Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM

16 posts, read 40,918 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a loft. Among the properties we liked was The Stacks in Cabbagetown. Can anyone give us any information, good or bad, about this building and location. Anything concerning crime, safety, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,972 times
I've worked very close to there for about 11 years. I have friends that live in that building (owners). I like the lofts a lot. The view is pretty cool from the roof. You would be really close to a lot of great restaurants, downtown Atlanta, Grant Park etc.. Even Oakland Cemetery is a pretty cool place to have a picnic. Crime is what it is here though. I wouldn't say it's much more than any other place intown. It's pretty safe during the day, but there are panhandlers. Obviously you have to use you brain when walking around here. You probably shouldn't walk up and down Memorial at 3 in the morning. Just saying.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM

135 posts, read 533,417 times
I have lived there since last November and like it a lot.

As with any condo/apartment, there will be noise from neighbors. I've only had one neighbor throw a party, and he let me know before-hand and even invited me to it. The lady above me walks in high heels frequently. Overall it really doesn't bother me, but that's just me.

On the other hand, with only one exterior wall, it didn't take much to heat/cool the place. During summer, I leave my unit off while at work and it will be around 81 when I get home.

As for safety - pretty safe within the comlex. I've heard of 1 or 2 cars getting broken into, but on average less often than most Atlanta (because it is gated). Not too much within walking distance, but I have walked as close to Carroll St Cafe, and as far as Tin Lizzy's.

I also travel frequently (almost weekly) and walk to MARTA when I need to go to the airport. A bit further than I'd prefer, and probably would not do it at night, but haven't had a problem as of yet.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:20 PM

23 posts, read 74,787 times
Default The Stacks and Cabbagetown

I'm moving to Atlanta in August and looking at Real Estate in the area. One of the places I'm considering is The Stacks in Cabbagetown. Does anybody have any thoughts on that property or the area? I've heard some mixed things about the property when it was a rental, but I haven't seen a lot about what people are thinking about it now that units are for sale.

I'd also like to visit some of their competition, like Studioplex or the loft buildings in Castleberry. Any thoughts on those places would be useful too. I was hoping to be much closer to Midtown, but a lot of the best loft buildings seem to be a little further away.

Thoughts?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM

135 posts, read 533,417 times
The Stacks In Cabbagetown

Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 PM

222 posts, read 753,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
I'm moving to Atlanta in August and looking at Real Estate in the area. One of the places I'm considering is The Stacks in Cabbagetown. Does anybody have any thoughts on that property or the area? I've heard some mixed things about the property when it was a rental, but I haven't seen a lot about what people are thinking about it now that units are for sale.

I'd also like to visit some of their competition, like Studioplex or the loft buildings in Castleberry. Any thoughts on those places would be useful too. I was hoping to be much closer to Midtown, but a lot of the best loft buildings seem to be a little further away.

Thoughts?
My grandfather worked in that mill for 50 years. They did a good job with the lofts. We had many family members, living in the actual Cabbagetown houses. The original mountain folks like my family are long gone. I sold my last house there. It was painful, but not much of the charm was left. Both the lofts and the neighborhood are now yuppster.

The area has made a lot of strides, after a real decline in the 70's. However, you can get in trouble real fast, on any street surrounding the loft. Real fast. Still overall, if I was young and single I would enjoy it. It's close to Little Five points, which is one of my all-time favorites to hang at. Cabbagetown itself even has some good bars and restaurants these days. Nice to be able to walk to such things.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks, ulver. That's very helpful. I like that you offer a sense for the feel of the neighborhood. It definitely seems like a neighborhood in transition. My hope would be that it continues to make strides without losing all of its character. That character is definitely one of the things that is drawing me to the area. I think having buyers move into the Stacks, as opposed to renters, should help with that. My experience is that owners tend to be a little more neighborly than renters (although that's not always the case, of course).

Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 PM

I've heard that they redid the sound insulation between the walls when they converted from rentals to condos. Of course, you're right, Chacho, any condo will have some noise, but I've read some pretty strong feelings about supposedly "paper-thin" walls in the rental units at Stacks. It's good to know that you haven't had much of a problem with that. Are you in one of the rental buildings or one of the condo buildings?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
I've worked very close to there for about 11 years. I have friends that live in that building (owners). I like the lofts a lot. The view is pretty cool from the roof. You would be really close to a lot of great restaurants, downtown Atlanta, Grant Park etc.. Even Oakland Cemetery is a pretty cool place to have a picnic. Crime is what it is here though. I wouldn't say it's much more than any other place intown. It's pretty safe during the day, but there are panhandlers. Obviously you have to use you brain when walking around here. You probably shouldn't walk up and down Memorial at 3 in the morning. Just saying.
Thanks for the info. We love the building, but are concerned about the neighborhood not being too happening (as far as lots of places to walk to like cafes, galleries, etc.) and the crime issue. We're also looking to check out Decatur, Roswell and a few others (we're currently living in New York).

Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks Chacho. Do you rent or own one of the lofts? I heard that the rentals are very poorly managed (that it's a different management company than the lofts for sale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: