Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times

Advertisements

Can't really make it winter soltice here because it is summer. It's really kind of stupid when you think about it. People here do all of the decorations of winter and even spray fake frost and snow on their windows, and it's boiling hot! Just goes to show how sucked in people are by the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 727 times
Various groups have Solstice celebrations. You may find a group in your area. Here in Raleigh, a ceremony will be held tonight at 7:00 pm at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh (Wade Ave). I often hear people question "the resaon for the Season." The actual reason for the winter holiday season is the Solstice! Most of the traditions (fire, evergreens, elves, ornaments, bells, mistletoe, candles, gifts and even Santa) were aspects of welcoming the return of the sun (light, warmth and longer days) after the shortest day of the year (Solstice). The Church added Christ, Christmas and the nativity later on. For me, I celebrate the "Light" within each person, that part of us that expresses love, joy peace, etc. in the world. For further reference: "Yule," by Dorothy Morrison (2000).

Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I don't technically "celebrate" it -- I mean I don't get naked and walk the circle shaking salt around and calling the Four Corners -- but I LOVE noting each change of season. It's so reassuring: certain things go on no matter what.

So, Happy winter solstice, everyone!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Some friends of ours have a tradition that we happily join in - they have a big party on the Solstice every year, and they keep a fire burning all night. People can come to the party and stay all night if they want. We always do.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I celebrate it in my heart.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Since I hate winter I see no reason to celebrate. I had to go to the grocery store today and it was freezing cold and this is like a heat wave compared to what the people are getting in the northern states today. I see nothing wrong with the idea though, it's just not something I've ever heard of anyone doing.
I love winter. We just don't get much of it here in Oklahoma. It was in the 70's yesterday.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
I love winter ales.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The only reason I celebrate the winter solstice is because the days get longer and fair weather is on it's way.
Well, actually, that *is* the original reason for celebrating the winter solstice! Because now the days would stop getting shorter and would start getting longer. Particularly in cold-winter weather areas, people really feared winter at one time. I mean it literally could kill. (Still does, sometimes.) The winter solstice celebration, whatever its name, was done to "nose-thumb" winter. It was to say, "We ARE going to make it." People celebrated with tons of excess, especially food, drink and gifts, to encourage plenty during the winter season v. lack during the winter season, using the "like attracts like" mindset.

ETA: I think you probably already know all this, sanspeur (you seem very knowledgeable in general) but I'm putting it up there for people who might not know. I don't want to sound condescending!!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:50 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
I've been reading about some Atheists celebrating this holiday as an alternative to the religious holidays. This sounds like an interesting idea. I'd be open to hearing about what traditions might be built up around this day.
I've never officially celebrated, but even as a child I waited for the first day of winter because I knew then that the light would slowly be coming back. Now that we have the Internet, I love to check the Sunrise/Sunset times website for my area.

A few years ago on an interreligious forum I asked a Wiccan/Pagan how she observed the Solstice, and she said that she and her daughter got up before dawn, put red and orange and yellow ribbons for the Sun and blue for Mother Sky into their horses' manes and then rode through the woods to chase the darkness until the sun came up. Later friends came over and they had a bonfire and everyone wrote down something that they don't want to take into the new light and threw it into the fire, then there was a big potluck supper and lots of candles in the house and they pretty much had an all-night party. I thought that was a great way to observe the day.

I mentioned this to my daughter this year. I am Christian (though not fundamentalist) and she is exploring Buddhism and other Eastern thought. We didn't do anything formal, but we did light candles and we talked about personal things that we both wanted to be different in our lives for next year and goals we each wanted to set for ourselves.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Any reason to chug-a-lug sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism