Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,219 times

Advertisements

What would be the benefits? Here are a few off the top of my head:

1. Higher test scores in science.

2. Less discrimination against homosexuals, women, other races, etc.

3. No religious wars; although, I concede that wars over property, power and money would still occur.

4. More respect for other forms of life since were all animals.

5. Laws passed/repealed on the basis of modern logic rather than ancient 'wisdom'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post

3. No religious wars; although, I concede that wars over property, power and money would still occur.

5. Laws passed/repealed on the basis of modern logic rather than ancient 'wisdom'.

dear op, imho, you cannot have a society without religion, at best a society with religion abolished and/or prohibited. and then you would have to ask and research the historical accounts for the origins of the benefits you are anticipating right now.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Quote:

Nice thought, gives us all something to work for.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM

81 posts, read 144,504 times
Quote:

Although it would be nice, it would never happen. Unfortunately, I believe many (though certainly not all) religious people only live moral lives or attempt to make something of themselves in life because they think if they don't, they might be punished. An existensialist view of life may become prevelant for a while at least.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I agree that there would be benefits to society if mankind moved beyond religion but I have to agree with effie as far as the outright banning of religion is concerned. I believe in the complete freedom of thought and that would include the right to hold religious beliefs. I would hate to see my views as an atheist turned into something as barbaric as the long history of religion which has tried to stamp out any competing philosophy or religion. I would prefer to see the promotion of a simple live and let live attitude in which everyone would be accepted. I do believe that eventually religious beliefs will be left behind because we're simply going to outgrow them but I don't think that should be forced on anyone.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,633 times
Societies without religion or are the least religious tend to be much more progressive than those who haven't awoken from the slumber of superstition. Here are some of the benefits of a society with religion:

YouTube - Greydon Square - "The Dream" Video

Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM

157 posts, read 243,942 times
Quote:

1. I'd like to see the quantified evidence for this one. I do not see the correlation. Interestingly enough, my daughter attends public school in a town that's not particularly religious, she believes in God, and she's usually the top science student in her class, if not her entire grade. It's her favorite subject, and one she intends to pursue passionately for a career (particularly in the archaeological and anthropological fields).

2. This one may have some merit.

3. Like you conceded, humans will always find reasons to war.

4. Again, not seeing the correlation. There may be specific religions that have no respect for animals, but this is not true of all religions; and there are plenty of non-religious people who abuse animals (I unfortunately know this from personal experience).

5. This one scares me. I never want our laws to be based on "fad" thinking or mass hysteria, but rather on careful study of past lessons learned. I find this one, in general, to be unrelated to religion. If you mean that there would be no legislation based strictly on religious tenets, then I could get behind that.

In the spirit of being open-minded, the only potential benefits I can see are:

(1) People, on average, might be more inclined to live for today, to fully enjoy the present, if they thought this was all that there was.
(2) None of us would ever again have to hear: "You're going to burn in hell because you don't agree with me on this!" Though I suppose, there will just be some other dire threat to replace it.

It is a very interesting topic, though.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
A lot of people need to be controlled by fear. Most of the societies without religon are well-educated and wealthy to begin with (i.e. it is likely the nature of the rational society that led to less religon as opposed to the lack of religon that lead to more rational society). I'm not sure the lack of religon is a good thing in undereducated poor societies.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM

157 posts, read 243,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Societies without religion or are the least religious tend to be much more progressive than those who haven't awoken from the slumber of superstition.
You think the Soviet Union, especially under Stalin, was progressive? That's not a direction I want to progress in! It wasn't exactly known for its respect for human rights (or animals either).

Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
It is not clear why people wound automatically be better at science if there was no religion. That is its not clear how the existence of religion in a culture reduces in some way the aggregate intelligence in the population.

Also, religion is rather general. The distinction between a religious society and say a secular society is not that cut and dry particularly from a functional perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism