Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times

Advertisements

I call BS.

The Czech Republic and the Baltic countries have about 40+% atheism rates and I didn't see them on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I call BS.

The Czech Republic and the Baltic countries have about 40+% atheism rates and I didn't see them on the list.
Czech is on the list so is Estonia, which is Baltic country. You missed it somehow.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Interestingly enough, the time I lived in Japan (which is number 5 on both lists!) was about as close to heaven as I have come. I would move back there again in a heartbeat. Not just because of the non-religious atmosphere but the culture, the way of life, everything about it was wonderful.
Yes. I have been interested in Japan as a culture because it seems to have developed relatively independent of Biblical influence.

I may spend half a week there during a trip next year or so. If there is something in particular that I should not miss, or a good tour, I would appreciate knowing.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Yeah, I love America, too, but I have always loved to travel and meet new people and learn new customs. Sweden is one of the nicest, friendliest countries I have ever been in. The people are healthy, happy, generous and extremely accepting. There are tons of ancient churches and many profess Lutheranism, but it is also the land of Odin and the Vikings.

My other favorite country is Australia. The animals!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Thought I'd bump this 2008 thread up for new viewers.

Imagine No Religion: Can a Society Be Successful Without It?

Old 04-20-2016, 04:26 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Thanks for the bump. This is (rather like irreligion stats) always of interest. I was surprised to see Ireland in there. Things have certainly changed over the last few decades. I take Vietnam with a pinch of salt. They put down what their government tells them to. Their real views they keep to themselves. The Scandinavian nations and the former communist ones have always figured well. It certainly puts paid to the idea that lack of religion leads to anarchy and collapse. The religious apologists point to high rates of suicide, but in the Northern countries, drinking and gloom have been known before the days of irreligion. nobody seems to know why. In Japan, the tradition of suicide and honourable and the pressures to compete, do well and have Face can surely lead to that way out.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thanks for the bump. This is (rather like irreligion stats) always of interest. I was surprised to see Ireland in there. Things have certainly changed over the last few decades. I take Vietnam with a pinch of salt. They put down what their government tells them to. Their real views they keep to themselves. The Scandinavian nations and the former communist ones have always figured well. It certainly puts paid to the idea that lack of religion leads to anarchy and collapse. The religious apologists point to high rates of suicide, but in the Northern countries, drinking and gloom have been known before the days of irreligion. nobody seems to know why. In Japan, the tradition of suicide and honourable and the pressures to compete, do well and have Face can surely lead to that way out.
I wouldn't just assume the Vietnamese numbers are hugely false. If you look at stats on the former communist nations, they are still significantly atheist even now that there's no one telling them what to say or what to think. Russia itself is one of the major exceptions, and even it has a pretty significant atheist demographic. In fact I was really surprised to not see more communist and former communist nations on the original list, my guess being that it would undermine the authors narrative that being irreligious is associated with great countries to live in, so they probably selected a metric that favoured the selection of NATO countries.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I wouldn't just assume the Vietnamese numbers are hugely false. If you look at stats on the former communist nations, they are still significantly atheist even now that there's no one telling them what to say or what to think. Russia itself is one of the major exceptions, and even it has a pretty significant atheist demographic. In fact I was really surprised to not see more communist and former communist nations on the original list, my guess being that it would undermine the authors narrative that being irreligious is associated with great countries to live in, so they probably selected a metric that favoured the selection of NATO countries.
Yes, you may be right. But I suspect there may be a lot more latent religion (mainly Buddhism) that would come out in the figures if they really had a democratic system instead of one party rulers. I could be wrong of course. I was surprised Not to see the Uk in there. Maybe it is some residual Limey delusions of God, Harry and St. George that needs to be knocked out of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism