Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times

Advertisements

"...God, the absolute moral giver..."? We choose for ourselves whatever ethical framework we subscribe to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Default Morality does not exist for atheists

The essence of the argument from God is being missed and misconstrued. You are all correct that morals are arbitrary for atheists . . . which simply means they do not exist at all. Whoever has the gold or power decides all the moral issues, etc., etc. For their to be morality or values . . . there has to be a purpose. That which is constructive to the purpose is moral (has value) . . . that which is destructive to the purpose is immoral (has no value). Since atheists believe there is no purpose for humankind's existence (cosmic accident . . . random occurrence . . . law of large numbers . . . whatever) . . . there can be no morality. Whether we "accidents" continue to procreate and evolve or destroy ourselves and our environment completely is irrelevant . . . since accidents have no reason to be here in the first place. ONLY if there is a purpose for humankind can there be morality . . . THAT requires God (Creator . . . purpose-giver) . . . GENERICALLY. All the believers are saying is that those of you who profess morality . . . IMPLICITLY believe there is some raison d'etre for humankind . . . i.e. God..

Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The essence of the argument from God is being missed and misconstrued. You are all correct that morals are arbitrary for atheists . . . which simply means they do not exist at all. Whoever has the gold or power decides all the moral issues, etc., etc. For their to be morality or values . . . there has to be a purpose. That which is constructive to the purpose is moral (has value) . . . that which is destructive to the purpose is immoral (has no value). Since atheists believe there is no purpose for humankind's existence (cosmic accident . . . random occurrence . . . law of large numbers . . . whatever) . . . there can be no morality. Whether we "accidents" continue to procreate and evolve or destroy ourselves and our environment completely is irrelevant . . . since accidents have no reason to be here in the first place. ONLY if there is a purpose for humankind can there be morality . . . THAT requires God (Creator . . . purpose-giver) . . . GENERICALLY. All the believers are saying is that those of you who profess morality . . . IMPLICITLY believe there is some raison d'etre for humankind . . . i.e. God..
Patently ridiculous. And incredibly arrogant. You obviously have no notion of what morality is. Another false premise masking as logic.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
My point is this: What is the atheist foundation for absolute morals .
Well, let's start with the word "absolute" shall we. I suspect this is more of a christer term than an atheist one. As a rule, not absolute by any means, I have found it is better to be civil, it makes interaction with others easier. It has nothing to do with right or wrong, it is simply the path of least resistance. Also, "be polite" works fairly well too. Of course, in the 60's while I vacationed on Parris Island, S.C. politeness seemed to take on an entirely new meaning. I was taught that there is a time to "not be polite" and that any action in defense of myself, my buddies, or my country need not necessarily be polite, in fact, often times it was positively rude. I was later placed in positions in which, politeness would have gotten me and others, killed. I have never needed a "gawd" to tell me it may not be nice to kill, somehow I figured that out for myself. I am polite because, I choose to be, not out of necessity or fear. I was taught by experience to be polite until someone tries to harm me or others, at this point, do what needs to be done. Mythological beasties play no part in my decision making.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Patently ridiculous. And incredibly arrogant. You obviously have no notion of what morality is. Another false premise masking as logic.
neither has anyone on this thread undertaken to explain morality.

would anyone, before lashing out at others?

Morality and Ethics: An Introduction | chiroweb.com

much to google, then the question: WHY or how the need for it?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:54 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Which you have clearly demonstrated . . . no wait . . . you just declared it so! Hmmmm . . . where have I seen that tactic before. How DO you assign a non-Arbitrary value to actions, then?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
If we consider the concept of God as simply a powerful force that exists in and of all life, then in my experience absolute morality does not come from some "God" out there and it can be accessed through atheism, religion, or spirituality.

Instead, it is the pinnacle of conscious evolution. A highly evolved consciousness moves beyond any desire to kill, to steal, to cheat, etc... because that individual knows how to attract all that she needs without harming or taking from others, so there is simply no need for moral rules or codes.

The core problem with religion is it seeks to stop the process toward that elevated state short by dictating rules. Then, you get people suppressing who they really are and having it forced out in most unsavory ways.

Just look at Catholic priests. While a highly evolved person has little desire for physical sexuality (they operate on a spiritual sexuality that blows the physical out of the water), a normal person forced to arrest his sexual expression will do horrible things such as the priests have done to little boys. They aren't intrinsically bad people, just good people stuck in a very bad system.

That can be said for a lot of the strict right-and-wrong religious doctrines.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I'm not sure why or how compassion requires purpose. Why is that necessary again?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If we consider the concept of God as simply a powerful force that exists in and of all life, then in my experience absolute morality does not come from some "God" out there and it can be accessed through atheism, religion, or spirituality.

Instead, it is the pinnacle of conscious evolution. A highly evolved consciousness moves beyond any desire to kill, to steal, to cheat, etc... because that individual knows how to attract all that she needs without harming or taking from others, so there is simply no need for moral rules or codes.

The core problem with religion is it seeks to stop the process toward that elevated state short by dictating rules. Then, you get people suppressing who they really are and having it forced out in most unsavory ways.

Just look at Catholic priests. While a highly evolved person has little desire for physical sexuality (they operate on a spiritual sexuality that blows the physical out of the water), a normal person forced to arrest his sexual expression will do horrible things such as the priests have done to little boys. They aren't intrinsically bad people, just good people stuck in a very bad system.

That can be said for a lot of the strict right-and-wrong religious doctrines.
Here again, the whole argument starts from a false premise - that there is any such thing as absolute morality. Each society defines its own morality. Declaring it is from god is simply a device to exert the force of fear over individual behavior. But who declares that this god set down the morals? Humans who wish to exert their beliefs on others.

Societies also set out moral standards without using the force of a mythical deity. We call those laws and manners. No god is needed or called upon to set out these boundaries. A philosophy of fairness and kindness is all that is needed to set about secular laws and teach manners. Few religions actually are based on these morals.

Were there any absolute morality to be had, then all peoples would come to the same conclusions about what is right and wrong. But they do not. It varies wildly and contradictorily.

The so-called higher evolved being is once again a claim of superiority without basis. There are many not very bright people who live their lives in kindness and whom few could call immoral. They don't really think about it, they just are kind-hearted people. How is all the obfuscation in the world and attempts to self-justify and condemn others superior morality to this?

Also, while I agree with the unnaturalness of the catholic priesthood strictures, they do not drive all of them to victimize children. Were the premise true as stated, then most would behave in this way. But that is not true. I could easily argue that they are bad people - they have chosen to prey on those under their care. They have choices just like all the priests who choose not to behave like that, or even leave the priesthood so that they can live a more normal life.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 AM

30 posts, read 47,187 times
"Here again, the whole argument starts from a false premise - that there is any such thing as absolute morality."

Ah, but there is.

Morality — Ayn*Rand Lexicon

"Were there any absolute morality to be had, then all peoples would come to the same conclusions about what is right and wrong."

Are you saying that people can't make mistakes? It is because we CAN make mistakes that morality is needed. "Morality pertains only to the sphere of man’s free will—only to those actions which are open to his choice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism