Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times

Advertisements

We all agree that we don't believe there's a God or in the case of agnostics they're just not sure if there's a God but what about claims of unexplained abilities or phenomenon that are not based on a religious beliefs like telepathy, the ability to see the future, the ability to move physical objects with your mind or any other ability which we could describe as supernatural because it defies the laws of physics or at least physics as we understand it? For myself, I don't believe in any of it and I think it's complete nonsense. I would think that if any form of extra sensory perception had any basis in reality that it would have been proven by now. There have been serious studies and testing involving large numbers of individuals by people who were credible and had scientific credentials and no one has come up with anything so far and this has been going on for decades. The reason I'm bringing this up as a topic is because we have a long way to go before we really get a handle on physics and there are serious minded people who think it's possible that there may be explanations for events that might appear to be supernatural but in fact are based on phenomenon in physics that we don't yet understand. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 04:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
Nope I don't believe in ESP, but have no problem trusting my intuition (aka gut feeling or instinct).
I wish I had ESP powers though; I would then have become the 1st real live superhero!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,266,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The reason I'm bringing this up as a topic is because we have a long way to go before we really get a handle on physics and there are serious minded people who think it's possible that there may be explanations for events that might appear to be supernatural but in fact are based on phenomenon in physics that we don't yet understand. Any thoughts?
I keep my mind open on the question but the complete lack of any verification that any of this supernatural stuff ever happens outside of an individual's imagination doesn't lend any credence to it. So far, every single one of these supernatural events or abilities has failed to stand up to any scrutiny.

So, no I don't believe in it. It is possible that more will be discovered in the future, but so far, nada.

I think of all the phenomena that might have a physical explanation is the Deja vu thing. It is possible (I didn't say probable) that the weirder time aspects or additional dimensions or universes postulated fromt he mathematical calculations could be the source of these - some people could be getting glimpses thru these mechanisms.

Or not...

Old 07-05-2008, 04:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
Nah... When it comes to things such as that I'm a skeptic of it all. ESP, Aliens, telekenesis (something I really wish I had), and so on and so forth are all not worth investing your time in if there's no real evidence for it. You'd think that the people with ESP would all be multi-billionaires from winning the lottery so often.

As Tricky mentioned, I do believe in following your gut instinct though. That's about as close as I think we get to any of that stuff.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,763 times
I do believe in dejavu's. I don't know. I just get them so often sometimes that it annoys me, the problem is that it comes and goes instantaneously so in all practical purposes it's useless.

As far as After-life, ESP, Alien abductions, Telekinesis, magic, Astral projection and ghosts, I don't believe it and it's one of the reasons I don't even watch Discovery anymore.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,037 times
I believe that we still don't know many things about our minds, and that there are many things that might be there waiting for us to develop them.

I don't know what are your thoughts on this, but there's a phenomenon i've experienced that is thought transfer, it is not telepathy per se but when you are giving a lecture, or speaking to someone, sometimes your ideas are being transfered directly, not just by your body language or your words, but also your thoughts, the images you are having on your mind are being received by the other person as well, specially if there is strong eye contact.

other times that when I'm making music, if there is another person with me, my tracks are influenced by that, even if that person is not making any comment, any rational explanation?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:13 PM

428 posts, read 1,631,581 times
If memory serves (), deja vu is most likely caused by a phenomenon in the brain (temporal lobe), in which specific neural firing imbues the experience with the weird sense of having been there before.

Rupert Sheldrake is a British scientist who has ventured into paranormal stuff and postulated "morphic fields" as explanations for presumed ESP events. He says these fields are formed by multiple similar events happening over time, and they can transmit information from one individual to another. He explains seemingly uncanny instinctive animal behavior this way.

Aside from the idea of fields in terms of energy, particle physics and principles of self-organization (Higgs!) I can't say I give any credence to Sheldrake's oddball theories. Whether collective memories exist in species is arguable, and is more likely due to genetic hardwiring rather than any sort of transmission through the ether.

Fields per se undoubtedly exist--look at what a magnet does to metal filings. But do any sort of fields transmit information in the way of ESP or telekinesis? There is no evidence whatsoever that they do. Our nervous systems can do a lot of amazing things--being able to transmit information through writing this post is pretty darn whiz-bang, as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm easily impressed ). But we have to admit, the human nervous system has its limits.

Intuition is something that seems extrasensory, but it's probably the synergistic action of "normal" mind function when that person knows great deal about the subject of the "intuitive event". (Read "Blink" by Gladwell).

Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,631,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
other times that when I'm making music, if there is another person with me, my tracks are influenced by that, even if that person is not making any comment, any rational explanation?
How do you know, if they don't make any comment? If they are using nonverbal communication, like body movements or facial expressions, you could certainly respond to that without postulating ESP.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
Originally Posted by Travelling fella
Quote:
In my opinion it is just the creative process, when you get in the flow of things and you forget all about the ego.
So it is more fusion (= no ego of the individual participants) than ESP.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
How do you know, if they don't make any comment? If they are using nonverbal communication, like body movements or facial expressions, you could certainly respond to that without postulating ESP.
well, sometimes I have friends that are just here, sitting on the other side on the room using the computer, but just by having them around my music changes, it is funny.

also for example, there is people I have a lot of connection with, specially friends who meditate together with me, or my ex gf, usually they call me at the same moment I was about to call them, or we say exactly the same thing at the same time, or i say something and the other person tells me, I was thinking exactly the same thing!

I think we all have experienced this kind of experience, although I've noticed that with people who are spiritually sensitive this phenomena is more frequent, and even more if it's people who share a close bond with you.

This usually works only when both persons are in a relaxed state, not distracted by stress, wandering thoughts, etc.

Also, when I'm doing meditation, there is a point where you are able to succesfully turn off the senses, when you get into this stage even strong stimuli aren't able to cause distraction, because they aren't felt, this is because the energy that is usually channeled through the nerves has been concentrated in the spinal cord and channeled to the medulla (the point between the eyebrows) in these states of deep meditation, melodies, rythms and all sorts of ideas just come, and I know I'm not the one generating them, it is more like if they were being revealed to me, any rational explanation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism