Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Do you read posts in the parent forum to this, Religion and Philosophy, and end up sitting there in disbelief saying to yourself, "My god, how can these people be so damn stupid, gullible and brainwashed, that they actually believe the nonsense they are spouting"?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Not in those exact words, necessarily. But I do sometimes wonder how folks can honestly believe some of that stuff. Even in my most devout of Bible believing days I wouldn't have been able to buy into some of the stuff I've seen regurgitated on forums like these.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you read posts in the parent forum to this, Religion and Philosophy, and end up sitting there in disbelief saying to yourself, "My god, how can these people be so damn stupid, gullible and brainwashed, that they actually believe the nonsense they are spouting"?
Yeah....I do sometimes.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM

147 posts, read 312,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I like to use the quote from Stephen Uhl "Everyone learns at different rates". Can you honestly get upset for someone being truly ignorant?

Throwing away valid evidence to make yourself feel better about your beliefs is the only unacceptable action. This goes for theists and atheists alike.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Yeah....I do sometimes.
..coming from someone who believes in sky zombies, global floods and talking snakes.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I'm not really for or against religion. I'm not religous myself, but whatever. I'm a good person who focuses on my family, friends and job.

I went into the Christianity and the parent forums out of pure curiousity - and I have to admit I was somewhat in shock at some of the things people were asking and saying. As if they lived almost EVERY aspect of their lives revolving around the bible and what other christians thought and how to handle every single little situation.

I don't get involved, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm not really for or against religion. I'm not religous myself, but whatever. I'm a good person who focuses on my family, friends and job.

I went into the Christianity and the parent forums out of pure curiousity - and I have to admit I was somewhat in shock at some of the things people were asking and saying. As if they lived almost EVERY aspect of their lives revolving around the bible and what other christians thought and how to handle every single little situation.

I don't get involved, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me.
I go into the Christian forum for a quick giggle sometimes. It's funny to see people passive aggresively arguing about whose more Christian. It's also funny to see them quoting scripture and then patting themselves on the back for doing so.

At least in the Atheist forum we can have joke threads and be fun

Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
I have no problem with individual/ personal Christian faith. I have a big problem with Christians who want to use the cramming/coercion tool, and make this a Christian nation. It would be terrible to have everyone steeped in homogenized thought. Athiests can be very moral. They don't need dogma when common sense will do.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
I like to use the quote from Stephen Uhl "Everyone learns at different rates". Can you honestly get upset for someone being truly ignorant?

Throwing away valid evidence to make yourself feel better about your beliefs is the only unacceptable action. This goes for theists and atheists alike.
What valid evidence of a god thing are atheists throwing away?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 PM

122 posts, read 224,410 times
@TS:

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism