Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,964,451 times

Advertisements

I went to Catholic School from K-12. I used to get in a lot of trouble because I would question things they taught us in theology class. A lot of it never made sense to me. I never was a very good Catholic, I suppose. I went to my last mass somewhere in 1984. Though I am not an atheist (I returned to my native traditions as they made as much sense as anything else), I certainly do not harbor any animosity toward those who chose to remain Catholic or any other religion or even non-religion. Each person must come to that determination on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 PM

705 posts, read 1,112,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
You just kept saying how the nuns seemed evil in the eyes of a child, and suddenly "Catholicism is an evil and vile institution"? Where did that come from? You didn't actually talk about beliefs or anything, just accused the clergy of abusing you. That can hardly even be said for the Church as a whole or even most of those in it.
I didn't accuse the clergy of any abuse. I relayed facts from my time at a catholic school. I'm expressing my opinion, where do you think it came from. Check the news, the catholic church has provided plenty of reasons to make people feel like I do.

When nuns tell kids that the souls of infants that die before getting baptized go to purgatory, I consider that evil and vile. That's what they said, and as far as I'm concerned the catholic church is an evil institution, one which I despise and hold the deepest contempt for.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I didn't accuse the clergy of any abuse. I relayed facts from my time at a catholic school. I'm expressing my opinion, where do you think it came from. Check the news, the catholic church has provided plenty of reasons to make people feel like I do.

When nuns tell kids that the souls of infants that die before getting baptized go to purgatory, I consider that evil and vile. That's what they said, and as far as I'm concerned the catholic church is an evil institution, one which I despise and hold the deepest contempt for.

I think the issue was the souls going to PURGATORY - not that they had souls.
If you are going to comment on an atheist/agnostic thread that was clearly not meant for religious folks, at least READ the statement that you are commenting on.
Can someone explain to me why the religious folks insist on commenting on these threads! I'm new to these threads and am so excited about finding a forum for people seem to share many of my beliefs - it saddens me that even here, these people feel the need to try to change our minds. I just don't get it. I know I should just ignore them - it's just so hard!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM

360 posts, read 445,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think the issue was the souls going to PURGATORY - not that they had souls.
If you are going to comment on an atheist/agnostic thread that was clearly not meant for religious folks, at least READ the statement that you are commenting on.
Can someone explain to me why the religious folks insist on commenting on these threads! I'm new to these threads and am so excited about finding a forum for people seem to share many of my beliefs - it saddens me that even here, these people feel the need to try to change our minds. I just don't get it. I know I should just ignore them - it's just so hard!!!
I posted here because I noticed the most recent thread in the A&A thread was about Catholics, and I'm Catholic. Thought I'd see what it had to say.

Also, I realize I misread his post now.... I will go delete mine. Thank you.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,595,029 times
There was a tendency in the past for some girls to be, for lack of a better word, "nun-tracked." Their parents would decide they would be nuns and tell them from the start they should become a nun once they could. This happened some with boys and priests too.

Anyway the gal would become a woman and she would realize some things. Either she realized she didn't ever want to be a nun of any kind, it had just been her parents idea, or she didn't want to be the kind of nun who taught kids. However she might at this point feel "trapped" so feel that she not only had to be a nun but she also had to keep teaching at whatever school she taught at. And therefore she would maybe be unpleasant or difficult to kids and for that matter to other nuns. (In fairness some women who were "nun-tracked" actually liked it and liked being a nun. Galileo had two daughters he basically forced to be nuns. One of them really liked it from what we can tell, it fit her temperament and protected her from of the dangers of Renaissance Italy, but the other apparently hated it and became a drunk)

I think even in the secular world something like this happened. A woman really had no skill at teaching, but felt that was the only thing society allowed an educated woman to do. And maybe she felt that way because, at that time, teaching really was the only thing society allowed an educated woman to do. So she'd become a bitter unfulfilled pill.

I think this, either thing, happens much less now. The younger people I knew who went to schools led by nuns sometimes had the reverse problem. That being the nuns were so soft-hearted or happy-go-lucky they would kind of let the kids wander off aimlessly and maybe not protect them like they should. Or at least I hear way less of the "Sister made us wash the floors clean with toothbrushes" or "told us the Communists would come and kill us" type stuff from people under 50.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I went to Catholic School from K-12. I used to get in a lot of trouble because I would question things they taught us in theology class. A lot of it never made sense to me. I never was a very good Catholic, I suppose. I went to my last mass somewhere in 1984. Though I am not an atheist (I returned to my native traditions as they made as much sense as anything else), I certainly do not harbor any animosity toward those who chose to remain Catholic or any other religion or even non-religion. Each person must come to that determination on their own.

Exactly.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post

Purgatory is not hell you know. I guess you missed that lesson. Plus it was called Limbo and Limbo has been dropped by the church since we were little. The bottom line is the church believe all those babies go to heaven. Give us a break, geesh!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned

I'm sorry that I keep responding to you. It's my own fault really. I'm a very passionate person and I get very passionate about things! This has gotten completely off topic. The person who posted this thread wanted to hear other people's stories about how they left the Catholic Church. I'm very interested to hear these stories.
I apologize for getting caught up in a pointless debate. Please continue with the reaching the "age of Reason" stories!

Last edited by june 7th; 06-04-2010 at 06:07 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 AM

Well since I am a Catholic and this thread has some quite serious falsehoods about the Catholic church I find it my duty to respond. Sorry if you do not like that.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,595,029 times
It is true that this is the atheist/agnostic spot so I'm okay with them playing around here. I imagine they would do the same with a "when did you quit the Baptists" or Mormons or whatever. Their personal reasons for leaving a religion might be spurious, but I suppose it is their place to say why.

I do get a little annoyed that the General Discussion section on religion is also largely treated as an "Atheism and Agnosticism forum", devoted to all things A/A, but that complaint is best left for that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism