Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,456,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Travelling fella In my opinion it is just the creative process, when you get in the flow of things and you forget all about the ego.
So it is more fusion (= no ego of the individual participants) than ESP.
this explanation seems pretty rational, maybe if we were able to deattach ourselves from our egoes, ESP would be much more common
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 07:34 PM

428 posts, read 1,633,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I think we all have experienced this kind of experience, although I've noticed that with people who are spiritually sensitive this phenomena is more frequent, and even more if it's people who share a close bond with you.
I agree, but when you are close to someone, you know how they often think and feel, as well as what they may be doing at a particular time--so you have more chance of being right when you get an intuition.

Quote:
in these states of deep meditation, melodies, rythms and all sorts of ideas just come, and I know I'm not the one generating them, it is more like if they were being revealed to me, any rational explanation?
If you go with the idea that consciousness is everywhere, and you lose your sense of self by meditating, you may shed self-consciousness and inhibitions to the point of allowing creativity to flower. The energy is universal, but it is you who are manifesting it in the creation of melodies and other ideas.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,264,439 times
Originally Posted by Travelling fella
Quote:
this explanation seems pretty rational, maybe if we were able to deattach ourselves from our egoes, ESP would be much more common
The creative process (aka being in the zone) is all about letting the ego go and all about intuition (= intuitive action); it is about (re)acting without conscious thought.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,124,287 times
I think there is a lot out there we do not yet understand. I have no problem believing in the possibility that ESP, telekinesis, ghosts, aliens or any of the other wild speculation and scifi that is currently bandied about may be real. Not to say I would accept it at face value of someone came into my bedroom with a sheet over their head rattling chains but I'd be willing to explore the possibility.

The human race hasn't been around for very long... even in terms of "life on earth" much less terms of the universe as a whole. Science hasn't been around very long in terms of the human race even so to think we have a solid understanding of ourselves and the world, or beyond, around us is pretty naive.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,658,662 times
I do think it's interesting to note the specialized senses that different animals have that is far more developed than it is in human beings. We are limited to what we perceive by our senses. Our sight contains just a portion of the light spectrum, our hearing also has certain limitations and so does our sense of smell. For example the ability of the homing pigeon to find its way back to it's home are extrordinary and not understood. And consider the case of house pets like cats and dogs who've accidentally gotten lost while a family is on vacation and somehow walked from some unknown location hundreds of miles to their homes. This has happened many times. I'm not suggesting that this is some kind of telepathy but no one seems to be able to explain how they can do it. They obviously can't read road maps or signs on the highway. Of course there's nothing magic going on but it does make you wonder how we would perceive the world is we had the advanced sensory abilities of many animals.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,284,357 times
Yes, there are things we don't yet understand. And yet, despite copious research trying to determine if these things actually happen, all tests have shown the events occur at less than random chance. Even a blind chicken gets a grain of corn every now and then.
Quote:
I don't know what are your thoughts on this, but there's a phenomenon i've experienced that is thought transfer, it is not telepathy per se but when you are giving a lecture, or speaking to someone, sometimes your ideas are being transfered directly, not just by your body language or your words, but also your thoughts, the images you are having on your mind are being received by the other person as well, specially if there is strong eye contact.

other times that when I'm making music, if there is another person with me, my tracks are influenced by that, even if that person is not making any comment, any rational explanation?
If you have eye contact, you have non-verbal communication with that other person. Most communication is non-verbal. That's why there can be so much misunderstanding on the internet - no non-verbal cues. I can tell exactly what my dog wants without any verbal communication at all.

If you are aware of another person in the room, your own mind will have a different response. Tests have shown that people are more relaxed in the sole company of their pets than their spouses.

It is easy to explain away all of this sort thing as being entirely in your own mind. Especially since there is nothing we can find as a vehicle and using Occam's razor, in your mind is the most likely explanation. the major problem with thinking is the propensity to grasp at the least likely explanation for something instead of the most likely.

As for how a pet can find its way home from thousands of miles away. It is hard understand, but then the pet had to have been taken to the distant location in the first place. The vast majority do not ever find their way back from just a little ways away Those very few who do, may have had a much better sense of place and direction than the vast majority who are simply lost.

We have a tendency to grasp at the one off event and ignore the vast majority of ordinary events.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,633,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
As for how a pet can find its way home from thousands of miles away. It is hard understand, but then the pet had to have been taken to the distant location in the first place. The vast majority do not ever find their way back from just a little ways away Those very few who do, may have had a much better sense of place and direction than the vast majority who are simply lost.

We have a tendency to grasp at the one off event and ignore the vast majority of ordinary events.
True...When I was a kid we owned a collie who regularly got lost a block from the house. (I've heard he's been reincarnated as George W. Bush. )

Old 07-06-2008, 01:02 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,012,118 times
Nope

Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,934 times
I think the Laws of Physics as we know them are holding. I read a lot on the effect of extreme gravity possibly affecting the basics Laws of Physics, but as you say we have a long time before we get a full understanding of Physicist. I wish I could be here to see it all unfold.
As for ESP. I think there is a possibility we may be able to increase the brains ability to commutate with each other mentally (telepathy). I think some times my wife and I already do it .
I don’t think we will be moving things with our brains, nor looking into the future unless we also learn how to time travel which opens a new can of worms.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,658,662 times
I agree that seeing into the future seems impossible because that would mean that in some sense the future already exists and is sending messages back to the past. I can't conceive of any mechanism or phenomenon that could allow this to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism