-social uses for God end.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:40 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Not in the least, no.
Pre covid I traveled to Europe every year and made a point of visiting the local Cathedrals wherever I go. It's a big part of human history. I've developed an appreciation of medieval art. Pretty fascinating to me.
Also religion plays a big role in many people's lives. It brings them comfort. It's not for us to spoil any of that.
Your thread is futile though Phet because it doesn't matter what we say. People who have set ideas and negativity about atheism will disregard anything you tell them and say you are not telling the truth and tell you they know what you think better than you do. It's the same on every thread.
I can predict the responses to my post here already.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:56 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times
"My" goal? No. I learned long ago that the religious cannot be talked out of their beliefs. I wouldn't waste my time trying.

I do think the human race would do far better without religion, but I'm of the opinion humans will be extinct before that happens.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:16 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
No, not END religion. Only educate people as to the sometimes harmful effects of it.

Religion is NOT harmful in all cases.
But there are more than enough documented cases to demonstrate that religion CAN in fact harm innocent people.

I would like for people to be able to see the facts, which religion often does not want to present but need to be shown.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:30 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
No, not END religion. Only educate people as to the sometimes harmful effects of it.

But there are more than enough documented cases to demonstrate that religion CAN in fact harm innocent people.

I would like for people to be able to see the facts, which religion often does not want to present but need to be shown.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:35 PM

270 posts, read 193,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermorvan View Post
No.

Nor do I want religion to end or stop of its own volition.

But I wouldn't miss fundamentalist or socially backward (anti-science, racist, anti-gay, etc.) religion if it went away.
Yes, when God is used as a tool for human social control. Even so, forcing religious based teachings on non practicing individuals. Some religions might reward human killings, and war. This I would like to suppress.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:25 PM

50,782 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Not in the least, no.
Pre covid I traveled to Europe every year and made a point of visiting the local Cathedrals wherever I go. It's a big part of human history. I've developed an appreciation of medieval art. Pretty fascinating to me.
Also religion plays a big role in many people's lives. It brings them comfort. It's not for us to spoil any of that.
Your thread is futile though Phet because it doesn't matter what we say. People who have set ideas and negativity about atheism will disregard anything you tell them and say you are not telling the truth and tell you they know what you think better than you do. It's the same on every thread.
I can predict the responses to my post here already.
You're right, of course. But I still think we need to express a more accurate position than those who place one on us.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:43 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Always trust a cat for the best answer...

We're just trying to keep history from repeating itself Phet. No "round two" of the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials, etc...

We don't want to STOP religion Phet, we want to stop the world and melt with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism