Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 AM

101 posts, read 289,159 times

Advertisements

Hey Atlanta. I need your help with honest, non-bias opinions. I currently living in Cleveland, OH and am moving to either ATlanta or Las Vegas within the next month. I need to know you all honest opinion about what you think will be the better move. I have a husband and 2 girls ages 9 and 5 if that helps in making a decision. I love ATL and have a sister, brother in law and 3 niece and nephews there, but I also have heard it is extremely difficult to find a job there. I worked in Las Vegas earlier this year for about a month and it was easy to get a job. This could be a isolated instance so that;s why I need help deciding. Please help ATL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Go with the place where it's easier to find a job. Unless the heat is going to be too much for you. Easy choice.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
It all depends on the industry you are in....Obviously Vegas has a major hospitality industry Atlanta's is fairly large but not on the Vegas scale. I lived in Atlanta for 10 years (up until this past May) and I never had a problem finding a job. I did a lot of customer service and admin assistant there. Atlanta is bigger and has much more to do. And it seems you already have family there so you would have that support system lined up. Atlanta is very diverse and there is something for everyone there. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 PM

483 posts, read 854,386 times
Start sending out resumes/job applications to job openings in your field to both cities. Whichever one offers you a job to your liking, move there. If we weren't in this economical disaster, I would advise you to move to Atlanta since you have family and a support system there and, imo, there's way more to do in ATL than LV.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:56 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaY12345 View Post
Hey Atlanta. I need your help with honest, non-bias opinions. I currently living in Cleveland, OH and am moving to either ATlanta or Las Vegas within the next month. I need to know you all honest opinion about what you think will be the better move. I have a husband and 2 girls ages 9 and 5 if that helps in making a decision. I love ATL and have a sister, brother in law and 3 niece and nephews there, but I also have heard it is extremely difficult to find a job there. I worked in Las Vegas earlier this year for about a month and it was easy to get a job. This could be a isolated instance so that;s why I need help deciding. Please help ATL!!!!!
If you dont have a job lined up in either city or substantial savings then dont move anywhere especially not in a month. I would scrap that whole idea to begin with. Moving within a month you should have a job and possible a place or atleast know which area you want to live in. Dont rush it. If you absolutely have to move then it should be where you have family to assist you financially and emotionally.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:10 PM

101 posts, read 289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Go with the place where it's easier to find a job. Unless the heat is going to be too much for you. Easy choice.
Can you expond on your answer. Both Vegas and Atlanta are extremely hot but two different kinds of heat, one humid (Atlanta) and one dry (Vegas) so can you tell me which one you speaking of?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM

461 posts, read 666,906 times
I'd pick Vegas. Housing is cheap and jobs are plentiful if you work in the hotel industry. I grew up in Vegas and in the 70/80s there wasn't much for a kid to do, but that has changed now.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Quote:
Can you expond on your answer. Both Vegas and Atlanta are extremely hot but two different kinds of heat, one humid (Atlanta) and one dry (Vegas) so can you tell me which one you speaking of?
I was saying Vegas. The economy has to be better than in Georgia which it was just announced lost the 2nd most jobs last month of any state except California.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
It's more than just a difference in humid and dry heat...Atlanta is hot 3 months out of the year and really beautiful most of the other 9 months, while Las Vegas has much more heat much more often. There is no comparison concerning which one has more comfortable weather and 4 true seasons.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM

143 posts, read 346,046 times
From what I've heard, Vegas's economy is terrible right now. Las Vegas had the nation's highest foreclosure rate in 2009, and the city's current unemployment rate is well above 14% - makes Atlanta's 10.3% seem reasonable by comparison. I wouldn't be moving to Vegas right now without a job lined up or a huge savings account.

Vegas Jobless Rate At 14.5 Percent - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: