Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by esselcue I don't think animals have ESP.
The reason why a dog's sense of smell is superior to that of a human is because he is designed that way.
I'm sure that if a dog had the same sense of smell as a human he would be considered handicapped by the other dogs.
I have to agree. I think a lot of people underestimate the power of a dog's nose. I've read a lot of stories where a family stopped at a rest stop only to have their dog run away. They couldn't wait forever so they just left the dog thinking he was lost. A couple of weeks later, the dog shows up at their house. Realizing that some dogs can smell the simple trail of a human being sometimes weeks after they've been in some place, I don't think it's entirely implausible for a dog to distinguish the scent of humans riding in a car, or for that matter, perhaps even the exhaust trail of a car on a highway.

Considering that many dogs can detect the difference (with their noses) between one molecule of odor; I don't think that this is at all unlikely and has a completely Darwinian explanation.

Many times, when I go to my parents house and bring my dog, he usually just sleeps. However, asleep or not, the second I pull into their neighborhood his head perks up and he gets very excited. Perhaps he's very directionally oriented - which is a possibility - but I think he recognizes the scent of something particular since he perks his head up at the same location every time.

Let's also not forget that while dogs have one ultra sensitive sense in that of smell, their eyes and ears are not as powerful. Therefore, they rely very heavily on their sense of smell as well as their hearing abilities which are quite good indeed but not equivalent to their sense of smell. In essence, they have less to confuse themselves over while our brains are more well adapted to follow our intuition of five relatively equivalent senses. This is very noticeable in blind humans who have developed echolocation such as using clicking noises to determine where walls, curbs, and other obstacles exist in their path.

As far as extra dimensions are concerned, extra dimensions do not necessarily mean parallel universes - although Neil Turok did an interesting examination into how brane theory could explain the origins of this universe. Rather, extra dimensions imply a universe that is made up of particles and matter beyond our observational viewpoint. If you were to look at an ant crawling on a high tension wire from a distance, it would not look like a three dimensional observation. Indeed, from a distance, it might look like a two dimensional viewpoint because from a distance we do not notice the depth of the ant or the high tension wire. However, the closer we get, we realize that both the high tension wire and the ant are three-dimensional but if we examine the high tension wire further, we realize that it is wound up with multiple "strands" of wire as well. While it looks three-dimensional on the surface, there are many different strands making it up to begin with that elude our perception until we get quite close indeed.

What is fascinating about String Theory is that it becomes the grand unification theory that Einstein so hoped to tie everything together with. We find that in the mathematical center of black holes and highly dense "singularities" (such as before the Big Bang) that the four forces of our universe - gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces break down. Because gravity is so much weaker than these other three forces we are unable to put it within a singularity such as a black hole. So, it is the hope of String Theory and the Large Hadron Collider (which will be firing up shortly) to capture a "graviton" - a messenger particle similar to an electron or photon - escaping our three-dimensional universe. This would explain with wonderful clarity why gravity is so much "weaker". In essence, it should be just as powerful as the other three forces, but if some of it is escaping into other dimensions we might be prone to say that it is just as powerful within a singularity - but unobservable on a more Newtonian expanded scale.

Where multiverses come into play is more or less outside of our universe - although some have suggested within brane theory that these universes could indeed be elements within our own universe right in front of our face but undetectable. Simple multiverse theory just says that if our universe began that other universes may have begun as well. There could be other universes with different physical constants, different Big Bang orientations, different outcomes, and perhaps even different lifeforms. It is somewhat similar to suggesting that because life on this planet started, why couldn't life on other planets start given the sheer number of planets? What is fascinating about multiverses is that we cannot define - except within infinity - how many possible multiverses there might be. Therefore, it almost becomes tangible within a mathematical and Aristotlean viewpoint to think that there could be an almost infinite amount of multiverses with not only different laws of physics but the exact same laws of physics that spawned, get this, very similar if not exact Earth's with the same exact events.

Max Tegmark has proposed four different types of multiverses. Type I, Type II, Type III, and Type IV. Some of them deal with brane theory and the extra string dimensions - the possibility that these extra universes exist right in front of our face but are not seen - as well as the simple thought that other multiverses outside of this universe are a possibility within mathematics as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,647,817 times
I don't believe animals have esp either, but their senses are highly evolved in certain areas such as the dog's ability to follow a scent. Here's a very strange link I happened upon while reading about how homing pigeons navigate. They have been studied in England and it's been shown that they actually follow highways which is a little unexpected.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,715,966 times
My disbelief in deities has not canceled out the fact that I saw some VERY strange things as a child, experienced as much and have had unexplainable connections to a few people.

I don't chalk it up to any higher power other than what we ourselves might possess. Make sense?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,481,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
My disbelief in deities has not canceled out the fact that I saw some VERY strange things as a child, experienced as much and have had unexplainable connections to a few people.

I don't chalk it up to any higher power other than what we ourselves might possess. Make sense?
That does make sense and I wish I had the opportunity to experience the same thing but as of yet, I have not. I have an open mind that alot of things are posible. My believe is that the human mind is extremely limited in comparison to the universe. There have got to be alot of things that we simply can't comprehend or even dream of. I just can't accept things on another persons word, I need to see it demonstrated.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM

485 posts, read 1,955,754 times
Consult HP Lovecraft!

He was a lifelong atheist, but he invented a whole system, based on (weird) science that explains supernatural events.

Some have said that the world will end when we finally understand the Mind of God.

God asks us to have faith in Him.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Ryn

48 posts, read 96,482 times
I think overall the supernatural is modern day magic without the latin based mumbo-jumbo. Actually, it's only recently that the "supernatural" is somehow outside of nature -- thank you Enlightment period trying to make everything imperical. So now we don't have magical words, just magical people. As we grow and learn as a race much of the currently unexplainable will eventually become explainable. And although those explainations may change overtime that's the nature of our world. Such as, molecules used to be the smallest object until we discovered the atom and now the atom isn't even the smallest object.

I'm not implying there's anything wrong with the supernatural or magic. In fact, I'd hate to live in a world without the wonderment of magic. It'd mean we have everything figured out.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,255,238 times
Originally Posted by Ryn
Quote:
It'd mean we have everything figured out.
Wasn't it also during the period of enlightenment that scientists believed that the universe held no more secrets for us humans?
That man in his hubris believed to have had discovered everything that there was to discover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism