Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 02:12 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah he doesn't get it and probably never will. He has to come on a thread like this and split hairs and make corrections. Can't help himself I guess. Can't stand the thought that someone could in any way shape or form be "good without god". Offends his sense of decorum, and of course, his sense right[eous]ness. So he actually has to try to deny me any peace or comfort I've found from something that doesn't emanate from his belief-system. Fortunately, that's not within his powers, rant though he might.

Pathetic as that is, it's at least slightly less hectoring and unreasonable than some of the authoritarian types on these fora.
It's sad that both of you have buried a wife early and now you are in a scary situation and he can't muster the tiniest amount of empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 03:04 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Mordant, I've always liked your common sense posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Just as a practical tip, make sure she has a small firm pillow to hold under her abdomen after surgery. The first sneeze or cough will feel like the rest of her insides are falling out without it. BTDT.
BTDT, I approve of Bugalove's post! Your wife's pain might seem scary at first, but only its only terrible for a couple of days. It does get better faster than you'll believe! The hospital will get her walking with 24 hours of surgery.

Best regards and best wishes! Hang in there! We are all rooting for your wife!

Old 02-15-2024, 03:38 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
A compression wrap is harder to do if the doctor goes with the "bikini" (so-called) incision under the abdomen, especially if there's excess tissue above (belly flap).
We're told this will be a vertical incision down the middle.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:40 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Mordant, I've always liked your common sense posts.

BTDT, I approve of Bugalove's post! Your wife's pain might seem scary at first, but only its only terrible for a couple of days. It does get better faster than you'll believe! The hospital will get her walking with 24 hours of surgery.
My wife is pretty tough that way. After her first knee replacement she was using a walker less than 2 hours post op. "When you gotta go, you gotta go", lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Best regards and best wishes! Hang in there! We are all rooting for your wife!
Thanks, I appreciate the support :-)

Old 02-15-2024, 07:44 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darbo View Post
Someone suggested that the loss of a young child would challenge my theism. No, it absolutely would not. Yes, it would be a great tragedy from the human perspective, but it would be no more inconsistent with my Christian beliefs than was the death of my wife at age 54. I have seen the death of a small child have tremendously beneficial ripples, and I believe a death at age two or three is inconsequential in the context of eternity if it furthers God's plan. To suggest it should challenge my theism is what I described as a parochial perspective - an inability to view the situation as anything other than "a child who might have lived to be 100 died of a terrible illness at age two" and "the parents are now devastated." That's an understandable perspective, but it's an entirely finite human one. In the context of an eternal divine plan, the benefits may far outweigh the immediate tragedy. No, I don't pretend to be able to neatly connect the dots or read the mind of God, but human suffering and death are not defeaters (a philosophical term) for my theism.

I merely skimmed the responses to my post, but they are in the main entirely predictable. They have little or nothing to do with what I actually said but are the expected knee-jerk responses to a Christian such as myself and to pretty much any post reflecting a theistic perspective.

Perhaps if you hadn't merely skimmed them, you might have actually understood them.
I assume I'm the 'someone' who apparently suggested that the death of a young child might challenge your theism. I never suggested any such thing.
Here's what I said:
Quote:
Very young kids get cancer too, live no real quality of life, in pain, and die at a young age. I have no idea how a belief in god in these cases is 'comforting'. There's more clarity in the assumption that cancer has nothing to do with god, it's just biology and cells gone wrong.
I have no doubt that your faith remains intact when faced with awkward questions. I was saying that I have no idea how faith in god in these cases is comforting. Christians always find some convoluted way to justify pain and death in kids which just amounts to 'it's all part of gods plan', which isn't any explanation at all.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As you and most others here know, I lost my partner/fiancé a bit less than a year ago. This way of thinking did a great deal toward helping me get through his long degenerative illness and thankfully quiet death. It is indeed biology, a condition of our humanity. Our bodies can go terribly haywire without warning, and there is no rhyme or reason for it.

All we can do is continue to love them, and then we are left to manage our emotional pain, another part of our humanity.
I do know MQ. The same way of thinking has helped me a great deal too. X

Old 02-15-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darbo View Post
You, Bungalove, are insightful indeed! Really!

I have decided to eschew all further particpation on the forums - or at least 98.7% of my previous participation, anyway - and devote my dubious talents to a C-D blog. I just started it this morning! Voila, O'Darbo's O'Bloggo lives!

As I said to myself, "Let's face it, O'Darbo or whoever you are, you write mostly for your own amusement anyway and regard most of the participants here as unworthy. So do yourself and them a favor and mentally masturbate in the privacy of obscure blogdom." You apparently read my mind and should immediately be tested for psychic ability by the Rhine Institute.

Be sure to peek in at O'Darbo's O'Bloggo from time to time. You'll hate it!
You crack me up 'O'Darbo' or whoever you are this time. We know, and you know, that you can't stay away. How many times have you returned, taken umbrage at something or someone, thrown around insults, and then left again, at the same time threatening once more never to return? And yet you always do. And you claim that we are the predictable ones. Either stay and chat, or go.
Although, I'll admit, this popping up every so often under yet another pseudonym has it's own entertainment value.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:18 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Oh, Mordant this soooo sucks. Thankfully you now finally have a more clear diagnosis.
You have been through this way too many times now — the only positive is the strong coping and caregiving skills you’ must have surely developed.

I’m so hoping this doesn’t turn to end-of-life options, but if it does - do you know about Switzerland and BELGIUM and their very compassionate aid in dying programs? You don’t even need to be terminal.
I don’t know if you live in a state with MAID availability— but if not, both Oregon and Vermont are now taking out-of-state people with a six month terminal diagnosis. I wouldn’t normally post this, but I suspect you and your wife are open to at least assessing all possible future options.
Sending ❤️

Old 02-16-2024, 11:44 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You crack me up 'O'Darbo' or whoever you are this time. We know, and you know, that you can't stay away. How many times have you returned, taken umbrage at something or someone, thrown around insults, and then left again, at the same time threatening once more never to return? And yet you always do. And you claim that we are the predictable ones. Either stay and chat, or go.
Although, I'll admit, this popping up every so often under yet another pseudonym has it's own entertainment value.
Please do not encourage him to stay and chat...what he did in crafting his initial post in this thread, which was to substitute an 'atheist strawman' in place of mordant because he couldn't be bothered to actually put in the effort to figure out mordant's precise beliefs, is all he ever does. He argues against caricatures of his own creation rather than individuals, then accuses us of the same.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:50 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Oh, Mordant this soooo sucks. Thankfully you now finally have a more clear diagnosis.
You have been through this way too many times now — the only positive is the strong coping and caregiving skills you’ must have surely developed.

I’m so hoping this doesn’t turn to end-of-life options, but if it does - do you know about Switzerland and BELGIUM and their very compassionate aid in dying programs? You don’t even need to be terminal.
I don’t know if you live in a state with MAID availability— but if not, both Oregon and Vermont are now taking out-of-state people with a six month terminal diagnosis. I wouldn’t normally post this, but I suspect you and your wife are open to at least assessing all possible future options.
Sending ❤️
Oregon has the best state-level laws in the country IMO. Oh, sorry, politics. But they've been way ahead of the curve with regards to euthanasia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism