Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 PM

18 posts, read 70,693 times

Advertisements

Hello so my wife and I are relocating to the Atlanta suburbs in three months, I know kind of quick! My wife works from home so she does not have to commute. I will work at home most of the time but occasionally I will go into an office in Buckhead for meetings, so commute is not a big thing. But we do not want to be far from downtown and Buckhead, because we will regularly go in for dinner and shopping. We like living in the suburbs but being able to go into the city whenever.
We have three children(so far);Five year old daughter, Three year old son, and Ten month old son. So the schools are important to us we will use public or private depending on what we find out about the local schools. Another thing is we are an interracial couple(I am white she is black) so we want to make sure we will be accepted in the neighborhood as well as our biracial children.
We are looking at:
Duluth: Sugarloaf Country Club (Gwinnett County) and St. Marlo Country Club(except it is in Forsyth County which does not seem to diverse so therefore less diverse schools and we do not love how it is not a private club)
Alpharetta/Johns Creek: Country Club of the South(Fulton County)
Any other neighborhoods that others could recommend would be great, except we do not really like The Manor, it seems to be in a kind of odd location then also all of the foreclosures and The River Club it seems a bit inconvenient. We would prefer not to go above 2.75 million but we can go over but it would have to be amazing.
Thank you in advance for all of the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:25 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandtoAtlanta View Post
Hello so my wife and I are relocating to the Atlanta suburbs in three months, I know kind of quick! My wife works from home so she does not have to commute. I will work at home most of the time but occasionally I will go into an office in Buckhead for meetings, so commute is not a big thing. But we do not want to be far from downtown and Buckhead, because we will regularly go in for dinner and shopping. We like living in the suburbs but being able to go into the city whenever.
We have three children(so far);Five year old daughter, Three year old son, and Ten month old son. So the schools are important to us we will use public or private depending on what we find out about the local schools. Another thing is we are an interracial couple(I am white she is black) so we want to make sure we will be accepted in the neighborhood as well as our biracial children.
We are looking at:
Duluth: Sugarloaf Country Club (Gwinnett County) and St. Marlo Country Club(except it is in Forsyth County which does not seem to diverse so therefore less diverse schools and we do not love how it is not a private club)
Alpharetta/Johns Creek: Country Club of the South(Fulton County)
Any other neighborhoods that others could recommend would be great, except we do not really like The Manor, it seems to be in a kind of odd location then also all of the foreclosures and The River Club it seems a bit inconvenient. We would prefer not to go above 2.75 million but we can go over but it would have to be amazing.
Thank you in advance for all of the help!
All of those communities are really great. Honestly, you will have to visit and see which suits your preference more. All are also in great school clusters. The only one that you may stick out more in is St. Marlo, but even then, I doubt it. I also highly doubt you or your children would encounter any problems anywhere in metro Atlanta you move. CCOS may be a bit more convenient to Buckhead, but if you're not commuting often Sugarloaf isn't that much further. Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,594 times
We currently live in Pasadena, CA but purchased (in October) a beautiful lakefront home in the south of Snellville (I hate the name but the area is beautiful). Perhaps I am biased by the (now somewhat deflated but still expensive) home prices in Southern California but I was astounded by the values we found. Our place is 5 bedrooms, 5 baths, just shy of 5000 square feet,brick exterior, 2 story, fronts on Lake Wynterset (really a pond, probably 5 to 8 acres) but very lovely), about 1 acre lot.....bought it for $300K. We are also interracial, I'm white, my wife is Jamaican....there are other mixed couples in the little community around the lake. We have no issues with Atlanta, very tolerant, very exciting.
Hope this helps

Bill Palmer

Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM

28 posts, read 81,543 times
Default The Manor

This is great neighborhood. The club and golf course are amazing. The people are all very nice. You really should reconsider. The neighborhood is filled with kids of all ages. We looked everywhere and we are very satisfied

Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Default The Manor

By the way we are a black family. My kids are doing great

Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Default The manor

Last Thing!!. The school district is phenomenal it sold us ultimately!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandtoAtlanta View Post
Your preferred location sounds like the Sugarloaf CC. It is very convenient to the 85 freeway for trips into Atlanta. Just a quick ride down Meadow Church Rd. to Boggs to 85. The other locations mentioned are farther from the freeway and will make the trip less convenient. Also Sugarloaf is close to great shopping. Discover Mills is very close and is a very kid friendly mall. It was my favorite in the area. Also its a very short drive via freeway or local backroads to the Mall of Georgia. I also prefer the Sugarloaf area for better and safer roads. Compare driving on Sugarloaf Parkway or Satellite Blvd. to the narrow two lane roads in North Fulton.

Mason is the elementary school for the Sugarloaf area. Check out the diverse demographics of that school.

M. H. Mason Elementary School - Duluth, Georgia - GA

Bunten Rd. Park in Duluth is also right behind Sugarloaf CC. They have tons of kids sports & summer programs etc. Also Sugarloaf is convenient to lots of restaurants in the Duluth area if you are working from home and just want to go for lunch. Here is a link to a previous post on that topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11811130-post9.html

Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 AM

18 posts, read 70,693 times
So it looks like it is now down to Sugarloaf and Country Club of the South, because we have been out to where The Manor is, it is beautiful, but the roads leading out are kind of rural and it feels a bit to removed. Then St. Marlo is pretty much off the list because of the whole Forsyth County thing, and there are not too many homes there we would say we want to buy, then also how it is not completely private. So any other info about Sugarloaf and Country Club of the South would be excellent! We do like the roads around Sugarloaf much better! There is also the Kroger right across the street and a Publix right around the corner, my wife's parents and my parents both say Publix is better, lol. Also what neighborhood(Sugarloaf or Country Club of the South) is regarded as being "better" in Atlanta society. I found an article about how Allen Iverson's house in CCOS was badly built and read another forum about problems with CCOS houses, but I do not know if everything is true so if anybody knows anything that would be great. We do like a bit how Sugarloaf homes are newer, but some homes in CCOS have been redone and they are amazing.
Thanks, we cannot wait to live in the Atlanta suburbs, I remember when I was never going to live in the "suburbs"!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
OP check your messages. As said, Sugarloaf is a nice area.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Try Roswell west of 40 along with Milton. There are so many restaurants in that area that we find ourselves not wanting to go into Buckhead/Midtown. (and moving here from New York we were used to variety and quality dining. Also lots to do, fun neighborhood stores, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta