Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times

Advertisements

Anyone who thinks that Stein is an advocate of science or even competent in the subject should read this quote:

Newsvine - Ben Stein: Science = Murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Anyone who thinks that Stein is an advocate of science or even competent in the subject should read this quote:

Newsvine - Ben Stein: Science = Murder

Ask his opinion about health care. Then confirm that his religion does not equal politics.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:35 PM

222 posts, read 581,336 times
I don't know what is the deal with the Ben Stein, because he sounds like a reasonable man, but apparently he chooses to support religious side (Jewish and Christian). Most likely he calculated that it will bring him more $$.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Yes, I think his statement clearly identifies him as a stupid person.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM

520 posts, read 895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It's more than that though, Ben Stein is being willfully ignorant, which is something i absolutely abhor.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Ah-hem:

"Stein was the commencement speaker for the Liberty University 2009 graduation on Saturday, May 9, at Williams Stadium. [7] At this ceremony, the University awarded him an honorary degree. According to the school, Stein "delivered a message of creationism, patriotism and value for humanity to graduates and their families."[8]"

Ben Stein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That speaks volumes about who Ben Stein really is. Liberty University fercrissakes. Oy.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Perhaps it's just me but I've always suspected that places like The Discovery Institute and Answers in Genesis are up to more than just spreading lies and misinformation about actual science. I truly suspect that they offer large sums of money to people with advanced college degrees and other spokespersons of intelligence to lie for their cause.

Looking back at the history of the Creationist movement and prior to their court losses in the 80's and in 2001, the vast majority of their movement was comprised of people holding degrees from "degree mills" and the like.

As the public became more aware of their non-scientific approach to things, I think it became necessary to hire people with actual degrees and doctorates, as well as publicly known spokespersons of "intelligence."

My bet is that those actual "scientists" (by credential) who are on the payroll make much more money working for these places than they do as actual scientists. It takes a lot of money to convince someone to stand up in front of the public in order to promote something they know is not true. Yet, everyone has their price.

Ben Stein was a part-time contributor to the New York Times for quite a while. My honest guess is that he was approached by one (or both) of these organizations to become a spokesman for their Jesus smut and offered a substantial sum of money to do so.

Personally, I don't think Ben Stein thinks that "science equals murder" or that he even believes in Creationism or Intelligent Design (though it is possible). I actually think he's sold his public image for a pretty substantial amount of money. I think that's what the majority of the "scientists" affiliated with those places have done. They're merely willing to take the brunt of the public ridicule sent their way in exchange for money.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
As if he hasn't already said stupid things in the past.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,414 times
I saw Ben Stein on Hannity a while back. There were discussing the existence of god. Ben's remark to Hannity is a classic, "Have you ever seen a sunset in Manhattan? Come on, there has to be a god!" Nice arguement, Ben.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
As Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon". Which is a polite way of saying 'moron'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism