Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times

Advertisements

They say we only use a very small percentage of our brains..Who knows what the next couple of hundred thousand years will evolve from the percentage we don't use now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
They say we only use a very small percentage of our brains..Who knows what the next couple of hundred thousand years will evolve from the percentage we don't use now
Not so much anymore. They used to say this but now believe we really do use most of our brains. It turns out that a lot of brain power is needed just to run our bodies. Better research has been showing that parts they thought weren't being used actually are.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
I dont see any problems with the thought of ESP, telekenisis, etc. Though it's unlikely. The fact is according to superstring theory (which hasn't been proven), there are supposed to be 10 dimensions, of which we can only noticed 4... thus there are in my mind other dimensions which it is possible (though very very very unlikely) to communicate and do other stuff through.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:33 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
True...When I was a kid we owned a collie who regularly got lost a block from the house. (I've heard he's been reincarnated as George W. Bush. )
I laughed out loud at that one!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Some of these responses are interesting. A hard-core atheist would reject all of it, but I think that it is all a possibility. ESP, telekinesis, aliens and other paranormal activity does not prove, nor have anything to do with the existence of god(s) or heaven and hell. Ghosts may or may not prove an existence after this one, depending on your point of view and look at how many Christians do not believe in ghosts (possession, probably), aliens, ESP, etc. and they are some of the worlds largest believers in the supernatural.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I dont see any problems with the thought of ESP, telekenisis, etc. Though it's unlikely. The fact is according to superstring theory (which hasn't been proven), there are supposed to be 10 dimensions, of which we can only noticed 4... thus there are in my mind other dimensions which it is possible (though very very very unlikely) to communicate and do other stuff through.
I think that it is now excepted that there are eleven dimensions, and the fourth (time) is not experienced by humans unless you have the ability to manipulate it. The notion of time as we all know it is a human concept and not something that we actually experience.

The other dimensions is an interesting concept and if they actually do exists, they open up the doors for levels of perception and experience that none of us can truly imagine.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
I agree, but when you are close to someone, you know how they often think and feel, as well as what they may be doing at a particular time--so you have more chance of being right when you get an intuition.
This is very true, my guru says that for intuition to develop, you have to be able to control your senses, think of it as cable tv, where you have 2 channels, one is the sensory channel, when you tune to it, intuition is turned off, because your attention is focused on the entretainment offered by the sensory channel, but when your senses are controlled and the attention you give to them is reduced, intuition is then turned on, this is the reason IMO intuition could be considered some sort of ESP.

Quote:
If you go with the idea that consciousness is everywhere, and you lose your sense of self by meditating, you may shed self-consciousness and inhibitions to the point of allowing creativity to flower. The energy is universal, but it is you who are manifesting it in the creation of melodies and other ideas.
Yes this is true, but who am I? am I the limited ego, or the trascendental soul? when you shed self-consciousness and inhibitions (ego) your soul and it's perception instruments (wisdom, intuition) start to manifest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Travelling fella The creative process (aka being in the zone) is all about letting the ego go and all about intuition (= intuitive action); it is about (re)acting without conscious thought.
Exactly, this is the reason hindu scriptures speak of 3 bodies, and 3 dimensions where we hinhabit simultaneously.

In the highest dimension, the ideational plane, the home of the soul or causal ego everything is perceived by pure intuition, when the soul is channeled to the energy plane, it then becomes astral ego which relies on discernment as it's tool of perception, and when that ego is identified with the physical body and the senses it becomes the blind-whim led mind which uses the limited senses as it's instrument of perception.

Something interested that I've perceived by my experience is that when you are performing for a group of people, you become a transmiter of energy, thoughts and emotions, whatever you are feeling, willing and thinking at that moment is received by the people who is listening you, and you are also receiving and channeling their energy, this has been surprising to me because when the performance ends and people goes to greet you, some have commented about what my performance made them think or feel, and it is exactly the same I was thinking or feeling at that time.

I believe that quantum physics and other disciplines, will evolve to the point to give us a rational explanation of this phenomena, after all most of us agree on the possibility of more dimensions, and we all know that energy can be transformed and channeled, this knowledge has made possible things like radar, radiotelescopes, wireless internet, bluetooth, etc, so I believe that our bodies can also act like antennas, however our transmitters are usually broken by the interference of restlesness and perturbations that are product of the whirpool of our thoughts, it is only when we learn to master the mind that we can fix that transmitter and tune in.

Regards!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:49 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I do think it's interesting to note the specialized senses that different animals have that is far more developed than it is in human beings. We are limited to what we perceive by our senses. Our sight contains just a portion of the light spectrum, our hearing also has certain limitations and so does our sense of smell. For example the ability of the homing pigeon to find its way back to it's home are extrordinary and not understood. And consider the case of house pets like cats and dogs who've accidentally gotten lost while a family is on vacation and somehow walked from some unknown location hundreds of miles to their homes. This has happened many times. I'm not suggesting that this is some kind of telepathy but no one seems to be able to explain how they can do it. They obviously can't read road maps or signs on the highway. Of course there's nothing magic going on but it does make you wonder how we would perceive the world is we had the advanced sensory abilities of many animals.
I was thinking this before I read what you wrote! If Animals can have such obvious "powers", why can't humans? Personally I think it has something to do with energy...our brains are just about pure energy and there is no reason for me to think that we can't "control" thoughts and such with that energy. I have had some amazing moments of deja vu in my life, and a few really weird experiences that some might refer to as psychic. Not sure what it's all about but I am sure that those moments are real. Maybe it's true that we live among parallel universes? Maybe our DNA does carry memory genes. This is why I love science and the process of questions and learning.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by esselcue
Quote:
If Animals can have such obvious "powers", why can't humans?
I don't think animals have ESP.
The reason why a dog's sense of smell is superior to that of a human is because he is designed that way.
I'm sure that if a dog had the same sense of smell as a human he would be considered handicapped by the other dogs.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I would have to see proof to believe it, thats my general response to MOST things. ESP, talking to the dead, aliens from outer space, I need to see it to believe it.

I've never seen it so I can't say I believe in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism