Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times

Advertisements

Interesting, Chiel..I don't really know if my brother is agnostic or atheist..One of my brothers was not raised with us..He is Catholic, but I don't know if he goes to mass..Both my sisters talk like they are believers, so I assume they are.. We just seem to think it is a personal matter on my side of the family..My h family is the opposite The first thing out of their mouth is "Are you a good christian?"If you don't attend the church they belong to they will preach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
blue, that must make it rough.
I really don't know what most of the people in my real life believe, or not.
I think it's funny that it's such a focus here on CD.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I think a lot of the christians/believers here are much like you and the other atheists..They probably just don't discuss their belief or non beliefs as much in the real world..I don't discuss my beliefs in the rw unless asked, then I find it in my best interest to keep it down to a few sentences.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,029 times
I don't know how my mother would react if I told her i don't believe magic Jesus will come down off the cross and anoint us with his magic basket of fish or whatever, but I think she'd be very disappointed so I just play along with all the simpletons in our family.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
No I'm afraid I am always open about my Atheism and I refuse to accept that anyone who is reasonable could be offended by my lack of faith. Puzzled or even saddened perhaps but nobody should find it offensive so why should I pretend ?

I am proud of my Atheism and feel I have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. If people have a problem with it , it is theirs not mine.

As long as you remain civil and do not preach either way I do not see how someone could have a problem with it.

I see it as a duty in way to be "out" regarding my Atheism. It means we become more visible and fundies have to start realising that actually we are no longer a small minority and that they better learn how to deal with it.

I find the vast majority of believers very reasonable about it and have had very few problems anywhere around the world ( Including Islamic countries) apart from of course the Deep South where reason and logic often seem as likely as little fairies down the bottom of my garden....

I am perfectly comfortable with my Atheism and have always been out of the closet. I have no intention of hiding my philosophy simply because some people might be too sensitive to take it.

Christians have to learn that we do not all follow the same tune and that some of us are perfectly fine without their god.

Trying to spare people's sensibilities to me just seems silly and goes against everything I believe in. As long as you are polite and friendly and do not offend I think anyone should be able to take the terrible news standing up !

Pandering to people's prejudices just seems rather counter-productive to me and means we never advance in terms of social "acceptance". Christians are not little dainty, fragile flowers to be shielded from the winds of truth. They can take it. Old or young.

Atheist and proud of it. Deal with it or else !

Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I always voice my mind, not doing so would make me a hypocrite.
So when it comes to my opinion I’m a rebel with a cause.
Whether others appreciate this is not my concern.
The thing is that I'm not sure if I'm an atheist or not.
Not that I care anywayz.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:11 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think a lot of the christians/believers here are much like you and the other atheists..They probably just don't discuss their belief or non beliefs as much in the real world..I don't discuss my beliefs in the rw unless asked, then I find it in my best interest to keep it down to a few sentences.
I agree with this 100%. I never even bring up the fact that I'm an atheist and most people I meet never mention what they believe/don't believe, so I never know what they follow. Then again, I live in the Midwest. The south is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism