Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I've had lucid dreams I think. And I've tried astral projection. And failed.
This thread is about lucid dreaming... the practice of learning to become aware of when you are dreaming in order that you can exercise some control over the events in the dream.

Astral projection is something else entirely. It is the entirely unsubstantiated set of notions that the person's consciousness can travel around independent of the body. It is woo, nonsense, unsubstantiated, misleading, and entirely off topic for this thread.

Someone advertised a mask above for sale which flashes lights at you when you are dreaming. It might work for some people but actually many people find cues WHILE conscious are useful to identify dream states while asleep. For example a digital watch that beeps every 15 minutes. A sleeper can become trained to notice that the watch is no longer beeping and hence identify a dream state.

Cultivating a mental discipline all the time of periodically asking "Am I dreaming" while awake can carry over to sleep as well as one is training oneself to ask the question at the right time too.

Identifying common features of your dreams and learning to watch for them is also a common practice. For example electronic equipment suddenly stopping working is a common attribute of peoples dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Scientifically . . . you not dreaming would be extremely unlikely. It is far more likely that you simply do not remember them. If we are not allowed to dream (by being deliberately awakened when REM begins) . . . we eventually begin hallucinating while awake. Dreams perform a critical balancing of our mental state during REM sleep. We all dream . . . but we do not all remember them.
Exactly. The only dreams I remember are ones I am awakened from, and only from deep enough sleep, and they are apt to evaporate in less than a minute if I don't fully awaken and write them down or tell someone about it or in some other way capture it immediately.

We dream every night, a lot, and just don't remember most of it. It's a short distance from there to remembering none of it.

Jung and his followers would claim that making the effort to remember and interpret dreams is worthwhile. I have made some effort in that direction a couple of times during my life when I've had the time, but found that roughly 50% of my dreams were clearly triggered by events of the previous day and were just random neurons firing; the other half lined up neatly with dream dictionaries as to their symbolism but didn't tell me anything I wasn't already quite aware of. Other people's mileage may vary. I think that if you suppress anything of importance in your waking state, they will come out in your dreams and may be enlightening.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I don't dream at all.
Everyone states that people dream, but I don't.
Ever try melatonin? Gives vivid dreams.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ever try melatonin? Gives vivid dreams.
I've tried it and it seemed to have no impact either on sleeping or dreaming.

My wife is an insomniac who uses it now and then and claims it helps a little with getting to sleep. She has vivid dreams now and again, whether or not she takes it.

So if it causes some people to dream, it's not very reliable across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism