Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times

Advertisements

While reading in the religion and philosopy section, I couldn't help but notice the way logic was being used by some of the religious believers.
It reminded me of this clip.

YouTube - monty python-witch scene
Have fun watching it.
Cheers,
Aeroman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
The thing is that nearly all people act logical.
The only people who do not act according to some form of logic are lunatics. These people's action are completely random and unpredictable.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 AM

I do admit that I practice some things that seem to go against logic.
In fact just a few months ago I was reading something about that group that does not go to doctors but feel there faith in god is all they need. I must have said something to my wife about that being kind of silly. Well, she put me in my place and said. “But you believe that your mind can heal you.”
I felt kinda sheepish after she said that.
I do feel my mind can heal my body. I have taken many classes in medical hypnosis and have seen and done some of the seemingly illogical results. In fact somewhere I remember reading about an experiment that was being done with some kid that had cancer and they were using mental images to help the body fight off the cancer.
And of course as some of you know I do meditate, and not just watching my breath.
Sometimes I blend meditation and hypnosis techniques together. They are very similar with some of the more advanced meditation styles.
So , even though I post things like the “logic” of believers, Yes, I do some things that seem illogical.
But that’s the way I am.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM

428 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I do admit that I practice some things that seem to go against logic.
In fact just a few months ago I was reading something about that group that does not go to doctors but feel there faith in god is all they need. I must have said something to my wife about that being kind of silly. Well, she put me in my place and said. “But you believe that your mind can heal you.”
I felt kinda sheepish after she said that.
I do feel my mind can heal my body. I have taken many classes in medical hypnosis and have seen and done some of the seemingly illogical results. In fact somewhere I remember reading about an experiment that was being done with some kid that had cancer and they were using mental images to help the body fight off the cancer.
And of course as some of you know I do meditate, and not just watching my breath.
Sometimes I blend meditation and hypnosis techniques together. They are very similar with some of the more advanced meditation styles.
So , even though I post things like the “logic” of believers, Yes, I do some things that seem illogical.
But that’s the way I am.

Cheers,
Aeroman
Well, there is a difference between believing the mind can affect the immune system or influence healing in other ways. It certainly can! But it reaches the point of being illogical if you choose to die of a strep infection when a shot of penicillin could cure you.

True, doctors have only so much capability (but they do have some ), and hypnosis, meditation and plain old optimism are good adjuncts to standard medical care. However, if you get skin cancer, get it removed, and then add some psychic reinforcement.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Aeroman, since I float in water and weigh as much as a duck, I must be a witch. I get it. The christian zealots take me to their pastor scream and yell that I'm a sinner. And if I profess that I am saved and have Jesus as my lord nd personal saviour, I will not get burned at the stake and I will not burn in hell. Sounds like the Spanish Inquisition! I better not ask for my gay rights. I'll just hide under my rainbow rock and cower in fear.

p.s. My favorite line in that movie..."Bring Out Your Dead!"

Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
"I'm not dead yet...!" is another great line and I have it on a tee-shirt from Spamalot!

What is logical to one person may not seem logical to another. That's one of the big rifts between believers and non-believers. What evolutionists find totally logical, many xians say is ridiculous. So...it depends on your perspective, perhaps.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Well the world doesn't care if you are logical or not. Jumping off a plane without a parachute won't change the fact that we can describe the physical world around us with mathematical equations, the only problem is that if enough people acted that way then it would impede advances in technology

Old 07-01-2008, 02:24 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,414 times
Religious logic? Sounds like military intelligence. What's the word for that... oh yea, oxymoron.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
monty python is very good i love it. but witch cult and christianity are not the same.
being kind and living peaceably with others is good business practice also practiced by many other non christian faiths.
(not to mention many agnostics)

happy 4th july
have a rose

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
monty python is very good i love it. but witch cult and christianity are not the same.
being kind and living peaceably with others is good business practice also practiced by many other non christian faiths.
(not to mention many agnostics)
So you think Christians can live peacefully next to Wicca’s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism