Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,702,174 times

Advertisements

Like Star Trek?

I do, there must be. The universe is just too vast.

Although having been a Trek fan for so long, I think when we do finally meet aliens as a society, the entire notion of the Star Trek universe will be over and such a downer

I mean we all love the idea of Vulcans and Cardassians, etc and look forward to Federation like tech and ships one day. But it probably won't turn out that way. I know its fiction but it would still be sad to verify there's no Vulcans out there, No Spocks. lol

Glad I'll be gone when that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:57 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,757,504 times
I think it's possible, as our universe is monumentally enormous. So large, in fact, that it's nearly impossible for most of us to fully grasp the size of it. That should, in theory, increase the odds of some sort of life having formed on other planets. However, it seems very unlikely that alien lifeforms would be anything like our own, unless their planet was practically identical to Earth. Of course, I suppose there is also the possibility that a planet would have to be practically identical to ours if any sort of life were to ever begin. Perhaps no other "recipe" could result in life. I honestly have no idea, I'm basically just thinking "out loud".

Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,910,061 times
BORG!!!!!

It seems unlikely that we are the only living beings but if we're going down the Star Trek road I truly don't ever want to deal with Borg!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think it's possible, as our universe is monumentally enormous. So large, in fact, that it's nearly impossible for most of us to fully grasp the size of it. That should, in theory, increase the odds of some sort of life having formed on other planets. However, it seems very unlikely that alien lifeforms would be anything like our own, unless their planet was practically identical to Earth. Of course, I suppose there is also the possibility that a planet would have to be practically identical to ours if any sort of life were to ever begin. Perhaps no other "recipe" could result in life. I honestly have no idea, I'm basically just thinking "out loud".
Its interesting you say that. Once asked why there were so many human-like races in Star Trek, the creators said something similar, That to out knowledge, life would form very simlar to ours, so humanoids would be the likely types. But we don't know.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,006,931 times
Just the fact that we are here on this planet lends itself to life being on other planets. If life can evolve on Earth there is no reason to assume that life can not evolve on other planets. The Drake Formula predicts life could be abundant throughout the universe.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Just the fact that we are here on this planet lends itself to life being on other planets. If life can evolve on Earth there is no reason to assume that life can not evolve on other planets. The Drake Formula predicts life could be abundant throughout the universe.
Thats what I think too. We're just too far away from each other to say "hey" yet.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,283 times
Not that I necessarily subscribe to this but:

What about the notion that we are the first life form to evolve? After all, life had to start somewhere.

It is a scary thought that we may be the most advanced species in the universe.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,757,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Not that I necessarily subscribe to this but:

What about the notion that we are the first life form to evolve? After all, life had to start somewhere.

It is a scary thought that we may be the most advanced species in the universe.
That is an interesting idea. Another thing to ponder: What will the human race eventually become? Will we eventually "breed out" some of our defects? For example, humans seem to be especially susceptible to lower back pains and injuries. Some speculate this is because we have not been walking upright long enough for our spines to adapt to this. If that's the case, will we eventually be better equipped for bipedal conveyance? What if we, in our attempt to live lives of ease and leisure, prevent our species from eliminating weak backs from the gene pool? Mind you, I'm merely speculating.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:05 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Viable.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Like Star Trek?

I do, there must be. The universe is just too vast.

Although having been a Trek fan for so long, I think when we do finally meet aliens as a society, the entire notion of the Star Trek universe will be over and such a downer

I mean we all love the idea of Vulcans and Cardassians, etc and look forward to Federation like tech and ships one day. But it probably won't turn out that way. I know its fiction but it would still be sad to verify there's no Vulcans out there, No Spocks. lol

Glad I'll be gone when that happens.
I really don't.

It's possible that God created life on other planets though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism